Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

How many years until my ryukins get full grown?

I know fish never stop growing but I was wondering in general, how many years until my Ryuins get full grown?

How are you defining full grown—of sexual maturity or something else?

I'm speaking of when they get to there general largest size. My goldfish are doubling in size every 6 months so I must be doing something right.

It depends on mostly genetics of how large a fish will get. A big Role is water quality and food. Some of my fish are two years old and not near full size yet. One is only 4 inches in body length, but 8+" including tail. She still has some growing to do as do my others.

Edited by Mikey

I have a TON of filtration and my water parameters are always good. They get New Life Spectrum Goldfish Forumla 4 times a day. Goldfish's "gullet" for lack of a better term can hold about the size of their eyeball so that's the amount I give them 4 times a day. There really growing fast.

I think largest size is rather ambiguous. Like Mikey said, genetics are an important factor. To vaguely borrow from a German idealist, the potential of a seed to become a plant is inherent, but it does not mean the seed will become a plant. Goldfish do most of their growing in the first 2-3 years of their life. When growth starts to slow down significantly I would consider that fish 'full grown'.

I think if your fish are growing and you are not overfeeding, they are healthy and swimming happily, then that is all that should matter. :)

Edited by dan in aus

Fish need space, high quality water and food as needed. I rich about 1 KG wight for my GF in one year (earthen pond )

Some rough estimates are that goldfish reach about half their ultimate length between 1.5 and 2 years of age.  After that,growth in length slows with every year, with most fish growing little if at all in length after 5 years.  Older fish do get thicker and taller and fins may continue to get longer in older fish.

Maximizing growth is part of the process of grooming a potential show fish.  The basic idea is to feed lots of high-quality food, multiple times a day (usually by machine) while providing lots of clean water, since the fish will be producing vast quantities of waste.  

I don't think genetics has much to do with it.  Some runts may have sub-lethal mutations that  lead to failure to grow, but most seem to be perfectly healthy.  People have tried to produce mini goldfish by breeding runts to runts without success.  

Well that explains why mine are growing so fast! I just wanted a ballpark so I can know what year to breed the guys? Do they have more fry the older they get/

I wad also going to ballpark 5 years.

Most goldfish are ready to spawn at about one year of age.  I have had fry from parents who were not more than six months, but life goes faster for cold-blooded critters in FL.  Breeders say that goldfish produce their biggest spawns starting at 3 years, but I'm not sure when they decline.

Born on 15th Sep -14

438b4d7f24f461dc1ccc6dbb52b50e5b.jpg

Edited by hassan.zidan

Wow, they are beautiful!  What is the deep magenta on their gill covers?

those arnt pictures of my fish but they are the same size.

Born on 15th Sep -14

438b4d7f24f461dc1ccc6dbb52b50e5b.jpg

This is the fastest I've ever seen fish get tubercles.

Wow, they are beautiful! What is the deep magenta on their gill covers?

They are lacking guanine, so the color is the gills.

Edited by Ichthius

I'm a total goldfish n00b, so I had to look up "guanine."  Thanks for posting the pictures, hissan.zidan, and for the explanation, Ichthius!