Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ActiasAmy

Omega One vs. NLS Thera-A: Need your experience

Lemonhead party, yo! :nana :nana :nana

I'm trying to download the vid from last night but I'm having trouble (as usual) :rolleyes:

This is my chu I got from Petco. Her name is moon :) she's gotten to be quite the Lemonhead :rofl she was just pure white when I got her. 9311E1F0-2AE9-4E49-83EA-C7E908C88F77_zps

She's lovely, that white has a lot of depth of colour/iridescence as well as the crazy lemonhead, my gosh!

I feed saki hikari purple, NLS, lionhead, repashy, and FBW.

And see! NLS and/or Repashy (soilent green/super green) seem to be present in the diet of a LOT of lemonheads with the vibrancy of yours and the others. Thanks so much for chiming in, this pattern is really neat :)

Lemonhead party, yo! :nana :nana :nana

Oh I'm so happy it went there lol

I'm trying to download the vid from last night but I'm having trouble (as usual) :rolleyes:

Yay! Not the troubles but that the video is coming :) I'm pumped!

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* and I have repashy super green to add coming this week. I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration. I have however seen white petsmart fish be fed a good diet and "become" lemonheads. Could it be diet that plays a big part in this as well as genetics? I've noticed matte white goes very very yellow with NLS

As Chelsea stated, I've seen a few photos of fish with vibrant bright pure yellow, and assumed NLS (or super green?) Must be a diet component. It's been stated here before that veggie diet affects colour. Is Thera-A special in this way, ie - higher spirulina amount? Does garlic affect colour? I've heard good things about its effects but nothing specific :)

Just some trends I've caught in passing that I'm interested in :shrug

Osiris was entirely white, black and blue when I got him. Since adding spirulina algae tabs to his diet his wen turned yellow and he's developed orange spots. For some reason his wen has become paler as of late, but his diet has been in flux lately as I try new foods.

Really? That's excellent! I don't think I've seen his baby pictures before I never would have suspected, his red/orange is so deep now.

For you I wonder if it's the Repashy/Veg/Spirulina aspect of the diet. Most pet store fish aren't getting more than an average quality comprehensive pellet, most Kokos fish are on a much better diet, and the overall colour improves after purchase. I'm always amazed at how much good variety of fresh food your herd gets. They're beautiful!

Edit: Or the Hikari too. It's been praised by breeders for improving red, and bemoaned by others for causing the red to "spread/ leech" into whites. I feel like this matters most for TVR or Koi breeders going for certain shapes in a pattern.

Edited by ActiasAmy

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* and I have repashy super green to add coming this week. I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration. I have however seen white petsmart fish be fed a good diet and "become" lemonheads. Could it be diet that plays a big part in this as well as genetics? I've noticed matte white goes very very yellow with NLS

As Chelsea stated, I've seen a few photos of fish with vibrant bright pure yellow, and assumed NLS (or super green?) Must be a diet component. It's been stated here before that veggie diet affects colour. Is Thera-A special in this way, ie - higher spirulina amount? Does garlic affect colour? I've heard good things about its effects but nothing specific :)

Osiris was entirely white, black and blue when I got him. Since adding spirulina algae tabs to his diet his wen turned yellow and he's developed orange spots. For some reason his wen has become paler as of late, but his diet has been in flux lately as I try new foods.

Really? That's excellent! I don't think I've seen his baby pictures before I never would have suspected, his red/orange is so deep now.

For you I wonder if it's the Repashy/Veg/Spirulina aspect of the diet. Most pet store fish aren't getting more than an average quality comprehensive pellet, most Kokos fish are on a much better diet, and the overall colour improves after purchase. I'm always amazed at how much good variety of fresh food your herd gets. They're beautiful!

Edit: Or the Hikari too. It's been praised by breeders for improving red, and bemoaned by others for causing the red to "spread/ leech" into whites. I feel like this matters most for TVR or Koi breeders going for certain shapes in a pattern.

When I first got him I was out of algae tablets, so he was just on Omega One and fresh veg. It wasn't until I picked up the algae tabs a few weeks later that he started to get the oranges and reds. It was after that that I picked up the Repashy Soilent Green and some time later again when I got the Hikari Lionhead (he was getting a wee bit floaty on the Omaga One)..

Here's a before and after:

Fish4_zps7389f1a2.jpg

Not long after I first got him. Here he is with Peaches and the Aten. I'd forgotten he had that one orange patch on his gill cover.

Tank_zps605c56e6.jpg

This is the best picture I have of his other side. He's at the very right hand side of the tank.

IMG_27221_zpsc67d6fdf.jpg

One of his more recent shots.

Edited by BronwynH

He's precious. :wub:

When I first got him I was out of algae tablets, so he was just on Omega One and fresh veg. It wasn't until I picked up the algae tabs a few weeks later that he started to get the oranges and reds. It was after that that I picked up the Repashy Soilent Green and some time later again when I got the Hikari Lionhead (he was getting a wee bit floaty on the Omaga One)..

Here's a before and after:

Fish4_zps7389f1a2.jpg

Not long after I first got him. Here he is with Peaches and the Aten. I'd forgotten he had that one orange patch on his gill cover.

Tank_zps605c56e6.jpg

This is the best picture I have of his other side. He's at the very right hand side of the tank.

IMG_27221_zpsc67d6fdf.jpg

One of his more recent shots.

Thanks! Is he ever pretty!

Glad you added your observations to the thread, I've never seen this kind of change in a Calico before! Super neat

I can't down load the vid :wall:madrant:tantrum:cry

I can't down load the vid :wall:madrant:tantrum:cry

Awwe that's no good but I appreciate you trying! Edited by ActiasAmy

I have no experience with Omega One, but I agree with Cat and Chelsea that feeding a variety is really good. I feed NLS, Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish and Pro Gold. I also feed Soilent Green for gel food. This mix has been working very well for me.

Oh, and I also agree about the Rain Garden fish color! I have a veiltail from Steve and she is so vibrant and beautiful, it's amazing. :)