Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
tithra

Seachem Safe: make the switch! :)

67 posts in this topic

I've known about safe for quite some time, but for some reason hesitated to make the switch. I finally did so and couldn't be happier. Safe is Primes powdered version, so it's more concentrated and thus even less expensive than Prime.

Here's a little cost breakdown I did of several popular water conditioners. Safe comes out on top in terms of cost. Price is how much it costs to treat 10 gallons.

u9uda8ut.jpg

Wow I wish we could get it in the UK it would be so much to shop though :(

You guys have prime in the uk right?

I have my bottles of Safe all set and ready to use, as soon as I am done with my gallon bottle of Prime! :rofl

I have my bottles of Safe all set and ready to use, as soon as I am done with my gallon bottle of Prime! :rofl

Lol. Why am I not surprised. Do you also have gallon tubs of safe? :P

Lol. Why am I not surprised. Do you also have gallon tubs of safe? :P

:rofl

Don't ask. I have a 1 kg bottle and a 250 gram bottle.

#notahoarder

:rofl

Safe is quite good if:

1) you know exactly why you need to add conditioner, whether that's to remove chlorine, chloramine, and/or ammonia/nitrite. Using this does require that you have a good working knowledge of which of these products you have in your water. You dose according to what you need, instead of a general dosage that Prime uses. :)

2) you don't mind mixing right when you do water changes. This may necessitate that you have a jeweler's scale so that you can go under a gram.

But you will save much, and have the advantage of only adding exactly what you need and no more. :)

Edited by dnalex

You guys have prime in the uk right?

I'm pretty sure we do but my parents only let me really order on Amazon which costs an arm and a leg for prime and that's a small bottle will just check it out again though :)

Hmmmmm :interesting: This is great info to know Thanks!

Can you elaborate more on how you dose, and how much? (For example, 1/4 tsp. per 10 gallons, or whatever) I'm also confused on 'dosing what you need.' My tap is 0/0/0 but I have no idea on its concentration of chlorine or chloramines. :blink:

Can Safe also be dosed up to 5x the original dosage, like Prime?

Sorry for all the questions. :peeka

Can you elaborate more on how you dose, and how much? (For example, 1/4 tsp. per 10 gallons, or whatever) I'm also confused on 'dosing what you need.' My tap is 0/0/0 but I have no idea on its concentration of chlorine or chloramines. :blink:

Safe is essentially Prime, and still can be given 4x the original dosage, as per the website.

I just went to the Seachem website to copy over the directions, and it appears they have simplified it further, which is a good thing. The instructions are now:

Use 100 mg Safe (scoop) per each 100 L (25 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or per 25 L (6 gallons) for ammonia.

So, if you have a 20 gallon tank, and you are just using it to do routine removal of chlorine/chloramine in the water, you would use a little less than a scoop. If you are trying to remove ammonia, you would use about 3.5 scoops. :)

I actually have the old directions on the bottle, and those actually tell you how much chlorine/chloramine/ammonia is treated with a certain amount of Safe. :)

I keep postponing ordering a ton but with weekly large changes on the pond I really need to keep a literal ton of the stuff :rofl

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Safe is essentially Prime, and still can be given 4x the original dosage, as per the website.

I just went to the Seachem website to copy over the directions, and it appears they have simplified it further, which is a good thing. The instructions are now:

Use 100 mg Safe (scoop) per each 100 L (25 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or per 25 L (6 gallons) for ammonia.

So, if you have a 20 gallon tank, and you are just using it to do routine removal of chlorine/chloramine in the water, you would use a little less than a scoop. If you are trying to remove ammonia, you would use about 3.5 scoops. :)

I actually have the old directions on the bottle, and those actually tell you how much chlorine/chloramine/ammonia is treated with a certain amount of Safe. :)

I've always been mystified by this "scoop", as my bottle didn't come with one. How does their new simplified dosage relate to the humble teaspoon? :rofl3

I think you have to buy a small bottle to get the scoop (they're assuming you're dosing small tanks if you get a small bottle)

Oh, boo. I think my big bottle will last quite a while, but I really like it. :)

I can tell you for sure that I won't be using it! I have been using Vitamin C for dechlorination, which is very cheap, but as with Safe, you have to prepare it just before use -- no stock solution. I carefully calculated how to make the solution that allowed me to use the same volume of C solution as I did my diluted Prime, but I never felt comfortable with it. There are just too many opportunities for errors, and if there is even one, I will find it. (You wouldn't believe how many ways I have found to screw up making a pot of coffee in the morning.) If I could find 100 mg tablets of Vitamin C, it would be easy enough, but they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Then I decided to try powdered prazi instead of Prazipro (~half the price). OMG the pain of shaking a quart bottle for 3-5 minutes, and the frustration of finding that it still isn't in suspension. I've been trying to get myself to do a second round for 3 weeks.

Has anyone asked Seachem if they would sell you a scoop?

Sharon, does vitamin c treat both chlorine and chloramine?

I know a lot of people just buy straight sodium thiosulfate and use that, but I have to say I do like prime/safe for it's other properties, not that I need to safeguard against ammonia on a regular basis

I use Seachem Safe since I've had my pond and I love it. I dissolve it in warmer water which helps...plus you need to add more water to the suspension if it isn't completely dissolving. I just use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring utensil and I know I'm not very accurate, especially since I'm not sure how much water is in my ponds (300 and 700 gallon ponds...but they aren't filled completely and they taper down...so it is hard to say exactly how many gallons of water I have). I dose a little higher if I'm not sure and I've not had any problems yet; probably this is because I have such a large volume of water rather than say a 20 gallon tank. It says for chlorine to use 1 teaspoon per 200 gallons...and this is the measurement I use. If I had a 20 gallon tank, I would use liquid prime...since measuring out 1/10 of a teaspoon or a little less than 3/4 of a 1/8th teaspoon would be hard to measure :)...a scale would definitely be better in this case.

Here's a source of information on Vitamin C. I have read several second-hand sources that say Vitamin C treats chloramine, releasing the ammonia. In every case the link to the research paper was broken. I do believe the information. The ammonia would be no problem in a cycled tank, but should be checked if the tank is not cycled.

Edited by shakaho

If you email Seachem support, they will mail a measuring scoop free!

If you email Seachem support, they will mail a measuring scoop free!

No way!

I'm on it! Thanks so much for the tip!

1 mg/L of ascorbic acid will remove the highest levels of chloramine and hypochlorite found in municipal water. No I don't have a source, but I remember reading on the SFPUC web site...

I found these measuring spoons with joke amounts, like "smidge" and "dash" are very handy for measuring Safe

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3080-Stainless-Measuring-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407432457&sr=8-1&keywords=small+measuring+spoons

I use a "smidgen" per 5 gallons :)

This is the actual correspondence:

TAD = 1/4 tsp
DASH = 1/12 tsp <<<< not 1/8 >>>
PINCH = 1/16 tsp
SMIDGEN = 1/32 tsp
DROP = 1/64 tsp

I suspect this is the source, but I haven't found that statement.

1 mg/L of ascorbic acid will remove the highest levels of chloramine and hypochlorite found in municipal water. No I don't have a source, but I remember reading on the SFPUC web site...

Those spoons look great!

I've considered Vitamin C as well, but since I still have 1.25 kg of Safe to go through AFTER all my Prime, it will be a while LOLOL

Thanks for the tip on the scoop, Rob!