Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Dalya-and-her-Goldies

Are aquarium lights important?

11 posts in this topic

My aquarium light doesnt work and my parents aren‘t willing to replace it. So i was wondering, is it that important at all? When i had goldies, i would let my tank be with natural light and turned on a small lamp on afternoons and when needed. Do I have to replace the light or not? How important is this to goldfish keeping?

Edited by Dalya-and-her-Goldies

This is a question I am interested in knowing also, here is something I found on Goldfish and light:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8761556_light-affect-goldfish.html

I'm not sure I completely agree with that ehow...

If the tank is in a room that gets at least some natural light or light from the lighting in the room they should be fine. Lighting over the tank is mostly to make them easier to see for our enjoyment.

The article also states that having algae grow in tank will cause an unhealthy environment. This is also not completely true. If not monitored it can cause pH and oxygen fluctuations when there is a high level of algae, however, if there is proper surface agitation and a stable pH algae can mean they are in a healthy environment and the goldies will actually pick at an eat the algae in the tank.

The twelve hours on and twelve hours off isn't exactly true either. If the fish were in a pond they would go by the when the sun rises and sets which is not always consistent. Also, to have the lights on for twelve hours will almost guarantee that there will be algae in the tank. I have mine on for about 6-8 hours and still get a ton of algae growth and I have greenish water. Which I don't mind as the fish seem to enjoy it all.

So no lighting is not entirely needed in my opinion.

Edited by Mernany

Yeah, I don't think I agree with the article either just based on my fish :) The only way I could really have them do 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark is to keep them in a windowless room. Here, it is summer, so 12 hours of darkness just doesn't happen. We also use the room they are in, so the ambient light is around even after sunset. That being said, I only have lights on my tanks that have fancy plants. Plants are the only reason I ever keep specific lighting on an aquarium :) And my goldies only have crypts which are super easy to grow in low light, so the lights on my goldfish tank are just standing room lamps!

I have not had any lighting on my tanks for upto a year now.

Recently I bought replacement bulbs, and turned it on.

They got a bit frazzled...maybe they are used to natural light now.

I don't think Goldfish have to have lighting as long as there is some natural light in the room. However, live plants definitely need at least some lighting to flourish.

I think the duration of lighting is flexible based on the needs of the keeper and what they are keeping:)

I don't have any tank lights but I do have natural light in the room my tank is in. My goldfish do fine and the Anubias and Java ferns do fine as well :)

I agree with the above posters that lighting is not a necessity. Hopefully you at least have enough natural light to be able to see your fish, though.

Ehow has some pretty bad information, unfortunately. I just gave them a piece of my mind (politely, of course ) over an article they posted about how to breed goldfish and raise the fry. The article said that if you buy a female goldfish, she might be pregnant and will lay eggs in your tank and you will get fry - no male necessary! I'm not kidding. Hopefully, they have corrected the article. It had a lot of other errors I pointed out (such as start feeding the fry adult pellets and flake food as soon as they hatch), but that one was just absurd!

Edited by *Amanda*

I've always felt like lights are only needed if you're growing corals or plants. If you just have fish I think it is more for your benefit than anything. Unless you're in a really dimly lit room, there should be enough natural/artificial light. :)

Thank's everyone for all the advice and information :)

My room is pretty much lit so i guess i guess i wont have to replace the light. ;) I am revieled to hear that.

As Dan said, lights are required for many plants, and people enjoy lighted tanks. Fish don't care.