Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Preparation for Spawning

I am curious about what you all do to incite spawning, if anything. I understand that spawning is normally precipitated by a rise in temperature and an abundance of food, particularly high-protein foods such as bloodworms or Repashy Spawn & Grow (which I just bought). What I'm not clear on is how much and for how long. I have 3 females and 1 male.

I normally keep my tank at 72F. The tank would never drop below about 60-65F even if I removed the heater - I live in coastal California where the climate is temperate; it never gets very hot or very cold and we don't really have seasonal changes like many other areas do. If I were to turn off the heater (for how long?) and then turn it back on, what temp should I raise it to? Should it be incremental, say, a couple of degrees every other day until the target temp has been reached?

And with regard to feedings, if I am normally feeding about 2% of body weight per day, would I increase that by 50%? 100%? Or should I lower it to 1% per day while the heater is off and then ramp it up to 2% or 3%? I feed Soilent Green in the morning and pellets in the afternoon and evening (either Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish, NLS Thera-A or Pro Gold). Would I replace one of the pellet feedings with a high-protein food?

I was planning on floating anacharis or something - any other suggestions? I'm afraid to try water lettuce again, after the nightmare I just went through with the roots getting everywhere and messing up my filter.

Am I missing anything else? Sorry for all the questions; I just want to finally get it right! The last time I had fry (over a year ago), I was wholly unprepared and none of the ~17 made it. I had ~8 eggs about 6 weeks ago, but none hatched - either the goldfish crushed them before I moved them to the 10 gal, or the lack of a heater the first few days caused problems. I've also read about hand spawning, but I'd be afraid to harm my fish - plus, I don't have tank space available for the amount of fry I read hand spawning produces!

Thanks in advance!

Amanda

My guys have seriously spawned every week since spring. Always a day or two after my WC's. The temps don't swing too much. In the spring I was feeding a mixof different pellets, but for a last couple months I have been feeding repashy Soilent & super green (with a dash of meat pie in for good measure). I don't try to entice them to do this... it just happens! I know this isn't super helpful... thought i would throw in my 2 cents though. Good luck!

I've also read about hand spawning, but I'd be afraid to harm my fish - plus, I don't have tank space available for the amount of fry I read hand spawning produces!

I am obviously by no means a pro...but literally the first time I hand spawned my tele was by just picking her up to move her into a container because she was being chased so much. The boys seem to require a little more direct pressure... but my gir, at least super easy to get to release eggs.

Since goldfish react to temperature and barometric pressure changes, I usually wait to drop the temperature to around 60F until a couple days before a rain storm, then do a huge WC the day before it storms. It helped my fish to start spawning... then they didn't stop.

You already got some great info from Thoughts and Chelsea.

Feeding the spawn and grow and bloodworms defiantly will help.

Ask any questions you'd like! It's a great way to get knowlage from other members ;)

Edited by Moucho+Moncho

It doesn't take much to stimulate spawning in goldfish. The simplest procedure is to move the pair you want to mate to a new tank. A change in environment stimulates spawning ( "OMG, something changed. We're going to die! Better make some babies.") Putting them outdoors may add a stimulus. Make sure you have spawning mops in place so you can recover some eggs.

Since goldfish react to temperature and barometric pressure changes, I usually wait to drop the temperature to around 60F until a couple days before a rain storm, then do a huge WC the day before it storms. It helped my fish to start spawning... then they didn't stop.

Sounds good! I'll have to start watching the weather reports. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't rain much around here, and we hardly ever have what would be considered a storm. (California is having a major drought right now.) When it rains as it did last week, it's light and only for a few hours. Would this be significant, in your opinion?

It doesn't take much to stimulate spawning in goldfish. The simplest procedure is to move the pair you want to mate to a new tank. A change in environment stimulates spawning ( "OMG, something changed. We're going to die! Better make some babies.") Putting them outdoors may add a stimulus. Make sure you have spawning mops in place so you can recover some eggs.

Thanks Sharon. I have a 10 gallon I can move them to, and can even put it outside on my patio if that will help. I will try again to make a spawning mop. I was expecting my goldfish to spawn within a week of the last spawning per what I read on here and what I saw last year with Mario's fish, but they never did. I made a spawning mop out of filter bags. Unfortunately, nothing happened, and the mop just got really gross and was difficult to keep in place (I weighed it down with some gravel). I eventually took it out of the tank and tossed it. :(

Is there a better material you recommend for making spawning mops?

Most people use yarn.

Sounds good! I'll have to start watching the weather reports. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't rain much around here, and we hardly ever have what would be considered a storm. (California is having a major drought right now.) When it rains as it did last week, it's light and only for a few hours. Would this be significant, in your opinion?

I think it would be fine. Any rain changes the pressure.

Another alternative spawning mop would be water lettuce roots. :)