Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

Fry Food : Hikari First Bites/ Liquifry

Hi All - I just got unexpected eggs today and have little to no clue to what I am doing with fry. I am not keen on the live BBS. I read about Hikari First Bites and Liquifry. With Hikari First Bites the only one I can find online is the one marked as Tropical - is this the one everyone is talking about? Also wanted to see if people generally felt Hikari First Bites or Liquifry were better. I've never been a huge fan of Interpet products and do use Saki Hikari for my fish but I have read that some people feel Liquifry is still better? I live in a small town so anything I get needs to be ordered online so I need to order it soon so I can have it to hand if my eggs hatch!

Well if they hatch before anything comes in I believe you can use a tiny tiny bit of crumbled up egg yoke from a hard boiled egg ( fully cooked)mixed with some water, and maybe use a syringe to suck up a bit of the mixture and put a few drops in there depending on how many fry you have. I heard not to use to much of that as it does get the water a bit messy.

Also someone told me you can use the repashy powder and just sprinkle a little of that in as it also worked for them.

Edited by Cdionne77

I fed instant baby brine shrimp...I ordered it online at Amazon...it worked well for me...I also fed the Hikari first bites (tropical) as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Nutrition-402-INSTANT-BRINE/dp/B00176GU32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415670334&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+brine+shrimp

I will be a pain and say you really should reconsider the live BBS. :teehee I was incredibly intimidated by it and just plain didn't want to, but my options were limited, so I went for it. It's really no big deal once you have it set up and running. If you haven't seen this one, here's a good tutorial. You'll definitely want two batches going about 12 hours apart so you always have food ready for them. Good luck with your fry whatever food you choose!

Hi Ruby -

I remember being intimidated by all of the equipment one seemed to require to hatch baby brine shrimp (BBS), like a 2nd aerator for example.

Here is my very basic brine shrimp hatchery just using a warm lamp and cut off water bottles. I used the fish tank to keep the bbs eggs warm while they hatched.

Edited by mysterygirl

As you've already been told, it is rather easy to hatch BBS.

Like this here is my "super elaborate setup" I currently got going for my own goldfish fry :rofl

It's a .5 liter water bottle, bottom cut off, upside down wedged in my heated 5g tank (so it benefits from the heater in that tank), with an air stone running into it.

I got a 1 liter bottle with dechlorinated water, added 1.5 tbsp salt, dissolved, filled the .5 liter bottle as you see, placed a pinch of brine shrimp egg mix in it - voila!

100_0914_zpsc1b5291b.jpg

Aside from that, the First Bites aren't bad. I used that with my first set of fry years ago. The egg yolk thing is not bad in a pinch, but here you really have to watch how much you feed, it can get messy.

Another thing that worked well for me in the past is FROZEN baby brine shrimp. Not as good as freshly hatched, but readily available, you don't have to worry about the salt getting into your fry tub/tank, and they are still better than First Bites or yolk.

However, you will want to offer a variety of foods if you can. If you have (a) plant(s) or rock(s) with algae on it in your main tank, the fry will forage on the algae as well. If you can get your hands on live micro worms and daphnia etc (daphnia when the fry is about 2 weeks old and big enough to eat it), that will be great too!

Ruby , congratulations !! You are now entering into one of the most exciting and enjoyable parts of fish keeping. All of the foods recommended by the other members should work very well. I can also add what I use and where to get it. for first few days a single drop of milk works just fine. later when they have mouths big enough, decapsulated brine shrimp (artemia)) sold in liquid form such at NTlabs UK fry care or dry type online such as outletaquarium in packets. This can be fed direct to fish . Also good is Daphnies, a water insect, sold in dried confections found at supermarket pets supply by company such as Purina,Friskies. These are then ground fine and are great food.

I use all of these and also feed live fresh hatch artemia and mosquitos larva to produce needed growth goals.

Good luck, Michael

I don't have enough likes so thanks everyone for your excellent advice :thumb: . I'll be honest, sometimes I find all the goldie care information overwhelming. It's always more helpful hearing what people have actually tried and tested themselves so my sincere thanks to all for taking the time to lay it all out so well for the Noob! With that being said I will bow down in defeat from all the BBS advice - I know I don't have much of a moral high ground (I eat meat, I feed my horde frozen bloodworms etc etc) but I'm not certain how I feel about personally hatching living creatures and then feeding them to my pets :unsure: .

I have ordered the Interpet Liquifry no.1 as it was cheap enough (£4 incl delivery - not too bad) as I want to have something to hand and it also seems idiot proof (always a bonus). Should my eggs actually turn into little fish babies I'll then order the BBS. I don't imagine BBS keep very long and I don't want to end up just chucking it in the bin should my eggs not hatch. It's surprisingly not cheap online - not expensive really but I was expecting to be able to get them for much much less :hmm . If any UK members know where to get cheap BBS online please let me know! Also, does anyone have an idea how much of that stuff you need for about a month of feeding? Would 10g cut it or do I need to look for a much larger amount?

I have used Hikari First bites multiple times with good results.

I have used a wide range of things, and find that first bites and Repashy Spawn and Grow powder are my favorite premade foods. If you can, also get some live plants and grow algae for the babies to munch on.

Brine Shrimp eggs, if kept dry, actually last for a few years :)
My main issue with them is that even the small .74oz packet is WAY too much to feed to just a small number of fry, and most of the opened package will go to waste - unless you have a reef tank or some really small type of fish that are interested in BBS.

If you already feed some kind of Repashy to your fish, I like to put a tiny piece in a little bit of filtered water and let it sit until it becomes so soft, that it will pretty much dissolve if stirred up. This solution can then be fed to the fry. Or just sprinkle a tad of the Repashy powder onto the surface, which will then sink slowly.

hi Ruby, Maybe I did not explain it clearly. If you do not want to mess around with BBS live hatching get the decapsulated brine shrimp cysts. they are ready to go directly into the water and babes eat them or you can also hatch them with very little extra effort. small size is 30 gram and very cheap. go look for yourself at artemia revolution fry care , www.ntlabs.co.uk . with so little fish that you will have a few grams will last forever. The big problem with artemia cysts is that they have a capsul shell which baby fish can not handle as it blocks in intestines and kills them , that is why bbs must be hatched or decapsulated first and then it is safe food.

Just to add more to the list: I posted this in my own fry topic a minute ago, but I figured this could turn into a nice pinned topic about fry food.

So the BBS egg mix I had is YEARS old and with that not many hatched.

For some reason no LFS in my area carries frozen BBS or has them in stock, which means for now BBS are out for me for good until the ones from my newly acquired mix pack hatch.

I did buy / order a couple of things though that my fry appears to be very interested in:

Frozen cyclops. They are actually quite cheap. I see Drs.Foster & Smith sells them for $ 1.99 per package.

Even my super expensive independent LFS carries the San Francisco Bay brand for only $ 3.79.

Algae. This has been mentioned before, but algae does make up a major part of a goldfish's diet. In nature, the fry would find a ton of algae either free floating or growing in the environment. Blue green algae aka cyanobacteria is one of the main things that my first batch of fry grew up on.

So I found this here on ebay, and my fry loves it. It is live, powdered algae that will continue to live and grow if kept properly.

It does not dissolve perfectly, and I only use a pinhead-sized heap in a 1g tub for 16 fish once a day (with frozen cyclops and Repashy in addition atm), but the fish really seem to dig it.
It might be a bit costly with a total price of $ 8, but considered it is natural and adds variety to the fry's diet, I like it. Especially if you are not into gel food and have no Repashy on hand for some algae based food.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Instant-green-water-for-feeding-daphnia-/331377435214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d27a2624e

Fun fact about this, that I didn't realize until I received the envelope: The seller is actually someone I know from a local (Carolinas) fishkeeper's group. She is very experienced and sells a lot of stuff for fish keeping online, as well as live fish, and is very well respected in that group.
I only noticed it when I saw her actual name on the sender's envelope :lol

Brine Shrimp eggs, if kept dry, actually last for a few years :)

My main issue with them is that even the small .74oz packet is WAY too much to feed to just a small number of fry, and most of the opened package will go to waste - unless you have a reef tank or some really small type of fish that are interested in BBS.

If you already feed some kind of Repashy to your fish, I like to put a tiny piece in a little bit of filtered water and let it sit until it becomes so soft, that it will pretty much dissolve if stirred up. This solution can then be fed to the fry. Or just sprinkle a tad of the Repashy powder onto the surface, which will then sink slowly.

:thumbs: Good to know a small amount should see me through! Also good tip about repashy, which I do feed. Although I use Super Green because I feed them lots of other things as well.

hi Ruby, Maybe I did not explain it clearly. If you do not want to mess around with BBS live hatching get the decapsulated brine shrimp cysts. they are ready to go directly into the water and babes eat them or you can also hatch them with very little extra effort. small size is 30 gram and very cheap. go look for yourself at artemia revolution fry care , www.ntlabs.co.uk . with so little fish that you will have a few grams will last forever. The big problem with artemia cysts is that they have a capsul shell which baby fish can not handle as it blocks in intestines and kills them , that is why bbs must be hatched or decapsulated first and then it is safe food.

:Jig: Thanks! I had no idea you could feed the decapsulated cysts directly - I have bookmarked the site. Just checking if this is the correct product : http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/products/Artemia-Revolution.html

Just to add more to the list: I posted this in my own fry topic a minute ago, but I figured this could turn into a nice pinned topic about fry food.

So the BBS egg mix I had is YEARS old and with that not many hatched.

For some reason no LFS in my area carries frozen BBS or has them in stock, which means for now BBS are out for me for good until the ones from my newly acquired mix pack hatch.

I did buy / order a couple of things though that my fry appears to be very interested in:

Frozen cyclops. They are actually quite cheap. I see Drs.Foster & Smith sells them for $ 1.99 per package.

Even my super expensive independent LFS carries the San Francisco Bay brand for only $ 3.79.

Algae. This has been mentioned before, but algae does make up a major part of a goldfish's diet. In nature, the fry would find a ton of algae either free floating or growing in the environment. Blue green algae aka cyanobacteria is one of the main things that my first batch of fry grew up on.

So I found this here on ebay, and my fry loves it. It is live, powdered algae that will continue to live and grow if kept properly.

It does not dissolve perfectly, and I only use a pinhead-sized heap in a 1g tub for 16 fish once a day (with frozen cyclops and Repashy in addition atm), but the fish really seem to dig it.

It might be a bit costly with a total price of $ 8, but considered it is natural and adds variety to the fry's diet, I like it. Especially if you are not into gel food and have no Repashy on hand for some algae based food.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Instant-green-water-for-feeding-daphnia-/331377435214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d27a2624e

Fun fact about this, that I didn't realize until I received the envelope: The seller is actually someone I know from a local (Carolinas) fishkeeper's group. She is very experienced and sells a lot of stuff for fish keeping online, as well as live fish, and is very well respected in that group.

I only noticed it when I saw her actual name on the sender's envelope :lol

I do like the idea of algae, particularly if I need to go away for 2 or 3 days. My big fish are fine to be left but not the fry. I would have to track down the UK version though. It's funny about getting something like that from someone you know though :laugh: - always much better to get products from people that are passionate about what they are doing!

Edited by Ruby

For Ruby,

yes, that is exactly this site and product . they also have very nice products for fish cures and health and I use them with success.

For Ruby,

yes, that is exactly this site and product . they also have very nice products for fish cures and health and I use them with success.

Fantastic! Thanks again :D . I'm going to wait until the eggs have hatched though before ordering just in case I don't get any fry. I'm still playing the waiting game...

hey guys I just wanted to ask you where do you usually buy the stuff? I'm rather new in this and want to have an expirience with artemia cysts cause i heard about it a lot, so Sera, Tetra? what do you recommend? thaaaanks :I-Thank-You:

hey guys I just wanted to ask you where do you usually buy the stuff? I'm rather new in this and want to have an expirience with artemia cysts cause i heard about it a lot, so Sera, Tetra? what do you recommend? thaaaanks :I-Thank-You:

All of the foods suggested here are from all different brands. A simple search online will give lots of options. :)