* Nitrate level(Tank) - below 20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) - 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.8ish

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.4ish

• Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - API Master Drop kit

* Water temperature? - between 12 to 18C (depending what time during the day)

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 400L pond, 1yr

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Sicce 2500L/hr pond pump

* How often do you change the water and how much? - 30-50% weekly, 80% or more monthly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - 4 days ago, 30%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? - 14 ranchus (sizes and age vary - 1 inch to 4.5inches)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? - API Tap water / Prime (just whatever on hand)

* What do you feed your fish and how often? - Hikari Lionhead, my own gelfood, 2-4 times a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? - about a month ago (QT'ed beforehand)

* Any medications added to the tank? - no

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - Did preventative fluke treatment around April 2014 (Autumn), QT any new fish for 3-4weeks before introducing to main pond.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - No

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? -

So last friday we had a very warm morning, my fish started going crazy and i realised they were trying to spawn. I have 1 very large female, and she was being chased relentlessly. There were quite a few scales on the bottom of the pond. This was around 10am. I also noticed a smaller female (i'm guessing she's female), she was bottom sitting and not really moving much. I figured she may have been just stressed or tired from being chased.

Anyway, i took both females out and placed them in separate QT tubs (50L with air stone). I put one male with the larger female with some spawning mops (i dont know.. maybe they would spawn? LOL), and the smaller one by herself as she seemed most stressed.

Next day (saturday), i checked on the larger female (& male), but i didn't see any eggs. Just a lot of poop (false alarm? LOL) and she looked a bit skinnier , both were happy and active even in the QT, so i put them back in the main pond.

The smaller one however is still bottom sitting and not moving much. I added 1 tablespoon of salt to see if that would help. She's not very interested in food either. I don't know if she's just sad being in the tub by herself, i'm thinking about moving her back into the main pond. There's no red streaks, no white dots or anything to suggest that she is sick. :/

Any ideas on whats wrong? I just hope she's not egg bound... When i touch her belly, its firm on the side, but softish near her butthole area (LOL). Any suggestions on what i should do?

I'll post some photos..

Have you seen any poo from her? What kind of salt did you add to her QT?

Have you seen any poo from her? What kind of salt did you add to her QT?

Hi thanks for responding :)

It's natural pool salt that i blitz in a spice grinder and dissolve completely before adding in. (used it several times and even on BBR so i know its safe)

Umm..not really.. maybe a short stick or two? (like.. 0.5cm)

I tried putting her back in the main pond. When she swims it's like she's too heavy and can't get off the surface :(

I might try fasting for a few days?

Epsom Salt might be a bit more useful here, but we'll wait for Lisa to confirm. :)

Having a fish that seems off is hard, but you're doing great. Hang in there. :hug

I'm so sorry :(

I agree with yafashelli that we should wait till Lisa comes back to decide on what treatment to use :)

Epsom Salt might be a bit more useful here, but we'll wait for Lisa to confirm. :)

Having a fish that seems off is hard, but you're doing great. Hang in there. :hug

I'm so sorry :(

I agree with yafashelli that we should wait till Lisa comes back to decide on what treatment to use :)

Thanks for the messages!! :)

I'm just a bit stumped as i've never had to go through this before.. lol

she's back in the QT just waiting for instruction. :bath

If you were to gently lift her up to the surface and then let her go what happens? does she sink like a rock?

If you were to gently lift her up to the surface and then let her go what happens? does she sink like a rock?

Hmm didn't try that or take note. when I put her back in the pond she just swam out of my hand but like glided back to the bottom and continued swimming along the bottom :(

Yep, let's try some Epsom and fasting. The dose for Epsom is 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons.

Could you make a video of her as you release her from the top of the tank so we can see what she does?

Ok I just went outside and tried it.

Definitely looked like she just sank..

I'll try and get a video up ASAP

Yep, let's try some Epsom and fasting. The dose for Epsom is 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons.

Could you make a video of her as you release her from the top of the tank so we can see what she does?

Ok no problem

Not sure if I have Epsom salt on hand but I'll do a 100% water change and add it tmr when I can buy some.

Thank you heaps!

I managed to find an unopened Epsom salt packet at my parents place - yay!

I've added it to the tub, which also has clean fresh water.

Here's a video - sorry it's not very clear. :/ but hope it shows something useful.

Edit- couldn't link the YouTube video.. let me try something else.. hmm

Edited by chocky

Here's a video - sorry it's not very clear. :/ but hope it shows something useful.

If you just copy and paste the video link, and we'll do the embedding for you.

Sinking goldfish:

Edited by chocky

If you just copy and paste the video link, and we'll do the embedding for you.

Hmm every time I paste it the link disappears?

Are you trying to use the buttons in the post box?

What is the exact title of the video, and your username? I'll search for it on youtube for you. :)

ah cool works now

i think cos i was using tapatalk it wasn't showing up or something..

this morning checked on her.

no poop :(

she still swims a bit but really struggling. she's been like this since Friday so getting bit worried now :S

Edited by chocky

Just checked on her again this evening..

Still no improvement :(

No signs of poop either..

this morning tried giving her some de-shelled peas, she swam to it, took it but spat it back out.

i also checked her belly, and its still somewhat firm. she swims around a bit but mainly just sticking to the bottom of the tub.

its almost been a week now... Is she just recovering from spawning or..? :huh:

is there anything else i should be doing? I feel kind of helpless not doing anything for her right now...

Elaine, sorry to hear about your drama. how long have you got her? Did you do a complete QT and treated with prazi before you mixed them in the pond? Did you notice she has any difficulty in swimming prior to her spawning ordeal? (like swimming with head higher than tail, like a small motor boat)

I'll speculate it could either be an internal bacteria infection (due to egg binding) or parasites (usually flukes at this time of the year, since food spitting) or even swim bladder problem.s ( common with females having difficulty in spawning) If after 5 days with your current treatment don't work, you'll require a different treatment.

ATB

A little background info on the fish -

Bought this fish about 3 months ago (maybe more...) , did a full month of QT with salt and fluke treatment (followed the instructions on the bottle). Had a feeling this fish may have had a bad case of flukes as there was flashing, clamping and bottom sitting.

Anyway - after QT, in to the main pond she went and she has been happy and healthy since. No other fish got sick. Had another addition or two after that fish (same QT procedure) and no sick fish since then.

Swims normally and eats happily. If there's any fault i could point out, she may be a runt - her head growth is significally bigger in proportion to her body. but i have never notice any floatiness or swimming problems.

I do have a thin layer of sand as substrate, so i was thinking either she spawned (or not) , and ate the eggs + too much sand >.<

All the other fish are ok though.

Sorry to hear about your little lady. Hope you see improvement soon :hug

Remind me--how long has it been since you've been fasting her? In Epsom? Have you seen any poo yet?

It may be time for water born meds. Do you have anything available? Do you still have prazi? Any antibiotics?