Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Finley & Franklin's First Fry

Finley and Franklin have fry - I'm beyond excited! There's been plenty of chasing lately, but since I took out their plants during prazi, I guess the eggs have just been hiding in the white sand. :o

This video is of the first one I found tonight shortly after a water change, and I have taken six out so far. They each swim a little and then go to the side of the glass. I can't get a clear picture with my camera, but the video came out ok. :) Sorry for all the moving around, I was trying to make sure it was ok... :blush:

Yay! :clapping: Congrats! I hope everything goes OK :goodluck

Good luck!!! :D

Oh my, that is exciting!!!!!

Thanks everyone! :D

I'm so excited, but now I'm getting scared too - I don't know what I'm doing! I'm hoping some people with experience see this and are available for some extensive hand holding, er, I mean mentoring! :teehee

Right now they're in the 10 gallon with about 3" of water from the 29 gallon - which is at .1% salt because I've been doing prazi, is that ok?

Should I get the airstone going, or is it too soon? I read something about if they can't break the surface tension they won't be able to get air for their swim bladder (I think?)

Do I need to run out for bbs & a sponge filter today, or is there time to have it 2 day shipped since I have a little bit of algae? I also have Hikari Lionhead I could crush...

:help:

Grats Kathleen! I had mine in a 5g tank with an airstone on very low just to disturb the surface a bit. I put a plant from my main tank in there to give them some algae to pick at. I kept the water level vey low for the first few weeks. I fed them Hikari first bites and frozen BBS. They are available at petsmart. Once they were a week or 2 old, I occasionally crushed a NLS Thera A pellet and put that in there also. I never put a filter in with mine, i just did a water change every day or every other day. Hopefully someone else can speak about the salt and Prazi. I prazi'd mine at about 3-4 weeks old.

Good luck with them!!

Thank you so much, I'll move a plant over and get the airstone going!

My husband has some of this in the freezer already for his fish, do you think I could use it? I would absolutely love not setting up a hatchery...

10965114.jpg

They're really tiny! Congratulations!

I can't offer much help, as I didn't realize I had fry until they were larger than a dime. :rofl3

My husband has some of this in the freezer already for his fish, do you think I could use it? I would absolutely love not setting up a hatchery...

10965114.jpg

I would get some frozen baby brine shrimp. I think these will be too big. I used these:

042055323000-BioPureFrozen-BabyBrineShri

smiley_squee_zps5cdc5b2f.gif

^^ this :teehee

:Congrats:

:clapping:

Thank you!

Also, with just a few fry like you have and I had, I would just hold thge cube in the water for a few seconds so that some could fall off the cube and then put the rest of the cube back in the freezer. There are a ton of those BBS in each little cube. So, I would get at lest 2-3 feedings out of a cube.

Thank you!

Also, with just a few fry like you have and I had, I would just hold thge cube in the water for a few seconds so that some could fall off the cube and then put the rest of the cube back in the freezer. There are a ton of those BBS in each little cube. So, I would get at lest 2-3 feedings out of a cube.

Ok, thanks!

Aaaadorable! :wub:

Thank you!

Could also put tap water in a cup, put the cube in until a few fall off the cube, drop those in, then put the cup in the freezer. :teehee

:rockon

You should be getting a little green egg in your signature soon. :lol2

:rockon

You should be getting a little green egg in your signature soon. :lol2

Yeah baby! :tbanana

Called all over the place this morning, and no one has either the frozen bbs or eggs until Wednesday. I guess I will have Amazon hurry them here and keep my fingers crossed that the algae tides them over. Makes me really nervous, but I guess it is what it is...

I'd try cutting up the brine shrimp you have now with a razor but I'm also quite a stubborn butt. :peeka

I'd try cutting up the brine shrimp you have now with a razor but I'm also quite a stubborn butt. :peeka

Great idea - I have to at least try!

Does anyone know, should I put that in today or wait? I'm not sure if they're considered free swimming just because they can? They mostly stay in one spot, with occasional swimming...

At this point I think they are almost ready for food. You could test to see though by adding a little bit.

However, I would not add an air stone just yet. They are too tiny and could be damaged by the current. Wait until they are two weeks old. By then they have gotten the hang of the swimming thing and are developing or have developed their tails.

E. to add: daily WCs using airline tubing are a must between now and then!

I would try the baby brine shrimp over their bigger cousins, because adult brine shrimp do not have as much nutritional value at all. Those baby egg sacs on the shrimp are what you need, not just the shrimp itself.

Edited by ChelseaM

At this point I think they are almost ready for food. You could test to see though by adding a little bit.

However, I would not add an air stone just yet. They are too tiny and could be damaged by the current. Wait until they are two weeks old. By then they have gotten the hang of the swimming thing and are developing or have developed their tails.

E. to add: daily WCs using airline tubing are a must between now and then!

I would try the baby brine shrimp over their bigger cousins, because adult brine shrimp do not have as much nutritional value at all. Those baby egg sacs on the shrimp are what you need, not just the shrimp itself.

This is great info, thank you!