Flipper

Bn pleco vs prazi?

23 posts in this topic

Sooooo, it's time for routine maintenance prazi of my goldfish in their 55 gal :)

However, I now have one of Acro's albino bn plecos too. I'd like to give everyone some prazi, but am unsure if the pleco can tolerate it :idont (BTW, I asked Acro and he would like to know the answer too because people frequently ask him).

My question: do any of you Kokonuts have any experience with using prazi with bn plecos? Or do you remove them from your GF tank when treating with prazi?

Thanks for reading this :hi

Oh jeez!!! How many times have i wondered that today, and only now am just remembering that I've prazied a pleco before! :doh11::rofl

Yes when i first got Blimp, i treated him and the pleco in the main tank with just prazi. He did just fine. :)

(I'd still wait for others to chime in before you go ahead and dose :peeka)

Oh jeez!!! How many times have i wondered that today, and only now am just remembering that I've prazied a pleco before! :doh11::rofl

Yes when i first got Blimp, i treated him and the pleco in the main tank with just prazi. He did just fine. :)

(I'd still wait for others to chime in before you go ahead and dose :peeka)

Thanks! :bighug yeah, I'm thinking prazi is ok, but not salt :idont

I've Prazi'd all 3 of my Acro Plecos and they have been totally fine :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Right, the salt is a no no (though some have done that and it was okay, but...) but you're not planning on any salt right?

I've Prazi's all 3 of my Acro Plecos and they have been totally fine :)

Thanks Jared! I was hoping you'd see this :hug

just a quick search on google scholar shows that biltricide (prazi) is used to treat synodontis in South Africa, they also don't have scales and plecostomas I think are a part of the family or closely related.

Also recommended for plecos living in Japan but only the outline was translated.

The only concern is that when the flukes detach they can cause discomfort and secondary infections to which we usually treat with salt but due to the lack of scales on the fish, you would have to do another option. If you fear that there may be secondary infections due to the detaching then you can isolate the fish before treatment. I don't think halving the dose is advisable and you don't want the flukes to gain a resistance.

On an interesting note: i found that they are using prazi effectively against flat worms as well. :) hopefully someone else can follow up

Right, the salt is a no no (though some have done that and it was okay, but...) but you're not planning on any salt right?

No. I'm not planning on it now.... But you never know in the future :idont

Zebb is such a spikey and spikey thing that catching him REALLY sucks :o

I also prazi'd my bn, and he was fine!

just a quick search on google scholar shows that biltricide (prazi) is used to treat synodontis in South Africa, they also don't have scales and plecostomas I think are a part of the family or closely related.

Also recommended for plecos living in Japan but only the outline was translated.

The only concern is that when the flukes detach they can cause discomfort and secondary infections to which we usually treat with salt but due to the lack of scales on the fish, you would have to do another option. If you fear that there may be secondary infections due to the detaching then you can isolate the fish before treatment. I don't think halving the dose is advisable and you don't want the flukes to gain a resistance.

On an interesting note: i found that they are using prazi effectively against flat worms as well. :) hopefully someone else can follow up

Wow, Una! That was very scientific and informative! Thanks :)

:bighug

I also prazi'd my bn, and he was fine!

Cool! It's looking safe fore Zebb then! Thanks Tammy :bighug

It never even occurred to me that there might have been a problem. I just prazi'd in qt. Lol! :):thumbs:

It never even occurred to me that there might have been a problem. I just prazi'd in qt. Lol! :):thumbs:

:rofl so funny :D

I prazi'd mine in the main tanks with the goldfish because it was maintenance time anyway. I didn't add any salt and none of the 3 Plecos developed secondary infections.

I prazi'd mine in the main tanks with the goldfish because it was maintenance time anyway. I didn't add any salt and none of the 3 Plecos developed secondary infections.

Good to know :)

I asked Alex awhile back whether BN plecos needed Prazi treatment. He said he did not treat his BN pleco with Prazi when he got him, but that he leaves him in the tank for the goldies' maintenance doses.

I have all three of mine going through it right now with no issues whatsoever.

I asked Alex awhile back whether BN plecos needed Prazi treatment. He said he did not treat his BN pleco with Prazi when he got him, but that he leaves him in the tank for the goldies' maintenance doses.

I have all three of mine going through it right now with no issues whatsoever.

I'm glad to hear this :thumbs:

:bighug x2 :D

This is good to know. I've never used prazi with any of my fish. But many seem to use it as a preventative measure. Can someone remind me what it's for? I've been feeling the need to start treating my fish, just to be on the safe side.

As for salt, I've used Morton's Canning & Pickling salt at a level of 0.3% when I had a sick goldfish (Krang) years ago. I left everyone in the tank (the sick goldfish, another goldfish and a male BN) and all did fine. Just add the salt slower than for goldfish, let the pleco get used to it, watch for any problems and take the salt out right when the treatment is done, with out letting it linger.

Edited by Acro

This is good to know. I've never used prazi with any of my fish. But many seem to use it as a preventative measure. Can someone remind me what it's for? I've been feeling the need to start treating my fish, just to be on the safe side.

As for salt, I've used Morton's Canning & Pickling salt at a level of 0.3% when I had a sick goldfish (Krang) years ago. I left everyone in the tank (the sick goldfish, another goldfish and a male BN) and all did fine. Just add the salt slower than for goldfish, let the pleco get used to it, watch for any problems and take the salt out right when the treatment is done, with out letting it linger.

Hi Sean :) the prazi is for treating flukes :o the salt is for treating the secondary infection that often happen once the flukes fall off. We treat at regular intervals to keep the fluke population on our fish to a minimum. Or at least we don't want them causing our goldies problems :no: there is liquid prazi (prazipro) and also powdered praziquantel that needs to be measured on a scale and reconstituted before being added to the tank.

I'm glad to here that your pleco did ok with salt :thumb::D because I may need to use it someday :o

:hi

Since Alex hasn't commented, I'll pass on what he told me awhile back: prazi on its own should be safe for most (if not all) fish. I'm treating some corydoras with it at the moment and they seem fine so far. :)

Since Alex hasn't commented, I'll pass on what he told me awhile back: prazi on its own should be safe for most (if not all) fish. I'm treating some corydoras with it at the moment and they seem fine so far. :)

Awesome sauce! Great to know :) thanks Dan!

:bighug

Really glad this came up! I'd been worried about when my maintenance rounds came about.

Really glad this came up! I'd been worried about when my maintenance rounds came about.

:nana:thumb: I'm glad to help in any little way :teehee