GoldenSpoiledRotten

List of substitutes for FBW?

41 posts in this topic

Well, they didn't like the nightcrawler at all. :( They're hiding from it at the other end of the 127.

If the bloodworms thaw at all on the trip, they need to be immediately thrown out. I can't risk losing money on a big pack of those worms right now. It's just not something I am willing to risk. That's why I am looking for alternatives.

Why do you need to throw them out if they happen to thaw? As long as the stay cold? That should not be an issue. I've had people add meds to FBW, feed what they need, and then put the rest in the fridge, to use over the course of 2-3 days each time.
Last time I tried that with Elvis, they turned white by day 2 and began to smell. If enough thawed, I would only have at max that long to feed them before going rancid. I don't want to have to stuff the fish because re-freezing isn't recommended.

That's nasty. I wonder if you got bad worms to start. I have only done with this Hikari stuff, and have never had issues. :)

What about getting some dry ice?

That is how Omaha Steaks ship their frozen foods and it is had as a rock when I get it and I'm sure it has been on the road for more than 24 hours.

It is also how we transported ice cream treats to a family gathering.

Edited by lldykstra

That's nasty. I wonder if you got bad worms to start. I have only done with this Hikari stuff, and have never had issues. :)

It really is. And those were the hikari worms. :o

That is how Omaha Steaks ship their frozen foods and it is had as a rock when I get it and I'm sure it has been on the road for more than 24 hours.

Dry ice is expensive. That's a very high percentage of shipping costs.

Something was clearly off to me.

Something was clearly off to me.

Likely. I refuse to go to the LFS I got them from anymore.

While I have you, what are your thoughts on the whole protein (fbw) substitute thing? I am hesitant to switch back to pellets... I don't remember if we had the conversation about Meat Pie....

If you don't like to switch back to pellets, don't. :)

At least for the short term, the meat pie looks fine to me.

I promise that I will try to get the super secret project going ASAP, and will include you in it. BUT, you have to push me to get this going, please. :rofl

I promise that I will try to get the super secret project going ASAP, and will include you in it. BUT, you have to push me to get this going, please. :rofl

Super secret project? :o mikey wants in on this one :rofl

Super secret project? :o mikey wants in on this one :rofl

Don't try, Mikey. If you ask Chelsea, she will have to kill you before she even tells you. :o :O :o:rofl

What is it even about? :rofl I mainly want that gH secret out if you :pp

What is it even about? :rofl

It's about a super secret project that Chelsea knows about. :o:rofl

Food wise? :o

"Let's just mention this super secret project in this super public thread..."

"Yeah, no one will notice!"

:rofl

*shoving* Let's get moving then. I need your project done so I can get mine really going!!

Ugh. Winded up just getting some Thera+A 1mm. My LFS was out of Meat Pie. I will feed them that and Super Green.

I don't know if this works but of your fish are spawning and they eat the eggs aren't they getting protein from eating them?