Kokos Goldfish Forum
kiwikacey

Live bugs as goldie food?

Hi all,

I'm taking a trip to Petsmart this weekend and, as always, will stock up on frozen food for all my goldies, but I was wondering if there were any types of live bugs that would be okay to feed them. I'm talking things like waxworms, silkworms, and the like. I think it would be a neat little treat for my goldies to have once in a blue moon (they've already had live flies...when they fall in the tank!) but I wanted to make sure this was safe.

Any advice? Obviously I wouldn't be getting anything with a hard exoskeleton, but I've kept lizards in the past so I have a pretty good knowledge of the types of worms/bugs available.

Wondering if anyone has tried this! And of course if this has already been discussed, please point me to the thread :) Thank you!

you've got warm weather there, right? during summer, i keep a barrel of water outside for the occasional flower pot watering (hopefully i get to do this before the plants die :rofl ). that barrel of water becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes. i collect the mosquito larvae in a net and feed them to my fish, live. they absolutely love it :)

If you are talking about bugs from the pet store, they are fine. There are some bugs in the wild which might not be good for your fish, but not many. Look out for brightly colored caterpillars. They are signaling that they are poison (or trying to look like one that is poison). Generally, goldfish will spit out the bad ones. Mine love it when I am digging in the garden since they get all the delicious grubs.

I feed wax worms from time to time. Be careful they are fating.

omg.. i read 'farting' :rofl :rofl

i thought, i wonder what it sounds like to hear a wax worm fart? :tomuch:

Well, my little fishies will sure be in for a TREAT this weekend!!! As my friend said, after Pickle ate the last two flies, "He's tasted blood and craves more!!!" :rofl

I had just heard that bugs in the wild can be iffy, because you never know what they've been eating. Thanks for answering my question, guys! I'll let you all know how the fish react to their "special treat" lol...

I read that the same way.

:rofl

Mine really enjoy those live mosquito larvae, but they HATE earthworms. They like ants and flying bugs.

I think that anything your petstore gutloads would be a good treat too.

:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3 :rofl3 :rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3

I laughed so hard when I read this! My mom is over visiting and she wanted to know why I was dying laughing. I could barely even talk to read it to her because I was laughing way too hard. You nearly made my poor mom fall off her chair laughing so hard! :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I read it as fattening but looking at it now I do see how you seen it as farting. Now I made myself laugh again! :tomuch:

Bought some waxworms and small mealworms today! At first, the fish didn't really know what to do with them. After they realized how YUMMY the worms were, though, they begged harder than I have ever seen them beg for MORE!!

I'd say their treat day was a success :) Little piggies....

Where did you buy them?

Where did you buy them?

I bought them at Petsmart

This is very interesting! I am never sure what's safe and what's not, so it's nice to have something of a list here.

Is West Nile Virus a concern with mosquito larvae? I live near the slough in Watsonville and most of the WNV reports in California (though few) are from my area. However, I am not sure if the virus is passed to larvae, or if it affects fish.

I have heard tubifex worms can carry diseases and shouldn't be fed to fish; is that true?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is completely new to me!

Edited by *Amanda*

I have gave my oscars super worms. They liked them :) idk about the goldfish though.

This is very interesting! I am never sure what's safe and what's not, so it's nice to have something of a list here. Is West Nile Virus a concern with mosquito larvae? I live near the slough in Watsonville and most of the WNV reports in California (though few) are from my area. However, I am not sure if the virus is passed to larvae, or if it affects fish. I have heard tubifex worms can carry diseases and shouldn't be fed to fish; is that true? Sorry for all the questions, but this is completely new to me!

Although west Nile is known to affect birds, there isn't any evidence that it affects fish, cats, or dogs for that matter. :)

Try digging up an ant nest and separate the insects from the dirt. I froze mine and my goldfish LOVE them!

This is by far the most interesting thing I've ever read. You feed your fish bugs? ! ****It's a whole to world. ..****

I put a piece of meat on land and wait small ants to gather then feed them to my fish its really looks delicious .

i am not really sure that feeding your fish ants is a good idea.. waiting on feeding experts to share their thoughts :)

Why not just hatch some brineshrimp? I have tried to get some daphnia culture going some time ago and thought about feeding earthworms since ive read these are very nutricious and easy to get in my yard. But simply hatching some BBS seems the easiest and savest way to feed life foods to me at least. The adults enjoy the tiny critters just as much by the way!

I would personally not feed storebought life food for fish, i had many bacterial related problems when feeding those.

Ants are nutritious and chocolate covered ants are supposedly quite tasty.  I've tossed some ants to my fish and they weren't interested.  Some of them might have grabbed a fire ant and got their mouths stung.  Ant pupae would probably work, but that's a lot of work for a little food.  

I get lots of mosquito larvae  in the tubs where I set my potted plants, but collecting them is hard. I do collect grubs when I dig in the dirt.  the fish love them.

My worm farm is now populated to the point that my fish get them for treats.  A fish comes near a worm and the worm vanishes.  It's so fast I can't even see it go in.

Edited by shakaho

This thread really took off while I wasn't looking! Thanks for all the input :) I'll probably try and get some earthworms when the weather warms up, but for now I'm sticking to the usual food...repashy!