Kokos Goldfish Forum
FredTheGoldfish

Treasure's color change (after only a month!)

And here's one with Treasure and Skippy, for comparison.

It's funny how Treasure is turning darker like Skippy, and Skippy is showing some bronze highlights like Treasure!

I wonder how common it is for goldfish in the same tank, eating the same food, to start looking like each other...

TreasureAndSkippy_zps07a27d8e.jpg

Wow she sure is changing alright! Still so very cute with this new colors ;)

So cute! :)

Adorable :heart

Wow she sure is changing alright! Still so very cute with this new colors ;)

Thanks, everyone! :) My kids are also excited to watch Treasure change colors, and to guess what colors will change next!

Treasure is continuing to surprise us--I thought she was turning more black, but instead, the black areas are disappearing and slowly turning orange! I hope that some of the black remains (especially in the fin and tail areas ), but I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

TreasureColors6_zps1fa69aba.jpg

Edited by FredTheGoldfish

Less black, more orange this week. I wonder if feeding bloodworms brings out the orange colors more?

TreasureColors8_zpsf4f845cd.jpg

Oh, wow! What a beautiful fish! :)

Oh, wow! What a beautiful fish! :)

Thank you so much! I hope Treasure keeps the little black mustache. :)

A very nice golden orange :)

Very cool!!!!!

Wow I can see why your fish is named Treasure!!

Very cool!!!!!

Wow I can see why your fish is named Treasure!!

Thanks! :D

Treasure has turned almost completely orange, with just a hint of black in the fins and tail. I'll try to post another photo update tomorrow.

For those of you who are following Treasure's color changes, it's been 2 months since my first post (when Treasure was bronze-colored). Here's an update of Treasure's color change today. There is still a hint of black along the edges of the dorsal fin and tail, and the tummy region is still more silvery-white. The black coloring seemed to appear and then disappear quickly (?) but the orange color is slowly deepening over time.

I wonder why the black showed up at all before turning orange?

TreasureColors10_zps39892b5c.jpg

Treasure is such a cutie! She looks so bright now! :nana

Yeah, it's normal for bronze/olivey coloration to darken a lot during a color change, and then diasappear--it almost looks black sometimes. My fish went through the exact same color change, she's a deep orange color now. :)

Treasure is such a cutie! She looks so bright now! :nana

Yeah, it's normal for bronze/olivey coloration to darken a lot during a color change, and then diasappear--it almost looks black sometimes. My fish went through the exact same color change, she's a deep orange color now. :)

Thanks! That is exactly what Treasure did, too!

Wow, he's gorgeous!

"She", my bad!

Thanks. :D I have no idea if Treasure is a "he" or a "she", but I'm good either way.

Well, it looks like Treasure has transformed from a baby-bronze to bright yellow-gold over about 3 months.

I think it's such a pretty color! I wonder if this color will be permanent?

Treasure11_zpsa2b66d64.jpg

I read somewhere that black in goldfish is generally a transitional colour and part of the process of creating the Orange colour. It can sometimes be stabilised with lots of light (which is what breeders do in Vietnam). It was a really interesting article about the colouration of goldfish. I'll try and dig it out.

I loved her in between stage. She is such a cute fish though. Look at that pouty face lol

Fry are born bronze for camouflage from predators. Technically it's considered black, like BBR (black baby ranchu) uncolored. As the guanine fades from the scale, it becomes dull and a darker black. As guanine returns to the scale and skin underneath with maturity, the color and luster of the scale push the dull black out. Young fish with a lot of white after there initial color change may due this several times.

Fry are born bronze for camouflage from predators. Technically it's considered black, like BBR (black baby ranchu) uncolored. As the guanine fades from the scale, it becomes dull and a darker black. As guanine returns to the scale and skin underneath with maturity, the color and luster of the scale push the dull black out. Young fish with a lot of white after there initial color change may due this several times.

That's really interesting! There's still some white on Treasure's belly, so maybe there will more color changes to come...

I read somewhere that black in goldfish is generally a transitional colour and part of the process of creating the Orange colour. It can sometimes be stabilised with lots of light (which is what breeders do in Vietnam). It was a really interesting article about the colouration of goldfish. I'll try and dig it out.

I loved her in between stage. She is such a cute fish though. Look at that pouty face lol

Yes, please let me know where you found that article!

I wish I could have stabilized some of the black color with lots of light, but I've been having so much trouble with algae growing everywhere in the tank that I've actually been limiting the amount of light to keep it down. :(

Usually stabilizing hereditary black, to keep it from fading to chocolate or blue. You can't stop genetics from taking its course, but some have learned to slow it down. Thats why getting young fish is good, you get to enjoy the transitional phases.

I made the mistake of taking my not colourchanged fry to my outdoors pond, result was they did not change colour, but the ones that had allready changed kept losing black. So basically i had 9 month old fish still in their baby/wild black colour. I have read in chinese translated text that GF 'change colour' when they want to.....

They are just losing black pigment though, or other pigments become stronger, either way is valid.

Genetics are the only true way to maintain a certain colour, fish can allmost appear to become any kind of metallic colour, but knowing what are their parents is the best guess to what their colour will be eventually.

Out of my baby coloured ranchu from orange and black parents colour changing project i got 14 orange and 1 black fish. Some of those orange ones will change to R/W later on, but just to show how orange is dominant in metallic colouration.

Light plays a big role in this, but other factors aswell. The black or baby colour is a protection against (presumably) UV light, only genetics can prevent black to occur.

To my knowledge you cannot 'stabilize' any colour, you can revert to more black or decrease it, promote red, but only genetic stabilisation can result in a pigment 'print' like a redcap we all know. This will take many generations of dedicated breeders to archieve.

I believe the article I was thinking of was Steve Hopkins article understanding colour in goldfish on the raingarden website

It's definitely very interesting

Edited by Dandelion Blue