Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tiffkris

I'm back...and need some clarification!

Hi everyone! I have finally gotten back into goldfish keeping after taking a break for the past few years, for many reasons, but I'm happy to say hello again!

However, I think I made a novice mistake? and wanted to get some clarification and maybe some reassurance. Okay..

My son had a 10 gallon tropical tank setup for 2 months. After cycling, we slowly added a betta and two platies, who thrived, and water conditions were spot on. However, he really became uninterested and wanted to "get our goldfish back". After some thought, I definitely agreed. So, I went out and purchased a 37 gallon. I did a bit of research on upgrading tanks, and many people said everything went fine, or some had a mini cycle that lasted a week or so. I have never upgraded before. I've started with big tanks, so I, perhaps foolishly, thought everything would go over well even though the tank was young.

So, yesterday morning I transferred the filter (Marineland 20, 100 gph) that was packed with two cycled filter pads, and almost all the old gravel that I placed in Tupperware, which I rinsed with dechlorinated water (the Tupperwave, not the gravel).. (Wanting to go barebottom). After everything was transferred over, I added another but new filter (Marineland 70, 350 gph) with 4 new filter pads. Clean water was added and dechlorinated with Prime.

A short time later, the water started to cloud. It's more like a grayish color, and I can easily see through the back of the tank and the fish inside. (They are going to live in my neighbor's 55). This morning the water looked about the same, so I tested the water using my API Master Kit. and Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrite all read 0, and pH is good. I was thoroughly expecting to see at least a small spike in ammonia. But, I tested again this evening and parameters are still perfect. So, I'm thinking bacterial bloom maybe? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated!

Edited by tiffkris

Yep, the cloudiness sounds like a bacterial bloom ... happens in my QT tank all the time when it's been more than 24 hours since the last water change. Just keep testing and doing regular water changes!

Agree

Ah, the dreaded ammonia spike! Tested at .25 ppm this morning. Stupid mini- cycle!