Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
ghoti

Thoughts on some HOBs

45 posts in this topic

There is an amazing sale on the Marineland Penguin 350, and a sale (but not as compelling) on the Aqueon QuietFlows. I just wanted some of your opinions on these filters.

Thanks in advance:)

I have aqueon quietflows on all my tanks and I LOVE them. I had a penguin on my ten gallon guppy tank and I liked it but I'd rather go with another aqueon quietflow

I have both on my 55 (except for I have the Emperor 400.) I like both. I think the Emperor offers more versatility for media but the Aqueon seems to have more flow (even though they're both rated 400GPH). If you absolutely need the extra filtration, I'd say Aqueon. Otherwise, I like the Marineland better. :)

I recommend spending a little more and getting an Aquaclear. Check Amazon and Ebay for good prices :)

I recommend spending a little more and getting an Aquaclear. Check Amazon and Ebay for good prices :)

I wish I could find a aqua clear. I had one but it broke and since then I haven't found any cheap

I second Aquaclears! I love my fluval products :) I want to get a smaller 06 fluval canister to replace my AC.

I wish I could find a aqua clear. I had one but it broke and since then I haven't found any cheap
What's broken? They sell many parts for them.

Yeah, they pretty much sell every part of them. You could assemble a full one from the parts list, I'm sure!

People underestimate the Aqueons. I really loved mine.

Agreed. And they aren't expensive either

I second Aquaclears! I love my fluval products :) I want to get a smaller 06 fluval canister to replace my AC.

The motor, intake valve and propeller. I was on vacation and wasn't going to bother with getting replacement parts.

True to the box flow rates, durability, and affordability. What not to love? ghoti, even with the discount, the Marineland may still be considerably more expensive. The Aqueon is nothing to scoff at.

The motor, intake valve and propeller. I was on vacation and wasn't going to bother with getting replacement parts.

For the price, just getting a new filter would be better I think.

True to the box flow rates, durability, and affordability. What not to love? ghoti, even with the discount, the Marineland may still be considerably more expensive. The Aqueon is nothing to scoff at.

No, they're not anything to scoff at. Where did you find out that their flow rate is true-to-box? You have to be careful when saying those things because media lowers flowrate.

For the price, just getting a new filter would be better I think.

No, they're not anything to scoff at. Where did you find out that their flow rate is true-to-box? You have to be careful when saying those things because media lowers flowrate.

Believe it or not, I actually did a (non-scientific) flow rate test. Collected all the water that came out for a minute with a hose replenishing the water that the filter took. Using just the pump, I got an average of ~390.

Also, not to be off topic or anything, but 1,000 posts!

I just don't care for the Aqueon Media compartment space and set up. I know you can rig it, but I would just rather buy a filter like the Aquaclear that is already set up the way I want it :)

PS: I've had several Aqueons because I tend to buy the Aquarium kits (for the hood and lights). I have replaced them all with Aquaclears and am much happier.

Edited by jmetzger72

http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B000260FUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406946074&sr=8-1&keywords=aquaclear+70

The 70 is only 50 dollars. It is probably cheaper to buy a new one than fix that one, unfortunately.

Yeah, I might get one but I would like to have another aqueon to make them match

Believe it or not, I actually did a (non-scientific) flow rate test. Collected all the water that came out for a minute with a hose replenishing the water that the filter took. Using just the pump, I got an average of ~390.

Not to knock your experiment, but we really can't say that it is how you claim based on one test.

I totally am not knocking ACs either. The only complaint on them from me is the pricetag.

I love aqua clears and there are plenty of good reviews of them, but It's hard to find them cheap

I love aqua clears and there are plenty of good reviews of them, but It's hard to find them cheap

Like Jared said, you pay for getting the filter box set up correctly the first time and not having to fiddle with it.

Yeah. But I just throw out the carbon pads on my Aqueon and put in my sponges and bio media

I love the Aqueons. They are customizable, too. I stuff a bag of ceramic biomedia in mine behind the filter pad (I don't buy cartridges).

I love the Aqueons. They are customizable, too. I stuff a bag of ceramic biomedia in mine behind the filter pad (I don't buy cartridges).

I do the same. No reason to spend $$$ and throw out BBs

I have tried a number of filters and am very pleased with the Aqueon 55/75. 400 gph. $30 on Amazon. I have 4 of them.

I have one and I am quite fond of it