Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Linzi Glitter

Gumshoe is sick and sad :(

Hi guys,

Haven't tested my water for a little while, so will do that asap and get the results to you.

Had some issues in my tank lately. Nightshade died, possibly due to an internal parasite, but unsure. Super sad, felt helpless and still feeling horrible.

Lipstick has bacterial cysts popping up everywhere (and her own D&D thread about them).

Now Gumshoe is showing omonious signs and symptoms. Which is REALLY worrying, because this is the fish who showed no sign of stress illness in hideous ammonia and nitrite when a cycle problem went horribly wrong, and everyone else was bottom sitting and dying.

Gumshoe is:

* Bottomsitting

* Flashing (is this what it is called when they quickly scrap against the gravel?)

* Clamped fins

* Weird twitchy movement of fins

* Weird movement - seems restricted through the body

* Dark colouring appeared on the top side of her body - this has been there for awhile and I thought nothing of it because I thought colour change seems quite common and normal. But now I'm thinking it might be relevant?

Video uploading atm.

Tank is currently salted to 0.2% because of Lipstick's cysts.

All I can thing of is that the hinge on my tank is rusting, and flakes of rust may have been falling into the tank. Not sure what effect that could have. I'm going to get them out of there and into the QT asap.

Could anything else be causing this? What should I do?

Alright, those results are going to be very important. Here is the link to the form if you don't already have it.

Have all these fish shown signs and symptoms at the same time? How long ago did Nightshade pass?

Hope Gumshoe feels better.

:hi We need the form answers to help you. I would especially like to know when you last treated for Flukes. Please be as detailed as possible regarding the type of Prazi (and % salt), how many rounds you did and at what intervals.

They are all now in the QT, becasue I'm going to do a massive crazy clean out of the main tank in case rust has fallen in. But here are the params of the main tank.

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) = 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) = 0

• * Nitrate level(Tank) < 5

• * Ammonia Level(Tap) = 0

• * Nitrite Level(Tap) = 0

• * Nitrate level(Tap) = 0

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) =8.0 – 8.2

• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.4-7.6

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Fresh Water Master Test Kit (drops)
  • * Water temperature? 21*C

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 450 litres, 1.5 years

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim canister, 2 x tank capacity per hour. (I know I’m under filtered, and I’m working on fixing this situation. In the meantime I make up for it by under stocking and frequently changing water)

• * How often do you change the water and how much? 50%, 1- 2 times per week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50%, yesterday

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish (2 comets, 1 fantail). Combined weight approx 50 grams

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, GH buffer

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashi (mix of soilent green and super green), occasional blood worms and regular green veggies. Sometimes I get a bit lazy with Repashi and feel them pellets.

• * Any new fish added to the tank? Not for ages. Maybe six months to a year ago.

• * Any medications added to the tank? Salt at 0.2% for Lipstick’s bacterial cysts.

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They have all had two Prazi pro and salt treatments is the last year as per Koko’s guidelines.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? As per OP

Alright, those results are going to be very important. Here is the link to the form if you don't already have it.

Have all these fish shown signs and symptoms at the same time? How long ago did Nightshade pass?

No.

Nightshade passed away a week or two ago. His symptoms were the same as as Mao's (who had a D&D thread some time ago), but I didn't make a D&D thread for him because I'm friends will Helen, so we just spoke about it. From memory she thought it was an internal parasite or bacterial infection, but I was pretty upset and was in "just-tell-me-what-to-do" mode, so I'm sketchy on the details.

There are three fish in the tank:

* Panda - showing no signs of illness, stress or unusual behavious

*Lipstick - Has her own current D&D thread for bacterial cysts, but is not showing the same symptoms as Gummy.

*Gumshoe - showing symptoms as per my OP.

Edited by Linzi Glitter

Do you know the exact date or a close estimate to when you last treated with Prazi?

I'm sorry try aren't feeling well :hug

To me, the black color on the dorsal portion of the body looks like a color change. The flicking and clamping of the fins makes me think there is a parasitic issue. When (exact date) was the last Prazi treatment?

:hi We need the form answers to help you. I would especially like to know when you last treated for Flukes. Please be as detailed as possible regarding the type of Prazi (and % salt), how many rounds you did and at what intervals.

The first fluke treatment to the tank was around August or September last year. Approx 4 rounds of Prazi Pro at 0.1% salt.

I treated them again, more comprehensively around January - salt at 0.3%, and at least 6 rounds of Prazi Pro.

Do you know the exact date or a close estimate to when you last treated with Prazi?

I'm sorry try aren't feeling well :hug

Thanks, appreciate the sympathy, it sucks to have sick fish. I try so hard to look after them in the best possibly way, i feel reallly helpless when things go wrong.

The first fluke treatment to the tank was around August or September last year. Approx 4 rounds of Prazi Pro at 0.1% salt.

I treated them again, more comprehensively around January - salt at 0.3%, and at least 6 rounds of Prazi Pro.

Did you double dose the Prazi Pro while using it with 0.3% salt?

To me, the black color on the dorsal portion of the body looks like a color change. The flicking and clamping of the fins makes me think there is a parasitic issue. When (exact date) was the last Prazi treatment?

Yes that's what I thought, although she was a wild coloured feeder comet, and I've had her for about a year and a half, so I wasn't expecting a colour change.

Yes I did, sorry to neglect that detail.

Also, all my fish are in the QT so if the rust is an issue, that has been taken out of the equation. I'm going to do a really thorough clean of the main tank today.

This is a vid of Lipstick for her thread, but at 2.00 you can see Gummy flashing in the background. Excuse the tank, I'm in the process of disassembling it for a crazy good clean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdh9aKOpTQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Linzi Glitter

Okay, so it's been about 7 months since the last Prazi rounds. We recommend doing them every 6 months to control the Fluke population. I would go ahead and do a couple of rounds in the main tank and have some Metronidazole and a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand in case there is a secondary infection. You don't have access to Metro Meds, right?

I would also eliminate the rust issue, although I don't know that it is related to this problem :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Just noticed you asked about intervals - I did 5 day rounds both times.

Try the 7-day rounds this time :)

Okay, so it's been about 7 months since the last Prazi rounds. We recommend doing them every 6 months to control the Fluke population. I would go ahead and do a couple of rounds in the main tank and have some Metronidazole and a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand in case there is a secondary infection. You don't have access to Metro Meds, right?

I would also eliminate the rust issue, although I don't know that it is related to this problem :)

Yep, project rust elimination is happening today! :)

Is it ok to treat the whole tank when Lipstick is covered in bacterial cysts?

We don't have metro meds in Australia, but I live a couple of suburbs away from Helen, so I have Metro on hand. Just don't have a broad spectrum antibiotic. Is it something I could get from the lfs? Can you reccommend some product / brand names?

Edited by Linzi Glitter

Try the 7-day rounds this time :)

At least that will spread out the work a little. Do you think it gives them more a chance to hatch and get killed by the next round?

Started the Prazi treatment yesterday, and it revealed that I definitely have flukes. Lots of twitching, darting, and yawning once I pu the prazi pro in the tank.

Gummy is still bottom sitting quite a lot, but when she swims around her fins are no longer clamped, so that's really awesome.

I can't believe it was flukes! Just goes to show you really can't get complacent about flukes!!

Yes, I do :)

Could you please link me to the Prazi Schedules, I can't seem to find them :(

Yes, I do :)

Could you please link me to the Prazi Schedules, I can't seem to find them :(

A. SEVEN DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi. We routinely double dose with Prazi for the first round in this protocol.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 29: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 33: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 36: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 40: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.