Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paradox Owl

Koi Clay?

I've been browsing around the forums and web and have come across something I've never seen or even heard of!

Can anybody help me understand what Koi Clay is used for in the aquarium? I've found some on amazon but nobody has put it in an aquarium...

I appreciate any input on this item.

A lot of us on here use it in our aquariums. :) It's first and foremost a water clarifier, but has the added benefits of aiding fish in their digestion as well as adding helpful nutrients to the water. It makes the water look crystal clear once it settles, and that's what most people use it for.

It's added directly to the water or through the filter?

Have you tried it? I'm curious and now a couple of my friends who I converted to Goldfish are as well.. ^.^

To the water :) it's fine if the fish gobble some of the particles. Some people make little clay balls and let them dissolve too. I use it nearly weekly :) I put about a teaspoon-ish into my 55 gal. I'm not convinced it helps anything, but I don't believe it hurts anything :idont

Many folks swear by it :)

Does it clear your water?

I read it makes your goldfish colors pop as well,.,, Kinda be nice to see my calico's colors more vibrant

The fine particles that make water cloudy stick to the clay and drop out of suspension, leaving the water very clear. Most of the particles are swept into the filter, but the goldfish will be searching the bottom for bits to eat. I doubt that it does much for color, but your fish are getting a mineral supplement.

My water was never particularly cloudy :idont

It's added directly to the water or through the filter?

Have you tried it? I'm curious and now a couple of my friends who I converted to Goldfish are as well.. ^.^

I add it directly to the water, using the current from my airstones to distribute it.

I use it in my ponds in the summer and my tank the rest of the year. I really like it.

Is there any particular brand you get?

Beat me to my question.

So, in general it would be something good for them? I want to try and see what happens when I use it.

I like the idea of the aerators distributing the clay. I have spray bars and 2 aerators so I think it'll get distributed pretty well...

I really appreciate the input on this. I'm always looking for new things to add that'll help the goldfish

Ultimate Koi Clay is a very popular brand. If you just have one tank, a container of koi clay will last about a decade.

Where can you find that? I checked amazon.... about to try PetSmart (I have a second job there so it'd be 15% off)

That's the most popular source.

Here's one that may be cheaper, depending on the shipping charge.

This one may be close to you.

That's the most popular source.

Here's one that may be cheaper, depending on the shipping charge.

This one may be close to you.

Sharon, I noticed they now have UltraClear Ultimate Koi Clay? Thoughts? I couldn't tell what made it ultra clear . . . :idont

It's just UltraClear koi clay. A different brand. I guess they are talking about how the water looks.

Oh, it's a brand name. :doh11: I thought I was on the Ultimate Koi Clay website. :rofl3. Duh.

I used the Ultra-Clear. It worked well in terms of giving me really crystal clear water. Then I got lazy. :rofl

I used Koi Clay for the first time a few days ago. To be honest my water is always crystal clear anyway (I wonder if that's something to do with my water being very hard), so I didn't notice increased clarity. But as everyone else has said, it does no harm and you're supplementing the tank with minerals, which is good for the fish and the plants.

I think I'm going to give it a try. Will by it from eBay as so many fish things. I'll report back. Worst case it will supplement my plants with minerals

Well, I'm now excited to give this a try!

There is a pond store not far from me, so I'll check there first before I try online.

^.^ Thanks for so many thoughts

My decent little LFS has never heard of koi clay. I decided to just order it off the website. Hopefully it'll do my tank some good. I'm ever going to share it with my other friends. They have a 90 and a 120 goldfish tank!