Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

Does this make me the granddad on the fathers side lol.

Yes! :) I am soo curious what they're going to look like! I'm really glad it was him and not my fantail, fingers crossed for some cute tele babies! You don't happen to know what his parents looked like, do you? :whistle

Repashy Spawn & Grow just got here

I was told he came from a breeder of butterfly tail teles so I assume a lot like him lol. No guarantee on color though. Lol

Is it ok if I turn the hood lights on? :idont I had the cord disconnected for storage, so I haven't pulled it out yet, I'm just thinking it would be much easier to see them, as long as it wouldn't be too bright for them.

Is it ok if I turn the hood lights on? :idont I had the cord disconnected for storage, so I haven't pulled it out yet, I'm just thinking it would be much easier to see them, as long as it wouldn't be too bright for them.

It should be fine:)

It should be fine:)

Thanks!

My bbs from this morning are still alive - is there any reason I need to remove them all, or can I just take out the ones that leave with the wc? I guess I need to scale back how much I make since I have so few fry!

ETA: Thinking out loud above To get them all out would mean moving the babies out entirely, which I can't handle right now. :)

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

Try to get any of the ones on the bottom of the tank. If they are still bouncing around in the water column, leave them. :rofl

Try making bbs for one. :doh11:

:tomuch: True! The whole hatchery... what a pampered little guy that was! :D

And I kept 2 going for months like you're doing. :o

Hmm... so I don't really need to add the ones I made for tonight then do I? Can I get by with once a day - or should I really just focus on two smaller batches.

And I kept 2 going for months like you're doing. :o

Very no.

:rofl

But really... I can switch to prepared foods before then... right?...

Yep, you can. I'll have to look back and see how long I actually fed live bbs. It's kind of like breastfeeding . . . it seemed at the time it had been 4 years but it certainly wasn't nearly that long. :rofl3 Waldo just wasn't "getting" that other stuff I put in there was food. :rofl He thought food bounced around in front of him all day. He was too lazy to look on the bottom. :rofl2

:D I see! So you kind of gradually switch over, and they're still getting what they need while learning the new way...

I think you should name Finley and Franklin's First Fry "Al" ...short for "alliteration" :rofl

Edited by jmetzger72

I think you should name Finley and Franklin's First Fry "Al" ...short for "alliteration" :rofl

And then it will end up being a girl. :rofl

"Alli" works, too :rofl

"Alli" works, too :rofl

Done :D

Gee they are MUCH smaller than I imagined especially in scale with the dime (Never seen Goldfish fry in person) They look like dots with a stick tail :lol3

Sending micro hugs to the babies :hug

Gee they are MUCH smaller than I imagined especially in scale with the dime (Never seen Goldfish fry in person) They look like dots with a stick tail :lol3

Sending micro hugs to the babies :hug

Aw thank you! :D They really are tiny -

and I just found 3 more. :o I'm wondering if there's any problem with having different ages together. The ones I just found are smaller. I know there's one more in there that I couldn't get (and probably more), but I'm thinking I need to stop. I had to turn the lights off.

I'm seriously nervous about the water changing. I decided I'd rather do 50% on the 29 every day and use that water than risk a temp or pH mismatch and lose the fry.

Not much new to report, swimming and eating. :) It is so cool to see them open their mouths! I have seen a couple of them spit a bbs back out though, any ideas why that would be? :idont

Here's a pic I took the other day of one of the smaller bunch, trying desperately to get it to focus on what my vivid imagination sees as pectoral fins. :teehee

CAM00033_zps6776cf13.jpg

I found one more little guy free in the parents' tank last night, and have lost a couple of the smaller ones to crooked backs, so the head count is still around 14.

Pic from today

IMG_7336-Copy_zps90971f66.jpg

And a short video :)

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

At about one week Waldo was spitting his BBS out a lot. That's when I did one round of prazi. :hmm

:o Prazi time then? I have both the powder and liquid - did I read I should use the powder for babies?

And who wants to help me with the math on 3" of water in a 10 gallon? :D

You know, I don't know if there's anything to it, but besides my batch of fry here, I have come across a couple of other threads where people found already hatched fry in a tank that they were treating with prazi. Just interesting.

I used Prazi pro for exactly that reason. The amount of powdered Prazi I would have needed for 3 gallons was waaaay too small for my scale to measure. As long as you have an airstone running you should be good. :)

I used Prazi pro for exactly that reason. The amount of powdered Prazi I would have needed for 3 gallons was waaaay too small for my scale to measure. As long as you have an airstone running you should be good. :)

Oh, I should ask - did you add the Prazi Pro back each day with the wc, or do you drop to the wc for the normal prazi schedule?

I continued my daily WCs replacing the prazi I took out. So basically I added prazi for 4 days then prazied again about a month later. :D

I also used Prazi Pro with no problems at about 3 weeks.

I continued my daily WCs replacing the prazi I took out. So basically I added prazi for 4 days then prazied again about a month later. :D

I also used Prazi Pro with no problems at about 3 weeks.

Thank you so much! I'm nervous about this step.

I scooped them out with a cup tonight to start really fresh (still using water from the parents' tank). I wanted to get all the eggshells out I had missed over the last few days. I also have an official head count now - 18! One looks like a dud, but it's one of the smaller ones I found more recently, so maybe I'm just comparing it to the bigger ones. Their tails are awesome looking! :heart: So cute.

Using this calculator for my water volume. The bottle says 1 tsp / 20 gallons, so with water 10x20x3, the site gives me 2.5 gallons = 1/8 tsp.

Off to prazi and move them back!