Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
jfg5018

EMERGENCY BLEACHED MY PLECO STILL ALIVE

29 posts in this topic

I know I should put up my parameters...but it isnt really neccessary in this case...I think

OH MY GOSH! I was bleaching (dipping) my plants and my pleco (from Acro) must have been attached to the inside of a decoration and was sitting in the bleach solution for a couple minutes!!!

As soon as I noticed I scooped him out...he was darting around the bleach bucket I got him out and dumped him back in the tank...I thought he was dead...he was at the bottom of the tank on his back doing nothing...for a few minutes...

Then all of a sudden he flipped over and moved...hes still alive...what should I freaking dooo?!?!?!

His gills are like outside of his body now...like one of those axoltl fish...and his scales are a bit poofed out

PLEASE HELP!

What ratio of bleach to water did you use

Just "rinse" him out of bleach by transferring him out of several new/conditioned water. Once in the main tank again, add a single dose of Prime.

Then, we hope for the best.

Edited by dnalex

I wouldn't have a clue, but . Fingers crossed for the little guy and he is ok!

Bleach burns the gills of fish so that probably was why his gills looked funny.

Bleach was 19:1

Okay I'll try transferring him like Alex suggested

Thanks!

Gosh, I'm so sorry that this happened! What kind of ornament was he hiding in? That's one of my biggest fears--pulling something out of the tank, not realizing that someone's inside.

I hope you've caught it in time. :hug

Ahhhhh thanks guys...but hes gone....guess this thread needs to be bumped to horror stories....

:madrant Im such an idiottttt!! ughhh im so upset that i wasn't looking careful what a lowsy mistake

Gosh, I'm so sorry that this happened! What kind of ornament was he hiding in? That's one of my biggest fears--pulling something out of the tank, not realizing that someone's inside.

I hope you've caught it in time. :hug

Thanks...unfortunately no...it was a big dinosaur triceratop head thingy with its mouth open and anubias planted on it...I had a bubble wand thingy going underneath it so the water didn't get stagnant inside...so my pleco rarely hid inside it...but I had already removed most of the other decorations from the tank...ughhh such a dumb mistake

i'm so sorry for your loss.

We all make mistakes, in keeping fish, and it's those experiences that help us grow as keepers. Don't beat yourself up over it--we have all been there! :hug

It doesn't sound like the anubias-triceratops was something new, why was it being bleached?

Edited by Acro

Thanks!

Yikes - hopefully you meant 1:19, not 19:1 bleach:water? I am so sorry this happened, but please don't beat yourself up over it. Mistakes do occur, even when we do well-meaning things. I once thought it would be cool to rearrange my tank. I put my driftwood in the corner instead of the center and one of my fish ended up getting stuck between it and the wall :no

I really hope he perks up soon, and I'm glad you caught it when you did. All you can do now is just provide plenty of clean, dechlorinated water. :hug

I'm sorry he didn't make it. :(

It doesn't sound like the anubias-triceratops was something new, why was it being bleached?

I moved again in May, had to reset up my tank and am now combating brush algae with my new water, set up etc...

I'm so so so sad! I was just bragging the other day about how "big" Planko the pleco had gotten too...he was actually almost 4 inches long...(I grow a lot of green algae...)

Thanks!

Yikes - hopefully you meant 1:19, not 19:1 bleach:water? I am so sorry this happened, but please don't beat yourself up over it. Mistakes do occur, even when we do well-meaning things. I once thought it would be cool to rearrange my tank. I put my driftwood in the corner instead of the center and one of my fish ended up getting stuck between it and the wall :no

I really hope he perks up soon, and I'm glad you caught it when you did. All you can do now is just provide plenty of clean, dechlorinated water. :hug

Yep, sorry about that...Pretty sure 19:1 bleach:water would burn off my skin too...I did mean 1:19

Unfortunately, he didn't make it....

Thanks for the support everyone!

So sorry to hear this!!

So sorry for your loss!

I am so sorry for your loss. Please, don't beat yourself up. We all give our best - unfortunately, despite our best intentions, accidents do happen from time to time :hug

Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry. :(

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. I was rooting for him to pull through. Bristle nose plecos are such fun, awesome creatures. :(

I'm sorry about your pleco. RIP, little angel.

Oh no! Sorry he didn't make it. I will have to watch out for my baby albino Bristlenose pleco now when I take stuff out of the tank! I take out stuff from time to time to put in new chola wood and decorations etc.

I'm so sorry :(