Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ActiasAmy

Omega One vs. NLS Thera-A: Need your experience

Here he is at 5 grams :teehee

IMG_20140308_153720_820.jpg

[ Then after a little spoiling ]IMG_20140409_222925_873.jpg[/url]

Edited by jmetzger72

I've used the Omega One and just the NLP with out the thera+ in the past. Over a year and a half ago. One of those I believe made my Red Cap have this yellowish stain on part of his white body. I didn't particularly like this.

Go forward in time now. I recently purchased a yellow lemonhead from Cynthia just a few/couple months ago. She highly recommends the NLS thera +. It also has garlic in it which is good for fish. I also believe she had said it's not harsh for them, easy to digest. I purchased it also because I wanted him to be on the same food as what Cynthia was feeding the little guy. My other two fish are eating it now also. Once my Jersey Boy gets bigger I'll probably introduce him to my Hikari Lionhead pellets that I have to finish it up. I don't want him eating these yet for they are much bigger then the NLP. But once those are all gone I most likely will only be feeding my fish the NLP thera+ along with frozen blood worms. I haven't decided if I want to feed them the Omega One again.

All of Jared's goldies turn beastly :teehee:bighug

He gives them steroids :flex:

That's funny but so true. Your fish Jared are gorgeous.

In the two months or so I've had Jersey he has grown 1/4 inch in total length. His body has filled out also along with his face not being as pointy. I think I might be seeing some wen growth also. It's hard to tell because he's so yellow in the face and wen. Dexter (blue oranda) has grown 2 inches in length in the ten months I've had him from R.G.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Here he is at 5 grams :teehee

IMG_20140308_153720_820.jpg

[ Then after a little spoiling ]IMG_20140409_222925_873.jpg[/url]

Fantastic! I second the theory that you have a magic ingredient! His face broadened quite a bit with age too, which I'm hoping for Sunny.

I just placed my NLS Thera-A order with my LFS, but it won't arrive until October. I'm not too concerned though because from what I understand Cynthia does send enough that I can do a partial mix with omega one until then.

I recommend Hikari Lionhead as well for wen growth.

In the two months or so I've had Jersey he has grown 1/4 inch in total length. His body has filled out also along with his face not being as pointy. I think I might be seeing some wen growth also. It's hard to tell because he's so yellow in the face and wen. Dexter (blue oranda) has grown 2 inches in length in the ten months I've had him from R.G.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to give me the history as well, it's extremely interesting to me, and I love identifying trends that was a huge help!

Chuck in some baby and now pics if you have them! DO and ECR produce some great fish and I'd love to see them :) It's nice to have so many experienced keepers chiming in.

I recommend Hikari Lionhead as well for wen growth.

My LFS can order that as well but considering the pellet size (and my budget) I think I'll wait until my 3 are a bit bigger (all under 3.5" tl). The ECR fish are 3.75" tl and 4.25"tl respectively so I'll see how they all do together and decide when to order that way. I think my LFS can get Hikari faster than NLS, as they come from different suppliers.

Great topic!

So would the opposite be true, if we want to avoid yellowing, to avoid the NLS? :idont

Or any with color enhancers.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to give me the history as well, it's extremely interesting to me, and I love identifying trends that was a huge help!

Chuck in some baby and now pics if you have them! DO and ECR produce some great fish and I'd love to see them :) It's nice to have so many experienced keepers chiming in.

I'll have to get back to you on the photo's for they are on my other laptop. Dexter was already big at 6 inches total but is now 8. My little Jersey boy was 4 inches and is now a wooping 4 1/4 total for which I'm thrilled about. He's my little cutie.

You definitely could do both. Goldfish seem to benefit from "the spice of life." :teehee

Personally, since I had to give up FBW for my fish for now, I have switched them to the Thera+A. Even after a few days of feeding, their color has almost completely changed back to lemon from a strong yellow-orange they developed on Super Green and FBW. Also, with the Thera+A, you can get the teeny tiny pellet size to help with good digestion. :) I also really like the garlic in Thera+A, as garlic offers lots of health benefits in itself.

I was specifically wondering about your fish, as they are some of the brightest and most consistent yellows I've seen, at least in the parent videos and your display.

I know you're busy getting ready for school but if you had any before NLS (the orangey colour you mentioned) and after you switched to NLS recently I'm sure we'd all appreciate the example and love to gush.

I'm really trying to refine my grooming with a big focus on diet and water quality to get colours and growth to my specific tastes. I appear to have very particular preferences :P

Chelsea's fish were bred to be that bright, she just keeps them beautiful. :teehee

Edited by Chai

I'll have to get back to you on the photo's for they are on my other laptop. Dexter was already big at 6 inches total but is now 8. My little Jersey boy was 4 inches and is now a wooping 4 1/4 total for which I'm thrilled about. He's my little cutie.

Thank you! I'm on tapatalk myself so I hear ya. That sounds like a ton of growth, you must be thrilled :)

I can already tell some of mine are going to grow faster than others but I expect two of them experienced large growth spurts immediately upon being added to my tank due to a quick catch up from being slightly stunted (the growth spurts leveled out once their proportions seemed more "normal").

Great topic!

So would the opposite be true, if we want to avoid yellowing, to avoid the NLS? :idont

This was part of the reason I started this thread, I'd heard some keepers preferred omega one over NLS because it preserved their whites better (they didn't see the "yellowing" effect to the same degree on Omega one) where as I dig the yellowing.

Or any with color enhancers.

What Jared said. I hear colour enhancing foods might damage the depth of black in my black thai ranchu as well, but his is very deep and I wouldn't be heartbroken if he gained some belly or scale colour.

Edited by ActiasAmy

Chelsea's fish were bred to be that bright, she just keeps them beautiful. :teehee

RG does have some great stock in that colour don't they? I was intrigued to hear more about the alterations in hue she'd said she'd noticed.

I'm lucky in this regard as well, the fish I selected have the colour I want it'll just be maintenance for me :)

You definitely could do both. Goldfish seem to benefit from "the spice of life." :teehee

Personally, since I had to give up FBW for my fish for now, I have switched them to the Thera+A. Even after a few days of feeding, their color has almost completely changed back to lemon from a strong yellow-orange they developed on Super Green and FBW. Also, with the Thera+A, you can get the teeny tiny pellet size to help with good digestion. :) I also really like the garlic in Thera+A, as garlic offers lots of health benefits in itself.

I was specifically wondering about your fish, as they are some of the brightest and most consistent yellows I've seen, at least in the parent videos and your display.

I know you're busy getting ready for school but if you had any before NLS (the orangey colour you mentioned) and after you switched to NLS recently I'm sure we'd all appreciate the example and love to gush.

I'm really trying to refine my grooming with a big focus on diet and water quality to get colours and growth to my specific tastes. I appear to have very particular preferences :P

The difference is basically what you see between Banner and Lila in this video:

Lila had not been on the SG/FBW diet long enough to develop the deeper and more orange color that Banner has. This is the most recent example I have as of right now. (Don't worry, video will come once everyone's at school.) Since I put them both on the NLS, Banner has lost most of that orange tint. He'll likely be all yellow again within a week of me moving up north, so probably by the time I actually start school. :) That is, if he continues to change like he is.

Exactly. Although they are all different shades, they're bred so bright and sent to me that way by Steve.

Before pic of Beatrice. This was a few months after i had her

8a7a7eja.jpg

The before and after thread is a good example of how yellow her little head has become. :teehee

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46683-your-before-after-pics/page-24#entry1782602

I'm such a sucker for yellow wens. These fish are gorgeous :wub:

Edited by Chai

Before pic of Beatrice. This was a few months after i had her

8a7a7eja.jpg

Oh wow that's insane! her wen is practically neon! I can't wait to see my two in person, I doubt there will be an unboxing video. I think I might cry lol

The before and after thread is a good example of how yellow her little head has become. :teehee

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46683-your-before-after-pics/page-24#entry1782602

I'm such a sucker for yellow wens. These fish are gorgeous :wub:

Oh I've browsed that thread from beginning to end, good suggestion it's absolutely fascinating! I wish there were some details about diet/conditions but that would be a lot of work haha

Awwww! Don't cry :hug

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* and I have repashy super green to add coming this week. I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration. I have however seen white petsmart fish be fed a good diet and "become" lemonheads. Could it be diet that plays a big part in this as well as genetics? I've noticed matte white goes very very yellow with NLS

As Chelsea stated, I've seen a few photos of fish with vibrant bright pure yellow, and assumed NLS (or super green?) Must be a diet component. It's been stated here before that veggie diet affects colour. Is Thera-A special in this way, ie - higher spirulina amount? Does garlic affect colour? I've heard good things about its effects but nothing specific :)

Just some trends I've caught in passing that I'm interested in :shrug

Osiris was entirely white, black and blue when I got him. Since adding spirulina algae tabs to his diet his wen turned yellow and he's developed orange spots. For some reason his wen has become paler as of late, but his diet has been in flux lately as I try new foods.

This is my chu I got from Petco. Her name is moon :) she's gotten to be quite the Lemonhead :rofl she was just pure white when I got her. 9311E1F0-2AE9-4E49-83EA-C7E908C88F77_zps

I feed saki hikari purple, NLS, lionhead, repashy, and FBW.