Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Am I feeding enough?

Hi guys :)

Just a quick question about feeding and growth rates.

I got my baby ranchu and oranda about 6 weeks ago. The ranchu weighed 5g and the oranda 4g. Both of them were about an inch long, maximum, nose to base of tail.

I've been feeding them 1% of their combined body weight, so 0.09g. I'm feeding a mixture of Saki Hikari (purple bag) and Hikari Lionhead, and a bit of repashy soilent green gel food. So it works out at 7 saki Hikari pellets and 4 lionhead, and I've been giving them a small amount of repashy here and there, and they always have some elodea or veg in a veggie clip for them to nibble on.

Does that sound like enough? It just seems like a tiny amount of pellets. I know goldies are always hungry, and I definitely don't want to overfeed them, but I guess I'm just curious to know how much other people feed baby fish? Should I be giving them more than 1%?

Many thanks for all your time and advice as always :)

Sounds good to me. As long as they are active, healthy and don't look too thin, I think you are right on target :thumb:

My lionhead came to me at about 7g.

I did the same, I fed him about six pellets a day (or meal? I can't remember) or something like that.

It took a long, long time for him to add on much growth. :o

I'd say to just plop some in there, and watch how long it takes them to eat it up. Adjust accordingly.

Shakaho puts it like this: when you see the fish stopping to chew, they've had enough for that meal.

Edited by jenzaar

Thanks for the advice guys :D

Jen I have been wondering whether to do the 'feed til they stop eating' method. I'm away at the moment but might try it when I get home. They're very active and happy at the moment, like so active that I think they could afford to have more food if that makes sense? There's only the two of them in a 55 gallon and they're always zooming around.

I don't measure my food. Of course, my fish are all really fat :rofl

I don't measure my food. Of course, my fish are all really fat :rofl

The 'feed until they're fat method' does seem like the easiest option! None of this weighing out pellets business!

:rofl :rofl

That being said, I only feed them what they can eat in like 5 minutes. I spread the pellets across the tank so it takes them longer to eat. I also watch for floatiness and adjust if needed.

Yeh I've been putting the pellets in a big syringe and drawing up some tank water. The pellets soak in the syringe and I just squirt in bits throughout the day. So hopefully floatiness shouldn't be an issue.

Feed until they stop to chew is my preferred approach. This is not the same as feeding until they stop eating, since as soon as they swallow they will be looking for another mouthful. You can provide more frequent feedings for young fish who are still growing -- like three times a day.

Check out the source of feeding recommendations that give grams of food per gram of fish. These are most often designed for food fish, that one wants to get to market size as fast as possible or for grooming fish for show. People who breed and show goldfish often use two procedures for growing young fish, one for producing fast-growing, big, impressive show fish, and another for smaller, leaner, and longer-lived breeding fish.

That's really interesting Shakaho. This is something I've been taking into consideration and is why I've been measuring out their food. I don't want to overfeed them and get very fast growth rates and shorten their lives, but on the other hand I would like to see some growth. It's trying to find the balance that's the tricky bit!

Another thing you can always do is to provide fresh, cooked veggies 24/7 in addition to feeding pellets or gel food.

This somewhat mimics their natural behavior of constant foraging, where they can nibble on blanched spinach or kale or any other dark leafy green, as well as a cooked (peeled) slice of cucumber or zucchini etc all day long between the meals you feed them.

Usually the fish won't devour this immediately, but feed on the vegetables on and off over the course of a day or two. :)

Yes they always have either a bunch of elodea or a piece of veg in a veggie clip to nibble on :)

As has been said here, observe the fish. Feeding too little or feeding too much is no good........

If you feed 2 or 3 times per day they need to eat for 5 min+ if you need a guideline.

I would feed a young fish more than 1%. Spread it into a few meals a day.

I'll try feeding them a bit more when I get home next week, and let you know how I get on :)

Overfeeding can be very dangerous for your fish.

Set up my auto feeder for a weekend away from the house, to way too much food and i came home to 3 very very fat bloobs of fish who could hardly swim or move. And the water quality was terrible too! So they were on fast for 3 whole days after that just to clear their stomachs and get them back into shape *lol*

I try not to overfeed, but they are so cute when they are chubby :)