Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
SweetMamaKaty

Koi Clay

20 posts in this topic

What can you tell me about it? I'm reading that lots of people really like it - but is it something that should be a staple in every tank, or just if certain conditions exist? Where does one buy it? Basically asking for a koi clay crash course, if you please. :)

I actually have only used it in my HM gel foods :idont

I know some people have used it in ponds/pond filters but I have never heard of anyone using it in tanks. I use it in homemade gel foods sometimes

I use it after each w/c, and I love it! You can either purchase it online, or in pond stores. I get mine from this seller, on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koi-Clay-Calcium-Bentonite-For-Koi-Fish-Ponds-4-lbs-8-lbs-16-lbs-20-lbs-/261493525011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=560374632646&hash=item3ce23a8a13

Ah-ha, thank you - his description is actually really informative too! I wondered what all it does...

Koi Clay enriches & deepend colour of Koi, goldfish, Aids fish health

• Deepens & Enriches Koi Colour, White Background & Lustre.
  • Aids Fish Health – Removes Poisons / Toxins.
  • Acts as a sponge for impurities in water. Improves Water Clarity.
  • Stimulates Appetite. Contains 78 Trace Colloidal Minerals.
  • Re-mineralises water by providing essential minerals and trace elements.

Does anyone know if it changes pH or anything like that, I would need to watch for?

ETA: I have a couple white fish too, so this might be interesting to try out!

ETA2: And another seller has this point:

"Water quality is the most important factor for all Freshwater fish or water garden. Koi, goldfish and other aquatic life can survive in less than ideal conditions. One thing pond hobbyists can do to help their fish thrive instead of merely surviving is to make sure that the minerals and trace elements found in natural ponds are in the water of their koi ponds and water gardens. What little minerals you have in your pond water are quickly absorbed by the fish, plants and even the bacteria that colonize your filters. Unfortunately, most of the water used for our ponds comes from the tap, which is a poor substitute for providing a healthy aquatic environment for your fish. Minerals and trace elements are necessary for the optimum health and development of our fish. The only way those minerals can be replaced or introduced is through water changes and additives."

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

I haven't noticed a pH change. :)

I haven't noticed a pH change. :)

Good to know! I've been wanting to get some, but I have gh/kh issues that I need to tackle first.hide.gif

I love using koi clay! I put in a just a pinch (for my 5 gall) aquarium...I slurry it in a small container of aquarium water first, and add it in during my water changes...it makes the water look cloudy at first, but then BAM crystal clear water in an hour! Makes your water look pristine!

Don't pour it in to your filters (if HOB) to distribute it...I don't think the clay actually dissolves in the water precisely...and can cause gunk build up back there...I learned that from experience...

Also, my goldfish did significantly, and visibly become much brighter colored than before for sure! Also, they grew a lot faster too (but it may be because I upgraded my tank or something...) Not sure, if it was because of the Koi Clay or not with the growth...but it did conincide with when I started adding it.

Very good question OP I was just reading some reviews of koi clay on koiphen and did not see a bad word about it. Was considering using some myself but wasn't sure how it translated to tanks

oops I wrote "5 gall" aquarium...it should say "55 gallon aquarium!"***

Good to know it's available on eBay.

I've used koi clay in my tank. Good stuff. (I also use to eat this type clay as part of my diet. Good stuff there also.)

Ive heard people making small clay balls and putting them into the tank. Goldfish pick at them. I'm wondering if some of the clay dissolves slowly in the water, thus avoiding cloudy water. Thoughts, anyone?

Clay does not dissolve. It goes into a suspension and gradually settles out. If there are small particles in the water, clay particles will coalesce will these to make clumps that will settle out. That produces the sparkling clarity of the water.

I don't know if koi clay does all of the wonderful things claimed by some users, but it won't hurt anything and sure makes the water pretty.

I've used koi clay in my tank. Good stuff. (I also use to eat this type clay as part of my diet. Good stuff there also.)

Ive heard people making small clay balls and putting them into the tank. Goldfish pick at them. I'm wondering if some of the clay dissolves slowly in the water, thus avoiding cloudy water. Thoughts, anyone?

What kind/brand did you eat? Was it the same kind used in fish tanks?

How do you know which brand is good or not?

Koi people all seem to like Ultimate Koi Clay. Google it and you'll find lots of places to order it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DXZIOU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a lot of reading online to make sure this stuff was ok for my goldfish. No problems so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DXZIOU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a lot of reading online to make sure this stuff was ok for my goldfish. No problems so far.

Thank you so much! :hi5

I would select a clay identified as "koi clay" over one intended for human use. All of the clays provide minerals, but the koi clays are selected for their nutritional value for fish and for having the physical properties that clear water well. They are also cheaper.

I have used it in my tanks, makes the water really clear and adds some good minerals. This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-Calicium-Montmorillonite-MLKKB4/dp/B000TZ1R7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407097010&sr=8-1&keywords=koi+clay

I've used that one.