Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ruby

How big is my Bubbles going to get?!

Hi - me again :teehee

For the first time yesterday I decided to weigh my fish :whistle (reeeeally should have done it months ago). I know my fish Bubbles is a big girl but I didn't actually realise how much bigger! To put it in context I got my three fish Bubbles, Nessie and Scooter at the same time from the same fantail goldfish tank at my LFS. The shopkeeper said that they were all born this year. Bubbles was very slightly bigger than the other two so at the time I just assumed she was a few weeks older :doh11: . When I weighed them yesterday Nessie came in at 17grams, Scooter at 18grams and Bubbles ..... 77grams!! :yikes . So for a fishy that is not quite a year old yet I was wondering if there is any way of telling how much bigger she is going to get? Although she is a fantail I'm starting to think I may need to treat her space wise as a common goldfish and allocate her a good 100 liters or so in any tank she is in.

Fishies5_zps943afb30.jpg

This picture was taken a few weeks after I got them.

e61f7c65-e919-4777-ac8a-ae70d672521a_zps

This is Bubbles now

2a34bfc0-46f2-4312-afbf-fa3b73622a4f_zps

I'm sorry for the awful photographs, I'm really rubbish at taking photo's and should have really taken some while they were being weighed :wall

If any of the Mods feel this topic should be posted somewhere else please go ahead and move it - I really wasn't sure of the best place to post it :hmm

That's some great growth!

There's not much telling how big a fish will ultimately get. But you're definitely doing something right! Goldfish do most of their growing in their first couple of years, but as far as I am aware they really never stop.

I have a fantail at 230 grams and an oranda at 280 grams so with good water quality and good food I would expect much more growth.

That's some great growth!

There's not much telling how big a fish will ultimately get. But you're definitely doing something right! Goldfish do most of their growing in their first couple of years, but as far as I am aware they really never stop.

It's actually been a little crazy how fast Bubbles has grown - I only got her in April this year! After her weigh in last night I just started wondering if her rate of growth is going to continue and if it does she's going to be massive in just three years :teehee . I'm assuming though that her rate of growth won't stop but will decline as she gets older.

I have a fantail at 230 grams and an oranda at 280 grams so with good water quality and good food I would expect much more growth.

Wow - those are some big fishies!! Pics please :D .

I have to say I'm a little worried that in a few years Bubbles will be this massive fish. Despite being so much bigger than the others she's very friendly and placid with them, no signs of any aggression at all not even during feeding (if anything Nessie bosses her around :teehee ). She's just a big baby really. I just don't want to get to the point where she has to go in a big pond for her own well being :(

Wow bubbles is big. It's a good sign. I inherited y first two goldfish from my collegeue . She had kept them in a tiny bowl for two years. When I put them into a big aquarium they did grow a shrunk. However my new fish has grown massively in the last few months. Big red used to be t the biggest in the tank. Blacky is now at least one. And a half time her size and not even a year old. I say you're doingg smthg right

Fyi young fish whose growth far outpaces the others are often times called tobies or tobeys if you want to Google it.

On the average, a goldfish reaches half of it's ultimate standard length at about a year and a half. In my experience however, very rapid growth in the first year is not necessarily an indication of ultimate size. In my first batch of fry, Golden was half again as long as her "average" sibs and more than three times as long as the smallest, Bitsy. By the time they were 2 years old, the average fish had caught up to Golden, but Bitsy still looked like a baby. Now, two years after that, Bitsy is only about an inch shorter than Golden, who is a slightly larger than average fish.

On the average, a goldfish reaches half of it's ultimate standard length at about a year and a half. In my experience however, very rapid growth in the first year is not necessarily an indication of ultimate size. In my first batch of fry, Golden was half again as long as her "average" sibs and more than three times as long as the smallest, Bitsy. By the time they were 2 years old, the average fish had caught up to Golden, but Bitsy still looked like a baby. Now, two years after that, Bitsy is only about an inch shorter than Golden, who is a slightly larger than average fish.

:thumb: Brilliant, thanks for that fantastic answer Shakaho! So Bubbles should not get much bigger than about double her current size (depending on how much she grows in the next 6 months or so :hummm ). I guess in the end I'll just have to wait and see :rolleyes: !

Wow! :teehee