Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

Water change and prazi done. The little dud from last night didn't make it, so now at 17. I for sure won't take any more from the parents' tank if I see any, because I think the size difference would be too much now. The bigger ones look green on top, and I can see some of their eyes have a pupil instead of just being black. Hmm, will that mean they're metallic?

:lol2 Looks like it, Grandma. :rofl

Let them eat. :idont

:lol2 Looks like it, Grandma. :rofl

Let them eat. :idont

Yeah, there's just no way... I hope they see them before they hatch though.

They did get the eggs, and I'm glad. There's no way I could keep rescuing them all. I dumped the filter tonight and didn't let myself look. Sad in a way, but just have to be realistic. :)

I'm sure I see tiny dorsals starting, and maybe the lower fins too! Their tails just kill me, tiny little things, so cute. :wub: New video tomorrow!

Aaaahhhhh!!! Getting so big! :flex: I love watching them eat the bbs. :rofl Makes me want more fry. :teehee

Aaaahhhhh!!! Getting so big! :flex: I love watching them eat the bbs. :rofl Makes me want more fry. :teehee

I never get tired of watching them, it's so neat. :)

They are great to watch. Nothing like a belly full of BBS :Scoff:

They are great to watch. Nothing like a belly full of BBS :Scoff:

I know! I can't believe how big their bellies are, they're all belly!

They look like they have nice form also. I have a few that grew up to look like a mess :teehee they should have been culled, but i couldn't bring myself to do it.

They look like they have nice form also. I have a few that grew up to look like a mess :teehee they should have been culled, but i couldn't bring myself to do it.

Thanks. I'm really thankful for it, because I know I would struggle with it myself. Just pouring the water out of the parents' filter last night, I had to say "Don't look, don't look..." I think I read it should be done around the 2 week mark, so this weekend I guess I need to really scrutinize each one. Aside from whatever Chelsea was looking for with swimbladder though, they look ok to me so far. :idont

I don't remember - when does the sponge filter go in? Not wanting to rush it at all and risk any losses, just curious.

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Thanks. I'm really thankful for it, because I know I would struggle with it myself. Just pouring the water out of the parents' filter last night, I had to say "Don't look, don't look..." I think I read it should be done around the 2 week mark, so this weekend I guess I need to really scrutinize each one. Aside from whatever Chelsea was looking for with swimbladder though, they look ok to me so far. :idont

I don't remember - when does the sponge filter go in? Not wanting to rush it at all and risk any losses, just curious.

I cannot answer that as I never had a filter on my tank. I just changed the water every day or two.

I did put an airstone in the first week :peeka but kept it on really, really low

That's what I did. An airstone and prazi at one week. Then I just slooowly increased the amount of aeration as he could handle it. Then I put him in the 20 long with an AC 70 for his first filtered experience. :yikes

:rofl He was pretty big by then though. :lol2

That's what I did. An airstone and prazi at one week. Then I just slooowly increased the amount of aeration as he could handle it. Then I put him in the 20 long with an AC 70 for his first filtered experience. :yikes

:rofl He was pretty big by then though. :lol2

Wow! :) Thinking ahead, I will probably move the parents into the 60 (and put the divider in that tank) so the fry can have the 29 gallon when they get big enough. I think I read at 4cm they could have 4" of water, then 5:5, 6:6... I'm hoping I can hold out that long. :rofl

I don't think I waited that long. Waldo went into the main tank (75 gallon) at 12 weeks weighing 6.6 g. :idont

I put mine in the main tank at around 8 weeks. I was forced to because I cracked my tank at night during a water change. I lost 2 of my 8, one to the filter, and one just disappeared. It was the runt so it may have been eaten. :idont

omg! That teeny little fry is sooo cute!!!

I don't think I ever said congrats! So... Congrats! :pease:

Good luck with them! I would love a second go with fry, so yes I am pretty jealous. :whistle

Good luck with them! I would love a second go with fry, so yes I am pretty jealous. :whistle

Thank you :) I totally understand your anxiety about putting the babies in the big tank now - a lot of care goes into raising them!

What am I going to do with 17 fish that I love? :blink:

Thank you :) I totally understand your anxiety about putting the babies in the big tank now - a lot of care goes into raising them!

What am I going to do with 17 fish that I love? :blink:

:rofl It gives you the First Child Crazies all over again!

All 17 in the bucket tonight so I could wipe out the tank. :)

IMG_7499_zpse2d19fd6.jpg?t=1409803613

I tried to take a picture of each one in the cup while transferring them, but some pics didn't turn out as well and I think I missed one, so I won't post them all. They all have double tails, but I can't tell yet if they are split right or not. I went to the library Wednesday to see if I could get Goldfish Breeding and Genetics by Smartt & Bundell. They said it's not in our library system anywhere, but they'd try to see if they could get it in. I hope so, and soon!

IMG_7486_zps4277f51c.jpg?t=1409804429

IMG_7483_zpsec4bbf5a.jpg?t=1409804661

IMG_7480_zps66f9838b.jpg?t=1409890946

IMG_7493_zps56904f4a.jpg

And a video just for fun. :)

Still doing well. :) The bigger ones are a little lighter color, which is neat. Also, the pelvic and anal fins are now visible (in addition to the tail and dorsal of course), but i can't see yet if they are double. i'm curious what age the eyes should start looking different if they get the tele eyes - maybe it's way too soon, I have no idea! :)

And Yay! :happydance One of them ate a bite of the Spawn & Grow I just put in!

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Some of the tails are looking different from each other, but I can't tell if it's because the fish are also different sizes or not. So interesting to watch them changing! I think I may be wrong about them all being double tails. None of them have a vertical single tail like I think of a single tail being, but it looks like some of them are fused. So a horizontal single tail if that makes sense. All the backs look straight from the top, but a couple have a tiny sway from the side view. I'm not doing any culling right now, and may not, just have too see.

Last night's video, much easier for me to get clear shots than pictures. :)