ActiasAmy

Omega One vs. NLS Thera-A: Need your experience

60 posts in this topic

Hi guys;

So since joining Kokos and GFK in June I have switched my goldfish to Omega One, twice daily.

They also receive daily;

-Half cube mini FBW (San Fransisco Bay)

-A Veggie (Zucchini, a couple peas or a busted up "Wardley Spirulina Algae Disc")

I am picking up my first two quality bred fish from ECR next Wednesday and have heard Cynthia feeds NLS Thera-A. I was speaking to Alicia about Oogs and she also has been feeding some of this food as well and Oogs is lemon-ing up beautifully! All the NLS fed fish I've seen have vibrant Yellows and Reds!

I am debating if I should go through the trouble of ordering some NLS Thera-A and switching to it as my main pellet because I am in love with the vibrancy I've seen it express.

But I've also seen marked colour improvement in my red fish in just the 2 months he's been on Omega One. I've seen keepers advocate it for fish you want to have good red colour but don't want the white to tint yellow.

I'm finding it all rather confusing and would really appreciate if some of you would like to please chime in and let me know your experience with either type, and how you found it affected the colour and health of your fish. I understand both foods are high quality pellet but colour, size and growth differences I couldn't find much on.

Thank you!

-Amy

I honestly like NLS because of their ingredients, but it's a personal preference. My fish have had mixed results with their whites, however.

One of my fish has had her tail become yellow but the rest of the body remain white. The other has drastically yellowed her little "wen" (term used loosely because she's a ryukin :rofl ) to a little lemonhead but her body has also remained bright white. (I think you've seen her by now on IG ahahaha) The only down side of the NLS has been the smell, but it makes them happy!

I don't feed pellets often anymore, but Thera A is their favourite. It's also the staple pellet for my bettas and they go nuts for it too.

There's no harm in feeding both. Variety is a wonderful thing! Many of us feed several different foods. :happydance

Edited by Chai

Why not both? I feed Hikari Lionhead and Omega One. I just sort of add a half pinch of each for breakfast. (The other meals are non-pellet foods such as Repashy Soilent Green, veggies, algae tabs, FBWs etc.).

You definitely could do both. Goldfish seem to benefit from "the spice of life." :teehee

Personally, since I had to give up FBW for my fish for now, I have switched them to the Thera+A. Even after a few days of feeding, their color has almost completely changed back to lemon from a strong yellow-orange they developed on Super Green and FBW. Also, with the Thera+A, you can get the teeny tiny pellet size to help with good digestion. :) I also really like the garlic in Thera+A, as garlic offers lots of health benefits in itself.

I use both of those along with hikari lionhead. Be wild. Feed both. :rofl3

I use NLS!!!!!

I use both. :)

My white ranchu has only yellowed

on his wen. :teehee

Either way you're good. If you dont want any yellow then stick to what you've got. If you don't mind a lemonhead (or you want one!) then I'd keep both foods. :)

I use both as well :)

I did however look at the ingredients/nutrition levels of both (Omega One Goldfish Pellets) (NLS Goldfish Pellets) and NLS came up top.

Why not both? I feed Hikari Lionhead and Omega One. I just sort of add a half pinch of each for breakfast. (The other meals are non-pellet foods such as Repashy Soilent Green, veggies, algae tabs, FBWs etc.).

^^^^^ :bingo:

I mix a few different types of pellets into a container so they get the benefit of many different foods :))

I think variety is best :) I'd go ahead and order it :nana

Edited by Flipper

I use both of those along with hikari lionhead. Be wild. Feed both. :rofl3

:rockon

^^^^^ :bingo:

I mix a few different types of pellets into a container so they get the benefit of many different foods :))

I think variety is best :) I'd go ahead and order it :nana

I mix the NLS 1mm with the Omega 1mm 50/50. This gives them some variety and cuts costs a little since Omega is much cheaper than NLS. I also feed them Hikari Lionhead, Repashy Solient Green and frozen bloodworms :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* and I have repashy super green to add coming this week. I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration. I have however seen white petsmart fish be fed a good diet and "become" lemonheads. Could it be diet that plays a big part in this as well as genetics? I've noticed matte white goes very very yellow with NLS

As Chelsea stated, I've seen a few photos of fish with vibrant bright pure yellow, and assumed NLS (or super green?) Must be a diet component. It's been stated here before that veggie diet affects colour. Is Thera-A special in this way, ie - higher spirulina amount? Does garlic affect colour? I've heard good things about its effects but nothing specific :)

Just some trends I've caught in passing that I'm interested in :shrug

Edited by ActiasAmy

My food is really high in algae (NLS Algaemax) but also has NLS Thera A, so both combined might be the reason behind the yellow. :idont

Edited by Chai

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* but I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration.

As Chelsea stated, I've seen a few photos of fish with vibrant bright pure yellow, and assumed NLS (or super green?) Must be a diet component. It's been stated here before that veggie diet affects colour. Is Thera-A special in this way, ie - higher spirulina amount? Does garlic affect colour? I've heard good things about its effects but nothing specific :)

If you look at my sig, you will see Ping (who is from Petco)...he has developed a nice yellow head and tail on his current diet :)

Edited by jmetzger72

I have 2 lemon heads from Cynthia. They've kept their color for 1.5 yrs ;)

*runss to find pic*

My light has washed out her metalicness :idont but her colors are actually quite pretty and saturated :)

2avaryby.jpg

*runss to find pic*

Yes! That's exactly one of my worries! One fish is a batik scale lemonhead with some nice sunset orange edging and the other is a 1 year old lemonhead tri.

And Yay! PICTURES

Wow guys, thanks a lot! Using both seems the obvious solution now that you mention it *blush* but I'm still very interested in the colour changes effected too so if you've got any before/after shots for NLS I'd love to see them.

For example I have yet to see a lemonhead in any chain pet store, while I've seen blue, chocolate, black and some of the other more desirable and difficult to find colouration.

If you look at my sig, you will see Ping (who is from Petco)...he has developed a nice yellow head and tail on his current diet :)
I'm on tapatalk, no siggies here :( I'll log on the comp later and creep it though! :) That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about Edited by ActiasAmy

Use your mobile browser. :o

:lol2

*runss to find pic*

Yes! That's exactly one of my worries! One fish is a batik scale lemonhead with some nice sunset orange edging and the other is a 1 year old lemonhead tri.

And Yay! PICTURES

I'm on tapatalk, no siggies here :( I'll log on the comp later and creep it though!
No no no :no: in real life she has metalicness :pretty: but the photo with my aquarium light doesn't do her justice :hmm

Maybe I'll take a vid

Edited by Flipper

My light has washed out her metalicness :idont but her colors are actually quite pretty and saturated :)

2avaryby.jpg

She's stunning! What great conformation and such a pretty face! And I see the red points are holding up well too!

Thanks ;) and she has one orange eye and one yellow eye :)

*runss to find pic*

And Yay! PICTURES

I'm on tapatalk, no siggies here :( I'll log on the comp later and creep it though!
No no no :no: in real life she has metalicness :pretty: but the photo with my aquarium light doesn't do her justice :hmm

Maybe I'll take a vid

I hadn't seen the picture yet when I posted that, so don't worry, but Um like I would ever say no to a chu video?!

*runss to find pic*

And Yay! PICTURES

I'm on tapatalk, no siggies here :( I'll log on the comp later and creep it though! :) That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about

IMG_20140709_185826_734-1.jpg

Beautiful coloring, Jared :heart

Will do vid tonight in dark ;)

IMG_20140709_185826_734-1.jpg

WOW. Ya, you just sold me on NLS. That is a great looking fish, thanks for taking the time to post him. And you said he's from petco? Do you have any baby pics? He's beastly now, wah.

Beautiful coloring, Jared

Will do vid tonight in dark ;)

Woo! I'll be looking forward to it! This is a topic I've been wondering about a lot and I'm loving your info! Edited by ActiasAmy