Kokos Goldfish Forum
fingers

canister cleaning!

I was wondering how often people clean their canister filters??...I think there is a lot of misinformation about this!!...I have noticed that the ONLY time I have ever had a sickness problem in my tank is a week after cleaning the canister!..and when I say cleaning I mean rinsing the media in tank water!!...I have used canisters for 20 years and when I only clean them every 4 months I have NO problems!!... It seems strange to clean them monthly when it takes 3 weeks for the bacteria colony to mature!!....just wondered what you all think??

I clean mine every 2-3 weeks. They get filthy - fast, so I have to keep on top of them :)

Something you have to consider is the setup itself.

How many fish and how big are they?

What is the tank size?
Water change schedule and amount?

How much and what is fed? The higher the food ia in protein, the more waste is produced.

Are there live plants or not, and how many and what type?

Lis' for example has a ton of live plants, and what I experienced when I had a 55g with lots of plants it that even though the plants are healthy, there is still always a considerable amount of "discarded plants matter" that will additionally make your filter media dirtier than it would be in a tank with only few plants.

So if your tank is densely planted, you might end up having to clean the filters more often than others.

Although I don't have canister filters but HOBs, I clean them about every.... 2-3 months I'd say. They need a good cleaning by then, but nothing that takes more than 15 minutes to clean the entire filter (I clean and scrub the inside of the actual filters and tubings in addition to rinsing the media clean).

But my tanks are bare bottom, and although I am overstocked, I do feed on the lighter side, more plant based.

Only got a bunch of anubias tied to river rocks, and I do 80+ % w/c every 3-5 days.

So I would say do the schedule that works out best for you and your fish. :) And just to touch this too: unless you have to do a really massive cleaning of the media, it should not hurt the BBs in the filter too much. And in a way I think it probably would make sense to rather clean the media more often and only lightly than doing big cleanings at long intervals. But how I do it works for me and the fish, and I do have a total of 9 filters running at any given time. Cleaning them all at 2-3 week intervals would be... ugh... :rofl

I guess it depends on what you mean by "clean". Every 2-3 months I empty the canisters and give a quick swish to the ceramic media in tank water and replace the filter floss. I never rinse the inside of the canister, the filter baskets, or the tubes

I clean my canisters once every month or two. They get gross. I alternate which one I clean (I have two).

Edit: I like to clean mine outside, if I can, and I spray them down with the hose. I rinse the floss and sponges with clean water and rinse out the canister and impeller area. The hoses are a pita, and I don't clean them often. I give the media a light rinse, just enough to get the crud off.

Fingers, I find the opposite to be true -- if I fall behind on canister cleaning, my fish start looking mopy or get sick.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

What about the thread from the time your fish got sick from lack of UV?

I clean my two canister filters every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I feel lazy, and just back flush and clean the foam. If I have time, I wash off the biomedia in dechlorinated water and clean out the hoses. I believe this keeps nitrates and DOCs down in the tank, and reduces the need for water changes. I've never had a bump in my cycle from cleaning them (famous last words!).

I don't have a set schedule down yet, but I have 2 canisters and clean them once every 3 weeks probably, not both at the same time though. I rinse out the sponges really well and do a quick rinse of the media. I probably shouldn't, but just use water from the tap to clean everything. Haven't had any issues with the cycle yet. The hoses, they're kind of neglected. I rarely clean them.

Thanks everyone for your input!...I think I will stick to every 4 months!!..I guess its what works me!!

i believe this question has been answered with great information. thank you everyone for your input :)

this thread is now closed.