Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chocky

bottom sitting ranchu

Remind me--how long has it been since you've been fasting her? In Epsom? Have you seen any poo yet?

It may be time for water born meds. Do you have anything available? Do you still have prazi? Any antibiotics?

i haven't seen her eaten since Friday (so 1 week). I specifically fasted her and she's been in Epsom since Monday.

Last night did a big water change and re-added the epsom. This morning still no poop.

I used this medication for flukes when i did my QT's on all my fish:

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/medications-additives/internal-parasite-clear-50g/

I don't have anything other meds besides that on hand

If you don't have any Metronidazole, you can get this medicine called HexEx ( its a dummy name for Demitridazole) from that Bannister LFS. Just tell them I send you.( it's only sold to regulars) Get that 25gm powder bottle, cost about A$25 I think. I just bought 50 gm a few days ago. This medicine is very effective against internal/external problems such your case, dropsy, ulcers etc.. It's a medicine that I recommend you stock. My last bottle dated 2009 still worked.

I am not familiar with Internal Parasite Clear that you used. Does it list an active ingredient?

Flukes are not internal . . .

I am not familiar with Internal Parasite Clear that you used. Does it list an active ingredient?

Flukes are not internal . . .

No it doesn't but it was recommended by the LFS and they said its fine for flukes.

"As well as some skin and gill flukes."

Considering she isn't clamping or flashing, i didn't think it is flukes. =/

(when i first bought her she definitely had flukes as she was showing all the signs)

But if you think it will help, i can go get this one:

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/blue_planet_fluke_and_tapeworm_tablets#.VAkfnGPP4Ro

(which has the prazi in it)

Spitting food is also a sign of gill flukes. No necessary to show yawning, flashing, red body, not eating or fins clamping and splits. Most of the time they don't show any sighs at all, just lethargic.

I have that Internal Parasites too. It's more effect when use in gel food against internal protozoans for externally I preferred the good old Praziquantel powder.

Ok i'll head to the stores today get some prazi :)

edit: i guess flukes would be easiest to treat and eliminate as a possible reason for her being not well.

i hope it is a simple case of flukes and she'll get better soon.. :doh11:

Edited by chocky

I'd like you to have some antibiotics on hand in case she starts looking worse once the prazi is added. Secondary infections are not uncommon, especially if the fluke load is heavy. I'd like to use metronidazole along with erythromycin, kanamycin, or trisulfa but i'm not sure if any of those are available to you? :idont

And, thank you, Jeff, for your input. :D

I'd like you to have some antibiotics on hand in case she starts looking worse once the prazi is added. Secondary infections are not uncommon, especially if the fluke load is heavy. I'd like to use metronidazole along with erythromycin, kanamycin, or trisulfa but i'm not sure if any of those are available to you? :idont

And, thank you, Jeff, for your input. :D

Hmm I'm pretty sure I saw trisulfa at our LPS. I'm picking up some anti biotics from a vet friend too but couldn't remember which it was (Jeff which was it? The metro?)

Metronidazole, Metrogyl or Flagyl ...called differently but all the same.

Trisulfa is available at LFS but not Kanamycin or Erythromycin but you can order online API Emerythromycin powder online.

How are things coming along? :idont

I have started her on metro as well yesterday.

She seemed to have eaten a Hikari pellet or two! :)

Also seems to be still expelling or pooping out sand o_o

So she is on metro and still in Epsom? Were you able to find any other antibiotic?

My ranchu Waddles poos sand all the time. About once a month during the WC I put him in a bucket of tank water so I can see how much sand he poos out in a few hours. :peeka. This time I also gave him some Repashy while he was in the bucket and he did end up pooing green so I'm not too worried. Things are moving through him just fine. :teehee

No I took out the Epsom but added 0.1% salt because she is on prazi too.

Should i still use epsom?

I didn't think she needed anymore because she has been fasting for 9 days and not pooping or eating.

Today was first time she ate.

I only managed to get metro. I can tri sulfa if u think I should have it on hand?

I was worried about sand because she hasn't been in sand substrate tank for 9 days o_o

She has a sore from parking too :(

3ef679182ac4f03e7b2a6ed24ddc4f8d.jpg

9e98c897adc49f21c7f0b3da861c69fb.jpg

Poor thing :(

We use salt along with Prazi to fight secondary bacterial infection. If you're using a waterborne antibacterial, you don't need the salt.

Metronidazole is an antibiotic with some antiparasitic properties. You'll get better antibacterial coverage if you use tri sulfa also. So, yes, please get that if you can.

You can leave the Epsom out for now. Hopefully now that she's eating you will start seeing more poo and/or sand. :)

Ok great thanks :) will get the tri sulfa tmr

Btw

I'm having trouble getting the prazi and metro to dilute completely even though I grind up into fine powder.

Any tips?

I've never used powdered metro but when I've used powdered Prazi, I've put it in a container with some tank water and shook shook shook til I couldn't shake any more. :rofl

Wee I'm happy to report she is somewhat swimming around today!

I know she's not completely out of the deep but I'm glad she's not just bottom sitting anymore :)

Looking positive, she is winning. Now try to entice her to eat some fbw daily, if she start to eat that means she is recovering. Do it close to your water change. Don't feed too much.

Looking positive, she is winning. Now try to entice her to eat some fbw daily, if she start to eat that means she is recovering. Do it close to your water change. Don't feed too much.

:rockon Good news. :D

Yah i also saw a LOT of sand in the tank. she must be finally passing it LOL

But definitely swimming more and off the bottom, like she's trying to stay mid-float :)

:greenbanana:

First signs of real poop tonight!

I'll be uploading a video soon

Umm I just bought the tri sulfa. Should I still use it? And do I just dose as per bottle same time as metro?

If you feel that your fish is eating and recovering, don't change the treatment. Metro should be used for at least 7days to complete it's cycle otherwise you maybe creating resistance bugs for your fish.

I'm sorry your fish wasn't doing well but happy to read that she's swimming some and pooping now. :) Continued success with your treatment.