Kokos Goldfish Forum
tithra

Seachem Safe: make the switch! :)

My pleasure! Nice to check in after being away for a while. Hope you are all doing well.

My pleasure! Nice to check in after being away for a while. Hope you are all doing well.

Hi Rob, Hope you and your fish are doing good.

Jess, Thanks for the info. That's nice to know. Where do you buy it at? I still have two new bottles of Prime still but might consider purchasing this. Chris at tastyworms doesn't sell it, right? I've been ordering from him since I've been a member here. Hate to leave him. :(

Not sure though about the Safe because I like the fact that I can just dose w/prime without the worry about mixing up the safe. It's only a couple of cents difference and I'm usually wanting to just do my w/c and not think too hard. haaha

;) I get it on amazon, I haven't seen it locally before. I just keep a little Tupperware in my tank stuff and mix it right before I dump it in. I don't find it any more difficult really. It dissolves easily. It does smell way worse than prime.

That's funny about the prime smell because I don't think nothing of it. I don't think I smell anything.

Thanks for letting me know where you get it just in case I change my mind between now and running out of my two bottles of Prime. Much appreciated.

That's funny about the prime smell because I don't think nothing of it. I don't think I smell anything.

Thanks for letting me know where you get it just in case I change my mind between now and running out of my two bottles of Prime. Much appreciated.

I never thought prime smelled either, but when I opened the safe bottle I assume it's what prime smells like to others x10

I never thought prime smelled either, but when I opened the safe bottle I assume it's what prime smells like to others x10

That's funny. X10 must smell really bad. :(

It smells like straight up rotten eggs

I die a little, every time I open the container.... :rofl3

Oh good now y'all are going to make me buy it and then I die of toxic smell :rofl3

And I think Prime smells bad! I have to hold the bottle at an arms length when I open it! I'm also glad that they simplified the directions. I've always been interested in Safe. Thanks for the awesome thread, Jess!

After a little bit of math, for a 55 gallon, Safe would be $2.60 with weekly water changes per year. Prime would be $7.80 with the same routine. Not a huge difference, but there's no reason not to save $5/year.

Oh, and for anyone using Aquasafe, that would be (for the same routine above) $83.20. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Edited by Justin

After a little bit of math, for a 55 gallon, Safe would be $2.60 with weekly water changes per year. Prime would be $7.80 with the same routine. Not a huge difference, but there's no reason not to save $5/year.

Oh, and for anyone using Aquasafe, that would be (for the same routine above) $83.20. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Show your work, please. :)

:hmm I've never heard of this Safe stuff. I'm out of the loop :peeka

I'm gonna try it :thumbs:

Show your work, please. :)

.01 (dollars per 10 gallons) x 5 (10 gallon measures per 55 gallon tank) x 52 (weeks per year) = $2.60

.03 (dollars per 10 gallons) x 5 (10 gallon measures per 55 gallon tank) x 52 (weeks per year) = $7.80

.32 (dollars per 10 gallons) x 5 (10 gallon measures per 55 gallon tank) x 52 (weeks per year) = $83.20

You math people :yikes I'm confounded!

I think I may have made a mistake if Alex wants to see my work!!! :yikes

I measure out my Safe on my scale and then as the tank fills with my python I sprinkle some over the water coming in. It dissolves easy. :idont

Nah. He couldn't figure out how to do it and wanted to copy your work. :D

This is it! :rofl :rofl

Justin, there is no question that using Safe give some amount of savings over the course of using it, especially now that Seachem has simplified their directions. I just don't think that the amount of savings is really that much, for this reason:

The regular dose of Seachem Prime is actually enough to neutralize 5ppm of chlorine and 4ppm of chloramine. This means that in normal circumstances when you know how much chlorine you have in the tap, you can stand to add much less. In this case, for me, I need only add 1/3 of the recommended amount. However, I make it a habit of adding 1/2, which is still enough to block 2.5 ppm chlorine (my tap only has 1.25 ppm chlorine max at any given time). Going by your calculations (which I haven't checked by the way), the savings is now $1/year. :rofl

I want to say that I am not discouraging anyone from using Safe. Far from it. I have quite a bit of it myself. But, seriously, you are not really saving much money, unless you having very large ponds and tanks.

Instead of using Safe or Prime, if you want to try something new/different, use Vitamin C, as Professor Shakaho has posted earlier. That's a really neat thing, and I recommend it highly. :)

Edited by dnalex

I was just going by Jess' chart, but I see how real-world usage can skew the results :)

This is it! :rofl :rofl

Justin, there is no question that using Safe give some amount of savings over the course of using it, especially now that Seachem has simplified their directions. I just don't think that the amount of savings is really that much, for this reason:

The regular dose of Seachem Prime is actually enough to neutralize 5ppm of chlorine and 4ppm of chloramine. This means that in normal circumstances when you know how much chlorine you have in the tap, you can stand to add much less. In this case, for me, I need only add 1/3 of the recommended amount. However, I make it a habit of adding 1/2, which is still enough to block 2.5 ppm chlorine (my tap only has 1.25 ppm chlorine max at any given time). Going by your calculations (which I haven't checked by the way), the savings is now $1/year. :rofl

I want to say that I am not discouraging anyone from using Safe. Far from it. I have quite a bit of it myself. But, seriously, you are not really saving much money, unless you having very large ponds and tanks.

Instead of using Safe or Prime, if you want to try something new/different, use Vitamin C, as Professor Shakaho has posted earlier. That's a really neat thing, and I recommend it highly. :)

Most people do not know how much chlorine/chloramine is in their tap though, and I would argue that most will not bother to find out and will use the normal recommended dosages on the label (heck I do). It is not necessarily a huge savings in this case, but still savings :idont

Most people do not know how much chlorine/chloramine is in their tap though, and I would argue that most will not bother to find out and will use the normal recommended dosages on the label (heck I do). It is not necessarily a huge savings in this case, but still savings :idont

I agree with you on all points. :rofl

I agree with you on all points. :rofl

Well good then :rofl

I'm a prime girl

I'm a prime girl

Things aren't always set in stone :) But I agree. Unless your tank is quite big, it really isn't worth it even if it is only a little bit more work. I like just measuring one cap and dumping.