Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

After the eggs get sticky...

I've breed goldfish before in tanks with tons of eloda growing in them. The eggs stick to the plants and hatch about 4 days later. This year I want to manually breed them. So I'm wondering aftet the eggs are fertalized they get sticky and stick to the bottom of the container. Is there a point where they become unstuck or do I just have to wait until they hatch? I'm also going to buy a camera as soon as I can afford it so you guys can help me out with selecting the fish I should breed. I have a 20 gallon breeding tank with a ton of eloda growing in it. I put it in the window so the eloda will flourish. A lot of my ryukins had anal fins outside there tail fins. I fixed them with a knitting needle.

what will you do with the fry? from my understanding, you're already overstocked. fry take some time to grow where it concerns your selection of a few to keep breeding for the fish you want.. was it a black Ryukin? I am not sure that members will feel comfortable encouraging you on your venture to breed goldfish without knowing of some achievable plan from you on how the excess goldfish will be provided for.

I inherited 7 100 gallon fish tanks from the North Bay Herpetological Society. People bring them in when they turn in their iguanas. They were just sitting in a back yard collecting mosquitos. I have 1000 gallon pond made of ABS sewer conduit, a 500 gallon water tank and a 300 gallon preformed fiberglass pond that is free standing. My only problem is finding walls in the house that are load bearing where the floor joists are perpendicular to the fish tank. I have plenty of space. Now it's just a matter of buying filtration for them. I'm guessing 339.00 dollars for each tank on the inside and there have been a bunch of advances in outdoor filtration so I have to learn it all over again. I'm also planning to build a koi pond that is 20' by 5' in the rose garden. My entire garden is wheelchair accessible. Many disabled people have sections of their own. Just like me they only feel their divinity when they are in their garden (and me with my goldfish). My mother made a scent/tea garden for the visually impaired and the local school metal shop made the brail signs. Anyway I digress; I'm guessing I can afford to equip one tank with a Fluval canister filter a month. Or I might borrow some money from my shop.

Your concern for the future goldfish shows a strength of character. Thank you for your concern. I also run the local Gold Fish Rescue email Today I had an owner turn in of 42 fancy goldfish. She neglected to cycle the tank and they are a mess. They all have horrible fin rot and their fins are perminantly deformed. I did get a nice tank out of it. Haven't measured it yet so I don't know how many gallons it is. I don't know how I'm going to adopt out such deformed goldfish. I think for now they will go in a friends pond. (after I treat them for fin rot).

Edited by Koko
No public emails.

I also have 20 male Prussian Carp I intend to cross back into selected goldfish lines. It has been hypothisised that this would give rise to new colors and mutations that have not been previously expressed. Although it looks like I could use any kind of carp. The ancestry of goldfish has not been definitively proven. Some think it to be a hybrid between a Prussian carp and a common carp. I like the uniformity of the scales of wild carp and their sturdy nature and pleasing shape. I'm also hoping for hybrid gigantism. Make a bigger fancy goldfish. If I'm lucky I can get a tetraploid goldfish. Did you know wild russet potatoes (solanaci tuberosum) is tiny? All the large potatoes you eat are four times bigger than their ancestors because they have 4 times the amount of genetic material. Can you imagine a 6.6LBS ryukin?

I'm going to put heaters in the other two tanks I'm cycling to increase the nitrifying bacteria's mitosis. I read they grow best between 72 and 86 degrees farenheit. I don't want to wait the extra 3 weeks. I'm pushing the boundaries of my filtration as is and my goldfish are too important to me.

if the only answer you require is "will the eggs detach from the surface of which they are stuck to?" then, i believe the answer is no. they stay affixed to the surface until they hatch. which is why breeders use spawning mops if plants are not available. but if you're manually spawning your females and manually milting the males, that shouldn't be an issue since you will be holding the male during this process.. check youtube for vids from breeding farms in China/Japan, they have examples of how manual fertilizing is done prior to releasing the eggs into their hatching facility.

i've tried scraping an egg off the glass without damaging it. and i was incredibly gentle. i did not succeed.

Thank you Helen,

I saw in the youtube vids that they were using shallow basins to mix the sperm and eggs and thought it might need to be aerated and that it would be difficult in those tiny basins. My breeding tank is 20 gallons and I was worried the sperm might get too deluded to fertilize all the eggs. Still it worked for two of my ryukin's and I have a ton of fry. I've already started culling picking out the crooked spines first and all the other obvious deformities. I have a friend with turtles and I gave them to her. I'm ok with it. Everything in nature consumes.

if professional breeders do not need aerated tubs for fertilizing, then what makes you think that you do?

Well partly I'm arrogant in thinking I can do things better than other people. (truth be told), I also thought I might not have seen all of the process.

:rofl we humans are funny. :teehee

That is so true. Self deprecating humor is the funniest. What I lack in smarts I make up for in ambition. That's how I got my Doctorate in Botany. My professor said 80% of my Doctorate is putting my butt in the seat. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had just been diagnosed with SLE and had a serious case of "brain fog" and had the hardest time concentrating. I want to learn all there is to learn about goldfish but the task seems daunting. All of you have been so patient and kind. This is my favorite place on the internet.

Glenn

Could I suggest something?

Let them breed on their own and have a large supply of watersprite or water lettuce with long roots on-hand to raise fry / catch eggs with. Not only is this a safer option for the fish that are mating (less chance of internal damage than hand-spawning) but when the fry hatch they will have a constant source of microorganisms to eat from the live plants between the times that you feed them.

Sometimes doing things the old-fashioned way is not a bad thing regarding breeding these guys.

Thank you Chelsea :) Between the thick grouth of eloda and water lettuce it should work well. Great suggestion.