Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenn Ivimey

I can't be first to not have BBS...

Alright. So I had eggs... and now I have fry! They hatched yesterday morning. Future hubbs is now convinced that BBS are a good plan... but its now Friday so shipping wont be here until Monday or Tuesday, and I have no local stores that sell them. I've read on here about egg yolk and the repashy powder, both of which I have (for repashy I have meat pie, super green and soilent green). I guess my question is that I'm not sure when to start introducing food... and which one? I also have Prazi-pro... not sure when to start that either.

I can't believe they hatched!

Yesterday morning:

20140724_174115.jpg

Just now (sucked up debris and some water... added new water:

20140725_205418.jpg

Mom:

DSCF1267.jpg

Dad:

20140509_151320.jpg

Don't feed them until they are free swimming (not stuck to the glass) you can feed hikari first bites (available at Petco and petsmart). Sometimes you can find frozen baby brine shrimp. I am also feeding my <1 week old fry some frozen Omega One cichlid food that turns to powder when it thaws. (I'm not sure if that last one is recommend but it is small enough). I don't know anything about feeding repashy powder. Egg yolks are very messy.

Edited by Kulukan

I used first bites and frozen BBS. Oh, and plants from the main tank for algae.

Edited by HomerJay

No pet stores here. Free swimming starts around day four? I can upgrade my prime shipping and have bbs by monday night.

Do you have anything algae encrusted in the main tank? You can plunk that in the fry tank, and it'll be a feast for the little guys.

I actually didn't know that I had fry in my tank, and didn't feed them until they were several months old, and the size of a dime. They ate the massive amounts of algae in my mess of a floating plant net. :lol2 They're both incredibly healthy now, more than a year later. :)

I dont! I have a tiny amount in my 5 gallon... my shrimp keep it quite in check. I never thought I would regret that! My main tank has never had any though...

Oh man those babies are gonna be GORGEOUS!!!

My big guys have been breeding all summer/spring and I haven't seen any babies... I think they eat them all! Currently these guys are in a pyrex custard cup... not sure when to make the switch my spare 5 gallon. Contemplating one of those in tank breeder boxes/nets...anyone use these?

Good luck raising your babies, mom and dad are both adorable! <3

congratulations :)

Congrats!

You can make your own hatchery out of a 2 L pop bottle. It was so easy even I could do it. :rofl3

You can make your own hatchery out of a 2 L pop bottle. It was so easy even I could do it. :rofl3

You must be advanced because I tried and failed :rofl3

Here's a great video on how to make your own hatchery

I used first bites and frozen BBS. Oh, and plants from the main tank for algae.

I did this too. I tried hatching BBS, bought the San Francisco Bay hatchery kit and everything. It worked great the first time but after that they wouldn't hatch! Not sure what went wrong. I may try again this time, but I don't trust my construction skills enough to make my own kit and have it be the only food source.

I bought Repashy Spawn and Grow, which is supposed to be a good gel food for fry. It took only 3 days to arrive. I ordered it from Repashy's website for about $10.

I have some powdered spirulina that I feed babies. The guy I bought it from packages it in 1 oz baggies as fry food. I suspect he got a jar of the stuff from a health food store and is making a huge profit. The tiny ones thrive on it.

I have some powdered spirulina that I feed babies. The guy I bought it from packages it in 1 oz baggies as fry food. I suspect he got a jar of the stuff from a health food store and is making a huge profit. The tiny ones thrive on it.

What a good idea! We have this at work and my department tests it, so I know it's low in heavy metals. I will go get some on Monday!

Some cool pics I thought I would share:

20140727_202433.jpg

20140727_202403.jpg

20140727_202353.jpg

20140727_202326.jpg

20140727_202248.jpg

And... more eggs!

20140727_202125.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy... but I see fuzzy stuff on a couple fry... is it too early to start with Prazi-Pro?

Congratulations on your fry! They look lovely.

Flukes are not visible to the naked eye (although evidence of them could be) ... Perhaps the fuzzy stuff might be fungus? I'm interested to know because I am seeing fuzzy stuff on my fry that appears to be mid-hatch ...

As far as when to treat with Praziquantel, it was recommended to me last time I had fry to do this at 2 weeks, but I know others who have done it much sooner.

Edited by *Amanda*

Thanks Amanda!

Not having much success with the little hatchery thing I ordered... made one per the youtube video... here's hoping! They are however eating the repashy powder! I chose meat pie for protien... for one feeding I gave them some soilent green. They seem to be doing well so far, I see bellies with stuff in them!

Oh man...bbs were a hit! Sorry I have been slacking with pics... been working super late all week. Will try to get good pics friday!

I feel like they have grown so much since I started the BBS! Counted the fry today, 51!

20140801_080341.jpg

20140801_080314.jpg

20140801_080310.jpg

20140801_080258.jpg

:9:wub: