Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

EGGS! Oh dear...

So my Bubbles spawned this morning :yikes . I was under the impression she was still waaaay to young despite her large size :redcard . I've never had fry before. I was getting ready for work so just bunched all the artifical plants together before heading out the door (I'm in a small town, if I miss that bus I'm walking!). I was back home by 13:30pm though. I wasn't expecting much - to be honest I thought maybe I was overreacting and Bubbles was just doing a fishy instinct thing and there wouldn't actually be any eggs. The first thing I did when I came through the door was go straight to the tank and check. I think they ate most of them but there was a cluster of eggs at the top of one of the plants :crying: . I've stuck them in my 30 litre acrylic tank with a small sponge filter using the water from the tank. I'm hoping I've still managed to save a few with my very inept 'bowl scoop' technique :wall . I'm so not ready for this!!! I couldn't not try to save some though. I guess I'm going to be doing lots of homework over the next while :help1

Good luck with this !! :thumbup2:

Good luck! Raising fry sounds like fun. :)

Just my two cents ( or pennies however you look at it :P) make sure you feed them more then once a day and a few may die of natural causes so don't get disheartened if a few die :)

So exciting!! Good luck with your fry :)

Thanks everyone :D . I'll admit I'm both excited and absolutely terrified! I really wasn't expecting to deal with the egg/fry situation for at least another 6-8 months. I really hope some make it since I don't think I managed to salvage that many eggs :undecided: .

Just my two cents ( or pennies however you look at it :P) make sure you feed them more then once a day and a few may die of natural causes so don't get disheartened if a few die :)

Because of my working hours I manage to feed my horde 4 times a day :Scoff: . I've read that four times a day is a good amount to feed fry so I should be able to feed everyone at the same time! It'll be hard not getting my hopes up about potential fry though but realistically I'll be very very lucky if even 1 fry makes it :alex

Seems like an active morning as my girl spawned as well!! Good luck with them :)

Congratulations fishy grandma!! Hope you get some new grandkids

I'm too young to be a fishy grandma!! :lol:

Seems like an active morning as my girl spawned as well!! Good luck with them :)

Congrats on yours today too!! :fishtank

So I managed to get TWO pictures (out of about thirty - I really suck at taking photos :doh11: ). I've moved the little tank into the living room which is the warmest room and had a good look. I think there may actually be more in there than I first thought :Dancing: .

943c4285-27f9-455e-9f86-3c5163986f30_zps

b387ca6e-c9fa-4ad5-bb03-31715ae96541_zps

And now I wait... :popcorn

Edited by Ruby

I got fry!!! :happydance:krazy::goldfish::crying:

I also got more eggs...

Super quick update: second batch of fry hatched two days after the first so now I have lots of little fry :teehee . Not sure how many in total since they keep moving about, probably between 30-40. I'm going to be taking the fake plants out tomorrow. I've been a bit hesitant as I didn't want to accidentally take out any fry with the plants! I'm currently feeding them on Liquifry 4 times a day but I'll be moving them onto decapsulated brine shrimp in a week (sorry - but I just can't bring myself to do a BBS hatchery :blush: ). I did try to get some pictures but they came out rubbish and you couldn't really see them anyway :peeka . I'll take some more photo's tomorrow when I take out the plants :Jig: . Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful advice especially about what to feed these little guys :thumbs: .

I finally got a few decent'ish pictures :fishtank . Does this mean I get a green jelly bean? Hee hee :lol3

d7f6b4f9-b763-4e1c-9b64-9046916abf96_zps

c44d50db-ef03-4be0-8bdd-3f79cc72548b_zps

2e84958a-b630-4cba-90a7-6bd12f61f988_zps

1195f309-7102-4414-bded-068733fe4a14_zps

I'm really pleased, they're all eating and seem to be doing really well :wub:

I will be having surgery next week Monday the 1st December and then again in January. That means I'll probably not be on Koko's much or updating this thread. Once I'm back on my feet again though I'll post some pics of the babies - they should be nice and big by then :laugh: . I'm really hoping I get a few that make it all the way through, my husband is already talking about getting a tank for the living room :Dancing:

Unfortunatley all the little fry have died :rip:  I've been recovering from my surgery so feel a little guilty for not checking on them. The heater broke without us realising it and we had a temprature drop during the night. My husband said when he checked the fry in the morning they were all dead and the water was freezing. So sad, I was looking forward to watching them grow :(

Sorry to hear that.  But if they've spawned once, it will likely happen again.  :D

I hope your recovery goes well.  :)

Sorry to hear that.  But if they've spawned once, it will likely happen again.  :D

I hope your recovery goes well.  :)

Thanks  :) . Recovery's going fine and it's somewhat entertaining watching my husband do the water changes instead of having to do them myself :rolleyes: . Since the tanks are in the bedroom I can just lie there and give 'helpful pointers' :rest: .

I just can't help feeling that if I had been more vigilant the fry wouldn't have died :( . Hopefully things will go better next time one of my girls spawn.