Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

First attempt at hand spawning

I just got home and honestly, I don't think these eggs are going to hatch. Again, most of the eggs appear to be disintegrating in the water, even though they look fertile, with eyes. I don't see any pogo sticks (as I call them) darting around.

I am beginning to think that the water could be stagnating and going bad due to lack of aeration/circulation in such a tiny container, possibly promoting the growth of fungus (though not sure if that's the issue or not - I don't see any obviously infertile eggs). Last time I was successful - which ironically was when I knew absolutely nothing about breeding, and little about fishkeeping - 100% of the eggs hatched in 24 hrs in a mesh breeding basket floating in the main tank. My mistake was then LEAVING the fry in the tiny mesh basket for 2-3 weeks (oops)!

So, if this doesn't work out, I will retrieve that basket from Mario, hand spawn my fish again in the Sterilite container, and then transfer the eggs to the basket after swirling them around with the milt. The eggs did not stick to the bottom of the Sterilite container, so that should work. My other female Cookie (a pompom), looks very eggy again, and Panache likely still has eggs left in her. Cookie last spawned about a month ago.

I would post a pic of the eggs, but Tapatalk updated this morning and the pic icon was replaced by an attachment icon that doesn't work. I hope it is fixed soon. I already checked with Koko and it is working fine on hers, so I'm not sure what is going on. It was an automatic update.

Edited by *Amanda*

Dont give up on the eggs yet, mine turned opaque at some point but still fry came out, only the really white in white have fungus.

Best next step is to get a decent size plastic container out and fill with enough water to place the small container with the eggs in, put the airstone in the small container with the eggs so fres water from the storage box flows over them.

When they hatched you can easily let them slide into the storage box and take out the last bit of eggshells out with the small container. They need to eat the eggshells first though.

Next keep the water at 4 inches or so untill all are free swimming. At that time it would be cool the BBS hatched.

I kept a small sponge filter in the storage box/container, it worked very well i must say.

Bowls with eggs

DSC_2131.jpg

Hatched!

DSC_2138.jpg

Getting BBS ready!

DSC_2142-001.jpg

Good luck! :thumb:

Edited by Hinfin

Thanks for the encouragement; I hope it will work out. I have a sponge filter too, but think it may have got lost in the move. I will have to buy a new one. My only complaint about it was that it got EXTREMELY dirty, and I think some of the fry got trapped behind it or swam through the slits and died. It was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Clear-free-Air-Cartridge-Filter/dp/B0002565K2

Not sure if the Clear Free is a great sponge filter or not, but it was the only one I could find locally when I needed one last year.

Edited by *Amanda*

I wouldn't give up yet either. When I had Waldo's one egg :rofl I had given up on it too. It looked almost dried out :o , kind of shriveled and had a bit of a yellowish tinge to it. But Tammy told me just to leave it and see what happened. Lo and behold, it hatched! I did not have any airstone in with him until he was 1 week old . . . .

What is the water temp? :idont

@amanda: Just go for it! You will learn so much about goldfish if you breed them successfully aswell :rockon (<do not take this lightly icon :clapping: )

You would typically be looking for a very fine sponge like the one shown below. See the baby ranchu allready feeding from it and using it as a step up towards free swimming!

DSC_2143-001.jpg

@Fantailfan1: The eggs becoming opaque; i have decided for myself the reason for this is that it took some time before the eggs got ferilized which makes eggs turn opaque, i think unfirtilized eggs take in water untill fertilized and thats why they turn opaque and not stay clear(if fertilized directly). I had a mix of opaque and clear eggs and the opaque ones were larger, so i concluded these took in (tank) water. They all hatched fine though!

I wouldn't give up yet either. When I had Waldo's one egg :rofl I had given up on it too. It looked almost dried out :o , kind of shriveled and had a bit of a yellowish tinge to it. But Tammy told me just to leave it and see what happened. Lo and behold, it hatched! I did not have any airstone in with him until he was 1 week old . . . .

What is the water temp? :idont

The temp is 75F. I am leaving everything as is; no change as of this morning.

I've hand spawned many times and the water will only become cloudy if you have a really milty male or if you're using multiple males. If you ever need to ask any questions about it feel free to message me!

Thanks guys. Still no change; the eggs look completely disintegrated and it looks like fungus may have set in. I will try again in a few days after I get my breeding basket back from Mario, which worked last time and will allow for water flow/aeration. A film developed on the water surface in the bowl and the water is completely still and stagnant. I have 1 male and 3 females, and all 3 females look like they might be gravid ... although I never can tell for sure!

On the bright side, the photo button on Tapatalk was fixed! Although I still can't access the subscriber's forums ... oh well; I was mainly concerned about the photos.

Shame it didnt work out this time Amanda.

Important in egg care are, heavy airation, a drop of methylene blue when they are on treated tapwater, first WC the eggs every half hour from the tank with the parents for the first couple of hours, then just treated tapwater(twice a day or so) untill they hatched.

Í'm sure you will succeed next time!

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling? My tapatalk works fine.

Thanks, I would not have thought of that! I will try that. I posted about these problems I was having in the Suggestion Box; I also cannot post new topics in all the forums for some reason. I like the new layout but it seems every time the app updates, a new problem comes with it!

My 3 girls fighting over food just now! Hopefully one or more is gravid; they all look plump and their vents are protruding more than usual! That seems to be the only way I can tell, since my fish for whatever reason do NOT seem to carry their eggs on one side more than the other - they look evenly distributed enough for me not to be able to perceive any difference. My brine shrimp eggs arrived today from Brine Shrimp Direct and are in the fridge!

4a88a7ffc6a317968879544f0a8f6cff.jpg

I've hand spawned many times and the water will only become cloudy if you have a really milty male or if you're using multiple males. If you ever need to ask any questions about it feel free to message me!

Thanks; I do have one question actually - how much water do you use when hand spawning? I have seen so many different opinions, from spawning the male then the female in a bowl full of water (what I did) to getting the female to release the eggs on a dry surface and then milking the male on top of the eggs before adding water! My mom was thinking if I used less water the milt would be more concentrated and more likely to fertilize the eggs, which I had also read. She knows nothing about fishkeeping, but she does have a very logical mind!

Thanks; I do have one question actually - how much water do you use when hand spawning? I have seen so many different opinions, from spawning the male then the female in a bowl full of water (what I did) to getting the female to release the eggs on a dry surface and then milking the male on top of the eggs before adding water! My mom was thinking if I used less water the milt would be more concentrated and more likely to fertilize the eggs, which I had also read. She knows nothing about fishkeeping, but she does have a very logical mind!

I typically use a few smaller bowls and then submerge them completely in a tub filled with a few inches of water. The key to getting them fertilized is speed. Milt is only viable for around 60seconds, and eggs are around 30 (If I remember correctly).