Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ActiasAmy

EGGS- To raise or not raise, and do I have the equipment?

Hi guys!

Well I'm just beside myself, as chilly as this September is here in Canada, my fish are spawning! And eating, and spawning!

There was some chasing this morning between Opal and Sunny and Avalon was hiding so I assumed they'd been at it awhile. I went about my day, did a 70% WC and was super miffed tonight at lights out when the whole tank looked wrecked and foggy. Upon closer inspection I noticed Opal was dropping eggs all over the place and Sunny had *ahem* made his contribution.

8d107bc6e5167380b8010d147d1fed01.jpg4c75ce26e1bc3eecef378d3ff6f9a23b.jpgdf546f0af83026467c6ffb3e648a458e.jpg6f469018b43a05ce01c46b98b181d832.jpg

I want to give it a go but definitely am not prepared! I only have my 30 gal to use as a nursery, or a 5gal bucket at the moment. I have an extra tetra whisper10 and fresh air stones and tubing but how could I make this work?

I can get 2 small food safe tubs tomorrow but until then, ahh! What constitutes food safe (what symbol/plastic type on the container). I have algae covered plants for a few days food source but my heater is huuuge and probably not good for such a small container.

Any kokos improvisation tips for housing and supplies? I have read up on feeding in passing and am not presently concerned, for me it's temp, housing and airstone strength at the moment!

SO EXCITED! *SQUEE*

I assume you mean a 30 gallon you aren't using? If you use it, just fill it a little. It would work great because you don't need much water, but it would be big enough for them to grow in. You could increase the depth gradually.

I assume you mean a 30 gallon you aren't using? If you use it, just fill it a little. It would work great because you don't need much water, but it would be big enough for them to grow in. You could increase the depth gradually.

The 30gal is not in use and is below my 55gal and the clearance between the top of it and my stand is really minimal. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to use it right now, I was honestly considering getting rid of it. Maybe I'll look for a used 20 gal long, or set some shorter sterilite tubs underneath.

im interested to see if I have any out of this batch that hatch, or if they continue to spawn. I hear subsequent spawnings tend to be healthier with a higher fertilization rate.

Here's what I set up on the fly;

7c1f7685491f48f2090f40a756cc7f9e.jpg

Oh, that would be a pain. I wouldn't use it then. You will have to change the water often, and you will need clearance. :( But a bin would work. :)

Oh, that would be a pain. I wouldn't use it then. You will have to change the water often, and you will need clearance. :( But a bin would work. :)

Ya I used it for QT on the big ECR at 10" depth and it was manageable because I was just using a python to drain/fill. I feel like the fry would need more hand work so plan B it is [emoji13]

Is the small tub I posted okay? And the airstone is fine? It's PP 5 (I googled it) but I'm worried about the amount of agitation from the airstone. It's less than a sponge filter by the looks of it but jeez the little eyelashes are so small

I usually think that clear tubs are OK, but I can't guarantee it. I had an airline with my fry, and it was OK. Otherwise, the water got nasty. Where I got into trouble was WCs. Every time I did one, I had babies die. So be careful of WCs!

I usually think that clear tubs are OK, but I can't guarantee it. I had an airline with my fry, and it was OK. Otherwise, the water got nasty. Where I got into trouble was WCs. Every time I did one, I had babies die. So be careful of WCs!

Thanks for the tips! I hear WC aren't nesecary for the first few weeks so I will probably go to the multiple bins on rotation method and hope I don't lose many. I know I got at least 25 eggs but doubt all are fertile. I'll probably go remove some now :)

I have also been very nervous about my water changes. Right now, I'm drawing off my water the day before so it can 'age' and be at the same temp (eta: of course using Prime too). I have my air on very, very low. I also use a turkey baster during the day to remove excess waste if it seems to be accumulating before I do the wc in the evening. :)

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

What I did when I last had fry was remove them for the water change. That way, I could change the water without worrying about sucking them up accidentally. :)

Of course, I had less than 20 fry. This may not be practical if you have hundreds.

I always thought water changes were especially important for fry, given their sensitivity to toxins in the water and the fact that they don't eat everything like adult goldfish do (well, mine didn't anyway - there was always leftover food at the bottom of the tank that needed to be removed).

What I did when I last had fry was remove them for the water change. That way, I could change the water without worrying about sucking them up accidentally. :)

Of course, I had less than 20 fry. This may not be practical if you have hundreds.

I always thought water changes were especially important for fry, given their sensitivity to toxins in the water and the fact that they don't eat everything like adult goldfish do (well, mine didn't anyway - there was always leftover food at the bottom of the tank that needed to be removed).

I found varied WC schedules for fry too so I'm going to do heavy research in the next two days and will hopefully have a plan and supplies prepped by hatching time.

I'm going to take out the infertilite eggs tomorrow and grab anymore that have settled in the tank. So far my tub count is 60+ (before removal of unfertilized) [emoji15] which worries me but I'm going to plan for quite a few as I will be culling according to a few chu breeding guides I've studied. The practice will be good for me and I'm so excited to see if I can produce a few happy healthy baby fish!

Hi Amy, Good luck with your fry adventure! :happydance The plastic tub should be fine for a while. Turkey basters can be very gentle for removing and adding water, and any unfertilized eggs that develop fungus.

I started 2 generations of fry in a clear plastic bin, and I didn't do full-on water changes, just kept it gently refreshed as often as time permitted - because they eat the stuff in my pond water so I didn't want it antiseptic. I would really aerate the water before adding it to my tub, so as to not agitate the eggs or the delicate fry spines once hatched.

It is a LOT of work, but a labor of love if you're up for it. Don't be too hard on yourself if none of them make it - remind yourself that they would have been breakfast for the parents and you're doing the best you can.

I am having a tough time knowing which are fertilized and which aren't as my eggs are orange, yellow, clear, white and everything in between as well as tank gunk clinging will post a pic soon maybe someone has some advice?

If they don't have little black dots in them, remove them.

977634df51a5bd399f54cd27ccee6417.jpg49049da3db25f0ceaf6d1efce7a0b5f1.jpg95c9fa5590039c77f08ccac0e255576d.jpg3369a30400a40551767dfcfb8a26708a.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the eggs removed and ready to be sorted. There are at least 75 here. Some float alone, some are murky looking and in clumps. I assume murky ones are removed. I'm watching videos online but my eggs are coloured differently and it's throwing me off. I'll look for black dots but as I've never done this before and it's only been 20 hrs since spawning I'm not the best eye. Some do appear to be clear amber so after supper I'll look for a speck.

67 viable/51 discarded. Anything that looked like fluffy/grit was stuck to it went to discard but about 45 of the 51 fluffy throwaways had dots, so not a bad fertilization rate (woot Sunny). Here's to hoping I can get them to hatch!

:hi you are doing a great job!

As you found out, eggs are particularly prone to fungal infections and it spreads fast. Meth blue is a good thing to stock for subsequent spawnings. Anything that had tank gunk on it probably got moldy.

Fry are very sensitive to air current, imagine how brittle those baby spines are so 6-10" of water while they are vertical and then slowly adding depth after that is great for swim bladder.

I *think* that look like a bubbler? If you find a plastic sponge to stick over the end it will baffle the current and will help with the waste.

As other say, after feeding be sure to turkey baste out the food as the high protein food they need to grow fouls the water fast. Daily water changes whatever the size is helpful. There are many minerals and other minute substances in the freshwater that helps with growth and development.

Prazi can be treated as soon as the fry are horizontal most people start at one week post hatch. Flukes can take fast mortalities of a batch.

That's all I can think of at the moment, oh wait! Temp and pH need to be stable and matched, fry are very sensitive to them. Good luck! Should be hatching 72-100 hrs depending on the temp :)

Wow thanks bodoba and mysterygirl for the information! I'm glad to have lots to be taking in, it seems like grooming/raising of of fry has all kinds of methodologies and I'm taking it all in.

I'll buy a sponge for the stone tomorrow but as it stands at the moment it's a whisper10 with the air bled 2/3 off.

And thanks ChelseaM for the tip, I ended up sorting them with an eye dropper and essentially using the candle method with them. The black dots were easy to see when I knew what to look for. I had over 100 fertilized eggs that I gathered just by shaking out plants, I wad happy :)

So I have ONE fry! One! That's it! Ahh lol. He hatched out after 70 hours so he's been hatched 4 days now :) still kicking, wish me luck! I'll post a pic later!

Edited by ActiasAmy

One fry! What a trooper! Can't wait to see pics! :)

What happened to the other fry?

One fry! What a trooper! Can't wait to see pics! :)

What happened to the other fry?

I had never had my fish spawn before so I didn't know I couldn't brush the eggs off of decor and plants. Between that and not having any methylene blue on hand, the eggs were damaged enough that fungus took all but one.

ONE.

de82a7483e59ec8655af699aee122105.jpg

Aww he looks like a fighter :heart I have hope for him :) good luck little guy!

Aww he looks like a fighter [emoji813] I have hope for him :) good luck little guy!

Thanks, I'll keep updates running on my blog! My other half is pretty attached, we're both amazed that one made it!

:clapping:

One fry! Just like I had! :flex:

:rofl3 Congrats on the little guy. :D

You should be getting a lil green breeder's medal in the next day or so. :nana

Good luck with him!

eggcellent!! congratulations, grandma! :rofl