Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Baking Koi Clay?

I'm thinking of getting some koi clay, but I'm not mad about the idea of it initially making the water murky then settling on my nice black sparkly Tahitian moon sand.

I think I read somewhere that you can bake it into little balls and put them in the tank for the fish to nibble on, that way it doesn't disperse through the water. Can you do this or have I just made it up?

Would be great to hear from someone who's done this before, and just general reviews of koi clay :)

I have a feeling that whether you bake it into balls, or not, it's still going to cloud your water, and then settle. The initial cloud is how it works, pulling the particulates out of the water column, and into the filters. It only takes a few hours to clear, and the tank looks amazing after. I have never seen any of the clay lying around on the tank floor. Try it and see.

Ah ok, I'll give it a try then :)

Just out of interest, is there any advantage of baking it into little balls then?

Does anyone recommend a particular brand? I'm looking at NT Labs Mediclay and Kusuri Klay on eBay.

From my experience, it will definitely settle on the sand and the plants. I have TMS and it does lay on top. It does make the water really clear after a few hours and the fish turn the sand over very quickly. It won't last more than a day on the sand. I use Microbe-lift CMC. microbe-lift-calcium-montmorillonite-cla

I have TMS and I've never seen it settle on the sand. I measure out the amount, add it to a small container of tank water, shake shake shake, then pour it into the tank. It does cloud the water but it doesn't settle on my sand. :idont

The cloudiness is really not an issue :idont

It goes away very quickly an it's good for everyone in the tank: fish, snails, plants :D

I have heard of making it into little balls to feed the fish. This is for providing the fish with a rich supply of minerals. I have not heard of baking it. If you are using the recommended amount, it leaves a barely visible film on a bare bottom. As Homerjay said, if you have a substrate, the fish will be mixing it in, and swallowing it in the process. It will disappear if you can even see it in the first place.

Btw, I have no idea how to bake it into balls :idont

I put mine in a cup and mix it with a measuring spoon and pour it across the top of the water. Maybe I don't mix it enough or maybe they type I use has bigger particles. Usually my moor looks like she has ich because her slime coat gets covered with it.

I found this too: "KOI CLAY" can be sprinkled on moistened fish food pellets or added to homemade paste foods. If you moisten the pellets you can also put them into a plastic bag containing "KOI CLAY" and shake it so the clay powder evenly covers the moist pellets. Spread them out onto a cookie sheet to dry and you can feed them later.

From my knowledge the balls are often used to feed the fish. I just add it to the tank by sprinkling some in the filter outflow or the place where the airstones break the surface. The goldfish get excited and go after the little clumps and the rest is dispersed. It actually doesn't cloud my tank too terribly, and goes away extremely quickly. I also use the Microbe Lift brand.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks for all the advice guys :D

I'm sold - I'm going to order some tonight and give it a go.

It wouldn't interfere with any meds or wormers (I use Kusuri Wormer Plus) would it??

I believe it can interfere with meds from what I have read

Baking into balls is merely for convenience if you are keeping it in your filters and you want it to dissolve slowly over time. :)

I used it on my face last night. :undecided:

:rofl

Click here for more information.

I used "Ultimate Koi Clay" and mixed it with other ingredients high in glycerine meant for skin-use.

No, don't put it in while you're worming.

It's been killing me not to be able to add it while I was worming my boys. I added some fresh today and felt instant relief that soon my cloudy water and algae issues would be gone. (Seriously, I have seen a dramatic reduction in algae while using clay too. I found out that is why my pond had little to no green algae this summer.)

Edited by ChelseaM

It's been killing me not to be able to add it while I was worming my boys. I added some fresh today and felt instant relief that soon my cloudy water and algae issues would be gone. (Seriously, I have seen a dramatic reduction in algae while using clay too. I found out that is why my pond had little to no green algae this summer.)

Chelsea, How often to you add koi clay to your tank?

Chelsea, How often to you add koi clay to your tank?

Twice a week, as the directions suggest.

I don't remember directions with mine. I've only been doing once per week. I might have to try twice. :o

Basically, koi clay has the possibility of adsorbing some medications. Thus, they must warn you not to use koi clay with meds. In all probability there will be no problem, but better safe than sorry.

Clay can increase bacterial growthrates, filterbacteria but also the less desireable ones. If you start using clay i would not advise to use alot at first but to gradually introduce into the system. Using clay can be very beneficial for the fish for sure, they will also eat the clay that settles on the bottom if you have a BB tank.

Clay can increase bacterial growthrates, filterbacteria but also the less desireable ones. If you start using clay i would not advise to use alot at first but to gradually introduce into the system. Using clay can be very beneficial for the fish for sure, they will also eat the clay that settles on the bottom if you have a BB tank.

I've never heard such a claim as far as bacterial growth rates. Can you link to where you've read this? :idont

I've never heard such a claim as far as bacterial growth rates. Can you link to where you've read this? :idont

Yes I would be interested in reading that. I have had a fish with a mycobacterial infection in the tank in the past, so I wouldn't want to use anything that may cause proliferation of bacteria to be honest.

Anyway I've ordered some, won't be using it for a couple of weeks though as I want to do a Kusuri treatment first, but I'm only going to do that after all this building/painting work has finished. I hate having builders in, everywhere is so messy!! :madrant