Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Eggs ... again

I just got home from work and saw 3 eggs in my tank. I'm pretty sure it was my pompom, Cookie, who laid them, since her vent is sticking out a lot and has been over the course of the last few days. (I still can't tell if my fish are gravid by looking at them from above, or any angle. I keep hearing this should be obvious, but it's still not at all to me. They are all pretty chubby and any difference appears very slight to my eye - and I have been observing all of them very obsessively over the last few months. Maybe she just has a more even distribution of the eggs, and I should be using the enlarged vent as my main trigger for her?)

Right now I have Gordo, the only male; Cookie; Panache and Pacman (little BN pleco) in the main tank. Adele is in QT for salt treatment after a pimple popped on her. Since the QT tank is unavailable and none of the eggs hatched last time I moved them, I will just keep them in the main tank and hope at least one is left unscathed.

I'm just wondering why my numbers are so low. My up-close vision is very good (I'm super nearsighted), and I was only able to find the 3 eggs, although I'm sure there are more hidden behind things. I have no idea when they were laid, but it had to have been today. Since this has happened twice now and both times I wasn't there to witness the spawning, I'm interested to know whether there are so few eggs because my fish really aren't laying a lot, or if they're just eating almost all before I come home.

I'm just hoping I see those two black dots soon! I will also continue to observe my fish closely, and hopefully next time I will notice when one is gravid so I can throw in a spawning mop to get more eggs.

878e95904173364c230fbae75d7e1088.jpg

f76d845f4fa41650e19a21c32b756423.jpg

e767f4d620dbe39837504dfcc8f56480.jpg

013f45d134e9766eee75d73619d29bca.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

Good luck with your eggs :)

Oohh good luck!! I hope it works out this time!!!

( :whisper There are always more eggs than we see. There are usually also more fry too)

Have you removed them from the tank?

Good luck!!!!

Eggs get eaten. I've yet to see a fertilized goldfish egg, but I've found hundreds of fry that hatched in waste water. The fact that you found these three indicates the big fish stuffed themselves with eggs to the point that they stopped looking -- temporarily.

I think I'd be tempted to move the fish out and see if more are hiding and hatch... :peeka

Congrats and goodd luck!

Eggs get eaten. I've yet to see a fertilized goldfish egg, but I've found hundreds of fry that hatched in waste water. The fact that you found these three indicates the big fish stuffed themselves with eggs to the point that they stopped looking -- temporarily.

Yes, someone probably had omelets for breakfast! :rofl

Unfortunately I have nowhere to move either the eggs or the adults ... The 10 gallon I have is in use. All of the eggs are still intact as of this morning.

Last year I had no idea I had eggs, and then found a bunch of fry clinging to the tank walls during a water change. I was able to remove the fry. I'm hoping that will happen again. :)

Edited by *Amanda*

Those eggs dont' need a lot of room for now. Even if you have a 1-2 gallon Tupperware like container you could put them in there. :whistle

The same thing happened when I found Waldo's egg on the filter intake. I saw that egg with eyes in it and found about 5 other eggs that I thought might hatch. None did, just his. I think the same thing happened in my tank as Sharon has suggested happened in yours--eggs for breakfast. :rofl

Good luck. :D

Well, I tried to move one of the eggs to a safe location and I think I crushed it when I lifted the plant leaf up out of the water since it looks smashed now. Shoot.

I will leave the other one in the tank and just hope no one eats it first - it definitely looks fertilized.

How do you guys remove and transport the eggs? I tried my best to get the leaf into the filter bag underwater, but it still got crushed. Last year I used a mesh breeder box to collect the eggs, but then I was there to pick them up as they fell from the fish. 100% of them hatched. Unfortunately I don't have one at the moment, so I tried to use a filter bag that I could float in the main tank ... I think that was a mistake since the egg could have been crushed by the bag anyway.

Edit: On second thought, I will cut the leaf of the last egg and put it into a pitcher. I worry about temperature, but the fish already ate the other egg 15 minutes ago and I am certain this one will get eaten if I don't do something.

When I had Waldo (still in his egg) in a separate tank, the water temp was about 66*. I had assumed it would be warmer and didn't even check it for days. Once I noticed it was so cool (and he hatched during this time), I got a betta tank heater. I think it was about 8 watts and maybe $10. I used that for quite some time. Once I had him in over 5 gallons of water, I switched over to a 25 watt with adjustable temp control.

I hate to think what I spent on that one fry. :rofl I for sure could have gotten a fish from Ken. :rofl3

If your fish are spawning frequently, you might want to make some spawning mops and keep them in the tank. You should always be able to find some eggs stuck on the yarn.

If your fish are spawning frequently, you might want to make some spawning mops and keep them in the tank. You should always be able to find some eggs stuck on the yarn.

I think I will do that. My fish don't spawn when they're "supposed to." I had put a spawning mop in there in anticipation of the second spawning that was supposed to happen within 2 weeks of the first ... well, it looks like my fish are on a different schedule since it's now been 2 months, haha.

I put one egg in the pitcher and the one I think I crushed in another container ... just in case. I left this note so no one would touch it ... can you tell I'm hopeful? :rofl

I also saw another egg in the tank, on the Anubias roots.

01e42fe843c51d49f4afada32f1f9af9.jpg

Well, I tried to move one of the eggs to a safe location and I think I crushed it when I lifted the plant leaf up out of the water since it looks smashed now. Shoot.

I will leave the other one in the tank and just hope no one eats it first - it definitely looks fertilized.

How do you guys remove and transport the eggs? I tried my best to get the leaf into the filter bag underwater, but it still got crushed. Last year I used a mesh breeder box to collect the eggs, but then I was there to pick them up as they fell from the fish. 100% of them hatched. Unfortunately I don't have one at the moment, so I tried to use a filter bag that I could float in the main tank ... I think that was a mistake since the egg could have been crushed by the bag anyway.

Edit: On second thought, I will cut the leaf of the last egg and put it into a pitcher. I worry about temperature, but the fish already ate the other egg 15 minutes ago and I am certain this one will get eaten if I don't do something.

Yes, get that egg outta there! :krazy: I took out the whole plant (or whatever it's stuck to) and stuck it in some water.

For the temp, I don't see why you couldn't take a big bowl, add tank water to it, and float it in the top of the tank. :idont

Yes, get that egg outta there! :krazy: I took out the whole plant (or whatever it's stuck to) and stuck it in some water.

For the temp, I don't see why you couldn't take a big bowl, add tank water to it, and float it in the top of the tank. :idont

That's a really good idea, actually. The challenge would be getting it to stay put. I had a hard enough time doing that even with the mesh breeders, which have metal hooks on them for this exact purpose ... they still kept falling into the tank. I also have a VERY strong filter current that pushes everything around. I came home last night and my poor snail (whose name is Waldo, like Lisa's fish - I named him that because he blends in and is very hard to find, and was a hitchhiker who went completely undetected in my tank for 2 months) was on a piece of pennywort that had floated to the top of the tank. He looked like he was on a merry-go-round! :rofl

dfdee9b48e1f02c43885610c5c1aeb0d.jpg

ec77e86b2e2bb2e00a2d1535d7befca1.jpg

As of now, I have one egg in the pitcher, one in a bowl and one I can see in the tank (hopefully ... I haven't come home yet to confirm it hasn't been eaten). I will try to see if I can find something that will float, but most of my bowls are ceramic or glass so I'm not sure if I have one that will work. It's pretty warm right now where I live, so hopefully the temp won't be too much of a problem if not. Either way, I'm stealing my boyfriend's breeder basket for the next spawning when I go over there tomorrow (hey, I bought it for him!).

Edited by *Amanda*

Why do you have such a strong current?

This is what I mean about the bowl. I don't know if I painted a very clear picture haha. I feed Kite this way every morning when the others get pellets (although I fill it more haha, easier to demonstrate when it's up higher :P)

ehyhyneb.jpg

You could use a clamp to keep it from floating about.

Why do you have such a strong current?

Not sure, that's just how my filter is. I got the API Filstar XP-L canister for my 50 gal tank, which is within the recommended gph for a tank this size. The current is very strong at the top, but not elsewhere in the tank (which is 21" tall). My fish swim all around the tank and have never appeared like they are getting pushed around, so I haven't made any modifications. I figured more water movement is better, as long as it's not causing problems for my fish.

This is what I mean about the bowl. I don't know if I painted a very clear picture haha. I feed Kite this way every morning when the others get pellets (although I fill it more haha, easier to demonstrate when it's up higher :P)ehyhyneb.jpg

You could use a clamp to keep it from floating about.

That looks perfect. I don't have any plastic bowls right now, but I will get one. :)

Awesome. I think it's the simplest way for now, and what I would do for the first while if my fish spawned again. :)