Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

UK Kokonuts Question: What did you use to paint your tank background?

12 posts in this topic

I need to paint the background on my new tank. It's going to be black and I am unlikely to change it. I don't have heaps of money so I want to make the best choice on what to use. I want to know what products everyone else has specifically used to paint their background! I've seen videos of people using paint and some using spraypaint - I'm thinking spraypaint may have less of a chance getting all 'streaky'? I really don't want to attempt it and it just turns out a mess. Advice would be most welcome! :D

I tried a small patch of acrylic on glass which stuck well. This wasn't on my tank but on an old window, though. This was with cheap Ocaldo acrylic paint (The Works brand, I think?) There's no point in spending loads of money for expensive artist grade acrylics. :)

I think some people use spray paint which works well. I find spray paint irritating because if you don't hold the can in the right angle it will drip and spray in patches rather than evenly :thumbdown I've never used it on glass/acrylic.

I used blue mirror paper. It does have the advantage of being able to change it later - like if you want to sell your tank.

How about black foil? Just cut it to size and tape it to the back.

I'm sure I remember seeing a video on Tithra's Youtube channel showing her peeling the paint off the back of her tank. I'm not sure what kind of paint she used, but it just peeled off in one piece, so perfect if you don't want to damage the tank. Might be worth having a look at her channel.

I'm sure I remember seeing a video on Tithra's Youtube channel showing her peeling the paint off the back of her tank. I'm not sure what kind of paint she used, but it just peeled off in one piece, so perfect if you don't want to damage the tank. Might be worth having a look at her channel.

It was black latex paint. You should be able to find it in a hardware store or one of a more adult persuasion.

I used Acrylic paint on my tank (back and buttom). 3-4 layers and it looks GOOD!

IMG_20141023_174350.jpg

Easy to remove with water or a glass scraber

Brilliant! I had a look at the video - great instructions.

It was black latex paint. You should be able to find it in a hardware store or one of a more adult persuasion.

:rofl3:D

I used Acrylic paint on my tank (back and buttom). 3-4 layers and it looks GOOD!

IMG_20141023_174350.jpg

Easy to remove with water or a glass scraber

STUNNING tank! You're right it does look good :D . Did you use a particular brand of acrylic paint? I saw some black acrylic craft paint at the pound shop the other day - I wonder if that would do?

:lol

I bought it at a paint shop - in Denmark. But you should be able to get a decent cover from a less expensive brand - just apply more layers :)

I got my tank! :krazy: It came a few days early so I ended up running around at the last minute to buy the paint (I'd like to blame my husband for pushing to get it done now rather than sensibly waiting but I'm just as much to blame :blush: ). I'm in a small town and hadn't had a chance to go into the city to pick out the paint so my local choices were limited. In the end I went for a matt acrylic spray paint. It worked well but I didn't get enough and had a little light shining through - so I ended up putting black electrical tape across the back! All things considered I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out actually. The layers of spray paint means you can't see any lines from the tape (and gives it a nice finish) and the tape on the back means that it's waterproof and I'm not likely to accidentally scratch it off as well as preventing any light from shining through :Dancing: . Once I get my new aquarium light later in the month I'll post some decent pics :photo:

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone - it certainly helped me decide what was best to get when I went to my local shop :thumbs: .

I have found Krylon to work the best

Just saying this is from 2014 :)