Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

List of substitutes for FBW?

So unless I order FBW and pay an ungodly amount of shipping, I won't be able to feed that or any other frozen food to my fish in the town I go to college in this year. There are literally NO PET STORES that cater to fish in that town. This means I need to stick to 'dry' methods of getting extra good protein into their diet.

I currently am feeding Repashy Super Green + Spawn and Grow alongside my FBW, and would like to continue feeding the Super Green as it does wonders for the color in my yellow fish, as well as being almost completely nutritionally balanced for them aside from animal proteins. I am feeding the Spawn and Grow because of all of the spawning lately, but am worried it is too high in fat for them to get daily, even in a mix.

So... any ideas?

Maybe buy A TON, stick them in a cooler on your trip to college, and hope they'll last until you come home in the summer :idont Other than that, there are freeze-dried, which I'm sure you're aware are not the best for our finned friends' stomachs. I hope you find a solution! :)

I can't really comment on substitutes, although I've read hikari lionhead is an excellent source of protein. I just don't know if it's a substitute per se. I second Justin's suggestion though. I buy FBWs on sale in vast quantities. My last purchase was in February or March and I still have 3 or 4 packages in my freezer.

My FBW last a long time and I also buy in bulk. The last time I bought FBW was back in December and they are still good.

I have a 5.5 hour trip up north, not including stops, so keeping things frozen just isn't a viable option. :(

Are there any fish stores on the way? I think they could last probably 2 hours or so if insulated very well and kept with ice. If not, you could try a high protein food like Brownyn suggested. Not the best solution to your situation, but it works.

Not on our route, no. It's a straight shot on the highway and I doubt my Papa will want to stop at a pet store while we're towing a huge trailer. I doubt that past the Lower Peninsula there are really any pet stores that cater to fish.

If I have to, I can add pellets to their diet, but I really do enjoy just gel. I probably should give up and switch to something complete. :rolleyes: I don't want to scare away my roommates with Repashy in the microwave.

E.

I bought a huge pack from Petco that was supposed to last me a few months like the last one, but since I had been feeding them so heavily to supplement the SG, I am almost out now... maybe it is a sign.

Edited by ChelseaM

:rofl Didn't even think about your roommate and the repashy! That should be funny. Yeah, I think supplementing with a high-protein pellet could be the best option. Just because I'm curious, how big is the tank you're taking to college? Hopefully the roommate is accepting! :)

Wait... guys... what about nightcrawlers? I gotta wonder if they would be good.

I have 5 roommates. :rofl

It is a 40B and Jason has the other pair now, so I will have 2 fish and the occasional fry.

How big is that dorm?! I'm not sure about night crawlers, but I can imagine that if you get them from the wrong place, they could be carrying some nasty things.

Oh man, your roommates are going to be able to watch those amazing sunny fish. Jealouuuusss. :cry

It's a 3 bedroom dorm/apartment with a full kitchen and bath. Not very big at all for 6 people.

:rofl Cat, come to LSSU with me!!!

I have been doing research and the consensus is that I should use Canadian Nightcrawlers and possibly even gutload them with fish food.

I am going to try, see how it goes.

Awesome! Glad you found a solution! Is the dorm off campus?

Chelsea, I get about 10 pounds of frozen foods from Ken's Fish for about $100, including shipping.

I don't have enough room in the freezer for that, Alex! :rofl

I just can't get over paying 30 bucks for shipping. :(

I may attempt it this winter, but am too broke and nervous to do it now. Haha

No, Justin. It's on campus, or I would have my 127.

Edited by ChelseaM

You're right. Now is not a good time. I usually order when temps are consistently below 60F

Id package it up in a cooler and take it with you.

If you have enough of them and then pack them with ice around them in a cooler...not a lunch pal but a real hard shell cooler they will last you the trip.

some might thaw a little but if they remain cold they will be fine.

You might not be able to take enough to last you the whole semester but you can feed it to them occasionally and then do the other things suggested here too =]

After reading a bit, I'm seeing that the Igloo styrofoam coolers that you can buy for $5 are able to keep refrigerated food safe to eat for over 3 days. I assume that would be more than sufficient for frozen foods for 6.5 hours (5.5 plus stops, etc.) or more. I would read up a little. I just Googled "Frozen foods in cooler." The 3 day thing is what people are saying, not an Igloo endorsed statement, which is important to know. I am also seeing people say that these are what businesses ship frozen foods in, deep sea voyages (3+ days) use them, etc. I really think if you pack them tightly with ice packs (Duct tape the bloodworms and ice packs together, then stuff that in ice. Don't open!) you will be completely fine! Maybe you should contact businesses that ship FBW and see how they ship them. Hope I wasn't giving you information you were already aware of! :)

The cheap styrofoam containers are amazing. I use them when I'm going to be in the hospital for an extended stay. When I was in with my dad, we had stuff stay cold in there for quite a while. :)

I know you'll only have limited freezer space, but maybe you could keep some as an occasional treat. :)

Also, sorry if I sound stupid, but I don't get the reference to 127... :idont

Well, they didn't like the nightcrawler at all. :( They're hiding from it at the other end of the 127.

If the bloodworms thaw at all on the trip, they need to be immediately thrown out. I can't risk losing money on a big pack of those worms right now. It's just not something I am willing to risk. That's why I am looking for alternatives.

Could another member possibly ship you out some for little cost?

I'd gladly do it, but I don't have any right now.

You could start a classified?

Frozen food would cost quite a bit of money to ship, which is why places like Kensfish charge so much for it.

Frozen food would cost quite a bit of money to ship, which is why places like Kensfish charge so much for it.

Yeah. it would have to be insulated VERY well, and have a very high priority shipping type to get to her in time to still be even semi-frozen.

Well, they didn't like the nightcrawler at all. :( They're hiding from it at the other end of the 127.

If the bloodworms thaw at all on the trip, they need to be immediately thrown out. I can't risk losing money on a big pack of those worms right now. It's just not something I am willing to risk. That's why I am looking for alternatives.

Why do you need to throw them out if they happen to thaw? As long as the stay cold? That should not be an issue. I've had people add meds to FBW, feed what they need, and then put the rest in the fridge, to use over the course of 2-3 days each time.