Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
ghoti

Betta Startup

5 posts in this topic

Okay so I mentioned on my blog that I've been wanting a betta again recently. So I've compiled a list of what I intend on buying and things I already have, and I'd like a few opinions on whether I should change or go for something else.

Planning to buy:

- Top Fin 5.5 Gallon Starter Kit

comes with;

- 16" Incandescent Hood and bulb

- Power Filter w/ Cartridge

- API Test Kit

Currently have;

- Aqueon Betta pellets

- Nutrafin Betta flakes

- Seachem Prime

- Two Marina Betta heaters (listed as good for 1 gallon)

- Thermometer

----

I read some reviews on the 5.5 Starter and apparently the light fixture and light tends to stop functioning due to evaporating water and rust. I will probably work a way around the light. Someone correct me if the source is wrong, but I read somewhere that bettas don't need a lot of light and are more of a low-light fish. Again if this is wrong, please tell me. I don't remember where I read it but it was from a few months ago so there is a chance I misread it.

The filter is also apparently graded for a 10 gallon and some people say its too strong for their betta. I intend on baffling the filter with some floss and not using the cartridge. I'll most likely use more floss/sponge and maybe a few ceramic rings.

For now I'll see how warm the two heaters I currently have will heat up the 5 gallons. If it isn't enough then I will get a new heater. I'm predicting for now it might not be but it's better to try right? lol

And the test kit I've been needing/wanting for a long time now so it'll always be on my list of things to buy xP

So my questions;

1. Would the Top Fin filter suffice? Or should I just splurge and go for the AC20?

2. How would you set-up the betta filter?

3. What heaters would be good for a 5 gallon, in case the two heaters don't work well enough.

You need at least a 10 gallon tank.

Oh... Okay. I guess its a never mind on getting a betta :)

You can have a male in that small a tank.

You could have just 1 male Betta or just one female Betta in that size tank. I have a female Betta in my 5 gallon tank.

The light fixture is fine. I used to have that model with a couple other Bettas but upgraded to the 5 gallon kit with the LED lights and gave the old set to my Niece and Nephew. The LED one gave out because of moisture and only lasted 4 or 5 months. The incandescent one was better for me. The incandescent bulb that comes with your kit gives of a soft glow so that will be fine. When I had the incandescent model I used this bulb: http://www.walmart.c...c-Pets/10448675 And I used this one too: http://www.walmart.c...t-Bulb/26498338 these are brighter but didn't bother my Betta at all, but the tank had plenty of plants and a cave for shade if they ever wanted to be in a darker area.

Yes you can always baffle the filter if the current is too strong. I used a rectangle aquarium sponge and a rubber band held it onto the filter outflow part to slow the flow of water. Of course an AC20 would be great too because there is a water control switch built in! You can always try the filter the kit comes with to see how it goes before you buy an AC20. But the AC20 is a great filter with all the filter media options ;)

I had this heater: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater-50-Watts-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/12177656?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=30479141942&category=0%3A5440%3A202074%3A202100&client_guid=6ec4c752-da5a-4104-adce-d9065f7935bd&config_id=0&parent_item_id=10291808&guid=cdac7e80-a403-49a0-8950-4cdd45dfa3bc&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

There are ones that say 2 to 15 gallons and ones that say up to 10 gallons. I have used both in my 5 gallon tanks.