Kokos Goldfish Forum
Kate89

Meet Matcha the calico oranda

So after looking over all the oranda tanks at Star Fisheries for a very long time, we finally decided on a young calico oranda.

The decision was made easier by the fact that I wanted a smallish young fish, so that I can grow him on, along with my other two babies, and there were a lot of big (and some giant!) orandas. Also, a lot of them had recently been imported from China, and were looking quite flat and sad to be honest, which made me sad.

This guy on the other hand looked happy and active, dorsal fin right up. He also had some very handsome tank mates, but Baz reeled me in and I just came home with the one! I'm also hoping that his gorgeous markings will compliment my two other fish.

Anyway, please meet Matcha, named after the drink I was holding when I saw him...

FBC9CB28-88C8-4BBD-B059-9E61FF827C19_zps

The photo doesn't do him justice, but its all I've got for now, he's chilling in his qt tub at the moment so I don't want to stress him by taking photos, I'll get some better pics tomorrow. He's really a side view fish, his markings and his fins are just lovely :)

Oh you did it, YAY! :D

Beautiful! And I do agree that he'll look great with your others. :)

:nana I love your new baby!!!!!!!!!! So excited she's calico :wub:

:Congrats:

Oh you did it, YAY! :D

Beautiful! And I do agree that he'll look great with your others. :)

Thank you Kathleen :D I'm so made up with him!

:nana I love your new baby!!!!!!!!!! So excited she's calico :wub:

:Congrats:

Thank you Aubrey :D I wanted to get a different colour to the other too, so calico it was. I love his/her spotty fins :teehee

I can't believe you just got a calico oranda as I just literally got one today and your calico oranda has so much more colour than my new calico oranda yours is jaw dropping :o

What a perfect stunner! I really love that shape and color. I hope the tail stays spotty like that forever.

Holy moly! Wow! :clapping:

He's gorgeous, and I bet will be even more amazing once he's grown! :nana

Wonderful choice !! He is a beauty :heart I have to be honest, out of all the pics and videos you posted from your trip, he is one of my favorite fish. Best of luck with him Kate :thumbs:

Beautiful!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Very nice choice! He is so cute and will be stunning all grown up!

Amazing fish! I love the speckle spots on it's fins :) Beautiful color patters too wow!

He's gorgeous Kate, congratulations! :D not sure how you walked out with only one though :rofl

I love him, Kate! :D

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys :D

I'm so glad you agree that he/she was a good choice - it's so hard to pick out a special fish in a building full of special fish!

When I got him/her home I was like wow, what a stunner, I'm so lucky! :D

I can't believe you just got a calico oranda as I just literally got one today and your calico oranda has so much more colour than my new calico oranda yours is jaw dropping :o

Thank you, Matcha is very flattered! :)

I'm sure yours is gorgeous too, and you know that Calico's can and do change as they grow, so it will be interesting to see how ours develop.

What a perfect stunner! I really love that shape and color. I hope the tail stays spotty like that forever.

Thanks Chelsea :D I hope so too! I love his spots!

I'm glad you think he's a nice shape, I've not quite got my eye in for good shapes yet, but to be honest all of the fish in that place were of such a high standard that it would have been hard for me to pick a poor one.

Holy moly! Wow! :clapping:

He's gorgeous, and I bet will be even more amazing once he's grown! :nana

I'm so excited to grow him up! My other two have a bit of catching up to do though, Matcha makes them look even tinier! Can't wait to get them all in the tank together :nana

Wonderful choice !! He is a beauty :heart I have to be honest, out of all the pics and videos you posted from your trip, he is one of my favorite fish. Best of luck with him Kate :thumbs:

Thank you :) It was such a difficult decision! I chose him because he looked happy and active, there were some stunning fish there that just looked flat and stressed, and I didn't want to buy myself a problem like I have done in the past. And of course he (or her) is very handsome which sealed the deal!

There were some other orandas in the same tank as him which were an unusual colour which I was really tempted by, I don't know if you picked out the video with his tank in it, its the one with the giant pearlies. But yeh Baz was the voice of reason and so I just came home with the one :rofl

He's gorgeous Kate, congratulations! :D not sure how you walked out with only one though :rofl

Lis it was very difficult!! If only I had the space! There were so many gorgeous chus!!

I've already planted the seed of getting a huge tank when we get a bigger place, and Baz already wants a pond, so I think I'm on to a winner :rofl

Oh and Baz just texted me this picture, I think he's a bit besotted :teehee

'Fancy a Matcha?'

510845EF-2AF2-4DFD-B20F-046B5D407B80_zps

For the shape, Kate, I think that there are nice fish that come in all shapes. There are some gorgeous long-bodied orandas and some beautiful short-bodied ones. However, I fall into the same mindset as Ken from Dandy Orandas in liking the shorter, rounder bodies with strong peduncles and tightly-packed wens with chubby cheeks. :) I doubt you'll have to add any supplemental FBW to his diet to get some good wen growth on him, just looking at how uniform his baby wen is. :heart

Awwww :wub: What a cutie pie! :thumbs:

For the shape, Kate, I think that there are nice fish that come in all shapes. There are some gorgeous long-bodied orandas and some beautiful short-bodied ones. However, I fall into the same mindset as Ken from Dandy Orandas in liking the shorter, rounder bodies with strong peduncles and tightly-packed wens with chubby cheeks. :) I doubt you'll have to add any supplemental FBW to his diet to get some good wen growth on him, just looking at how uniform his baby wen is. :heart

I do love his little wen :wub:

I was looking for one with a bit of wen development, so I could be sure that I wouldn't buy a fantail by accident again :rofl

My other two babies get FBW a few times a week, so Matcha inevitably will too, although I agree that he probably doesn't need it.

Oh and chubby cheeks are always high up on my list of criteria!

I love calico oranda's. Your's is absolutely beautiful. :wub:

Congratulations on the little guy, Kate. I hope his qt goes smoothly and that the time goes by fast for you.

I love calico oranda's. Your's is absolutely beautiful. :wub:

Congratulations on the little guy, Kate. I hope his qt goes smoothly and that the time goes by fast for you.

Thank you! :D

Me and my other two little guys have got our fingers and fins crossed for a quick and quiet qt, I'm so excited to have them all together in the big tank! He's looking great in qt at the moment though, I've started salting and no problems so far :)

Here's a pic of him in the tank at Star Fisheries with his very handsome tank mates :)

193E743F-B8F7-4CE6-AF65-73E2F51488F9_zps

That sort of brown coloured oranda directly behind Matcha is the one I was considering getting as well. I've never seen colouring like that before and loved the brown/orange splodges on his tail. Would you still say that's a calico? :idont

The guy said that they had a giant one with the same colouring in the big oranda tank that got snapped up that morning.

Here's a very short video of the tank incase you missed it on my Star Fisheries thread...

Oh, that brownish orange one is very cute, but I really love yours more :heart

And I bet the other is gonna turn orange fairly quickly :idont