Jesilyn Jimenez

Breeding stars

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I was wondering if y'all can help me out with a doubt I have. Will goldfish get breeding stars even without a female in the tank? I've read mixed things about this. My 2 orange are 2.5 years old and they didn't get breeding stars until 3 months back, when my blue and calico orandas joined the gang. I thought the calico was a female for sure because it was bigger and had no breeding stars, but over night, he got them on the pectoral fins. My little blue dude came already with breeding stars. He was so tiny though!! Still has them on the pectorals and now on his gills.

Now all my males have breeding stars in both pectorals and gills, all but my calico, who only has them in the pectoral fins. Is this a normal thing? Sorry if it it a dumb question, but I keep reading mixed information. Some say they will only develop them if there is a female around, others say they will develop them when they are ready to chase, and others say they can get them and keep them all year round. I am so confused...

I have three males and they all have breeding stars even without a female present. I mostly see them on the pectoral fins though. There are times when I don't even see them at all. So I don't think they are always present. I'm not sure if it's "normal" as you put it to have them both on the pectoral fins and on the gills. I always thought they develop breeding stars only as mature fish. Hopefully you'll hear back from others on this and with a more lengthy answer to your questions. :)

That is what I thought too, that they got them as mature fish, but my "blu" oranda came with them, and he is so tiny! When I got him he was like 1.5 inches. I knew out of that bat Blu was a male. My calico (Dottie), who is bigger than Blu got them a few weeks ago. I always thought Dottie was a female, but nope... My tank is full of males!! Lol

I always thought one of my fish was a female because when she was younger she was being chased by three bigger fish. It turned out my female was a male. He eventually got his breeding stars. I don't know why they picked on him so much. I was so worried I bought a new tank setup just for that one fish of mine. Many months after all that I did end up putting that fish of mine in the bigger tank with my other males.

One of my fish who I bought from a previous home was by himself and when I got him he didn't have breeding stars on his gills but on his pectoral fins he had huge clumps of them making little mountains it looked kinda weird but he never lost them :)

Breeding stars can happen all year round. They can be present on the pectorals, gill plates, and in rare cases they can even be present on other fins and the fish's body. My male oranda, Tsumo, had them above his eyes like little eyebrows. :teehee Breeding stars can come in all numbers, positions, and patterns. The two usual spaces to find them are gill plates and pectoral fins.

In rare cases, female goldfish can also sport breeding stars. A good example of this is Jennie's (SolidGold on YouTube) female Bristol Shubunkin.

The one surefire way to tell if a live goldfish is male or female is to see if it lays eggs or not.