Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

I was gazing into my new fish's...eyes?

Ohhh, I love learning something new. Thank you! :teehee

I hope to see more of this beautiful fish as it grows. Those eyes are fascinating.

Edited by Chai

:thumbup2:

It's just the reflection of light off the retina. The bigger the pupils, the more reflected light you'll see. And as already mentioned, the less pigment you have in your retinal pigmented layer (think fair skinned, blonde hair, blue eyes) the more likely you are to have red eyes in photos vs someone with lots of pigment in their RPE layer (think dark skinned, dark hair, brown eyes). :)

:thumbup2:

Happens to me all the time :o

It's just the reflection of light off the retina. The bigger the pupils, the more reflected light you'll see. And as already mentioned, the less pigment you have in your retinal pigmented layer (think fair skinned, blonde hair, blue eyes) the more likely you are to have red eyes in photos vs someone with lots of pigment in their RPE layer (think dark skinned, dark hair, brown eyes). :)

Thank you! Reading this I realized that I did know this at one point in my life, but had completely forgotten :doh11: . Thanks for the refresher!!

He does indeed have eyes. What a gorgeous guy! True albinos are so fancy. :D

And in truth, you pretty much ARE just looking into him. You're seeing the back of his eyes reflecting light, much like when a cat's eyes reflect and "glow" only it's more pronounced in red-eyed fish.