Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mygoldfishmylife

Possible wet form of FIP and we don't have money :'(

16 posts in this topic

So my cat, Tito, is 6 months old. He was having a hard time breathing, so we took him to a vet. The vet said that he can't determine anything without an x-ray (which will cost a lot). The next week, we gathered up the money although it was very hard for us. Yesterday, our vet found out that Tito could possibly have the wet form of FIP. His lungs are surrounded by an unknown fluid and will drown him. He recommended putting him to sleep because surgery and everything else will cost too much.

My family is completely against putting him to sleep so that's not an option for me, even though I know he is suffering. The vet said just to keep him in area where there is lots of clean, fresh air flowing. I called my vet and he said taking out some fluid and sending it off to the lab will cost us $600, and there is no discount. We cannot afford it. The vet also said that sometimes, the lab won't really know where it came from, so it could be a waste of our money. And even if they do, anything else and surgery would add up to about $3500.

I am really worried about my baby and I always cry myself to sleep, knowing one day I will wake up and not find him by my side. What do I do :'( Tito means a lot to me and he helped me somewhat recover from my depression and made me happy again. Seeing him wake me up everyday begging for food makes my day brighter. We've never had a cat like Tito, and us not affording to help him is so suffocating.

I'm so sorry that your cat is so unwell :( I've never heard of FIP, and know nothing about it. All I know is that if an animal is suffering, the kindest thing to do is end their suffering. I've been in positions myself where beloved family pets have been suffering and could not be saved. It's hard, I know, but at least you will know you've done the right thing. Whatever you and your family choose to do, it's obvious you love him a lot and care about his welfare a great deal :heart:hug

I have had several cats with FIP when I was younger, all of them were adopted already carrying the FIP virus.

Some of them lived to be 15 years old, but especially when a young cat with a weak immune system gets infected, the outlook is bleak. We had a cat that had been infected in the womb before he was born, and he only lived to be under a year old before we had to have him put down.

Once there is fluid buildup like this, it is only a matter of time until the animal dies. :( Sorry.

There is literally nothing that can be done that will help long term, and there is no cure. The best thing for the cat is to have him humanely euthanized.

EDIT: And if you have any other cats right now, these should be tested for FIP and if negative, should get an immunization shot which is the only thing that will prevent them from getting sick as well.

After your current cat is gone, toss or disinfect everything the cat had (toys, beds, etc). The virus is transmitted by fluids.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I'm sorry you're going through this. :(

I've never had a cat with FIP though it scares me. Whatever may your decision be, you'll know he spent those six months with great love and care. :) No pet can replace another, but each pet finds a new place in your heart.

:( I'm sorry that this is happening to you. :(

I'm sorry :hug

My cousin had to put her kitten down due to FIP :(

I'm sorry, My. Sometimes very sad things happen in life. If he is suffering, the best thing may be to discuss putting him to sleep. :hug

Some times it is better to let an animal go for his or her sake, instead of keeping it alive for the owner's. With FIP in the late stages, this is one of those times.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thank you for your kind words and support <3 It's a really tough decision and a tough time we are all going through. :(

I'm very sorry for this tough decision :hug I hope your cat doesn't suffer :( I hope you and your family find strength :bighug

I'm sorry. :hug

Why does your family disagree with the vet's recommendation?

IM very sorry to hear about Tito.

Thank you for your support <3 My parents are against it because they just don't believe in killing the cat like that, even though our vet told us it's very peaceful and easy.

Sorry to hear, it is always difficult to deal with.