Kokos Goldfish Forum

So, I'm thinking of getting some PP, because I've been experimenting with new plants lately, and many of them cannot handle bleach too well. However I have many questions, so I decided to compile them into one thread, rather than clog up the subbie forums. Hopefully others can learn along with me. :)

Brace yourselves, I have a boatload of questions! :rofl

- From what I have browsed on the forum, it seems that PP has no set measurement or ratio? All I have collected is you keep mixing it in until it's dark, opaque purple. Anyone have any general measurement of how this is achieved? Does it take a few teaspoons? Tablespoons? Granted, I know everyone sterilizes in different sized containers, but I think the estimation of around 2-3 gallons is about the average.

- Once you get the water a dark purple-y, how long do you leave it for with the plants? I know it's in the hours range, does it vary based on the plant? For example, stem plants should be in for about this long, swords for about this long, anubias this long, etc. etc.

- Does PP stain plants at all? What about sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What about skin? (I would be wearing gloves, anyway) If it does, how easily does it come off?

- I assume you dip the plants in dechlorinated water after the PP dip, yes?

- How effective is PP at killing pond snails and snail eggs? What about algaes?

- Is PP irritating or damaging to the skin at all, if you accidentally get some on you?

- How much should I buy? I don't buy plants too often, I'm not sure if I should just get a pound or a quarter of a pound, etc, etc.

OK I think I'll leave it at that, and if I have more questions later I will ask. :D

Thanks for your time!

I have to step away for a little while, but if I haven't come back to this thread in an hour or so, please quote this post and :wa me. :lol2

Haha, I may have gone a little overboard with the questions, but whatever you can answer I appreciate. :D

I have to step away for a little while, but if I haven't come back to this thread in an hour or so, please quote this post and :wa me. :lol2

:wa

That was just for fun :)

I braced myself... And I'm still holding onto my chair :rofl you're so cute Georgie :hug

The only thing I know is if it gets on your cloths it does NOT come off :yikes

I'll follow this thread because I think it's going to be helpful! Good questions :)

- From what I have browsed on the forum, it seems that PP has no set measurement or ratio? All I have collected is you keep mixing it in until it's dark, opaque purple. Anyone have any general measurement of how this is achieved? Does it take a few teaspoons? Tablespoons? Granted, I know everyone sterilizes in different sized containers, but I think the estimation of around 2-3 gallons is about the average.

Using the color measurement is fine, but if you'd like, I can help you make a stock solution, with which you can use a pre-measured ratio, if that makes you happy. ;) It's what I do! :)

- Once you get the water a dark purple-y, how long do you leave it for with the plants? I know it's in the hours range, does it vary based on the plant? For example, stem plants should be in for about this long, swords for about this long, anubias this long, etc. etc.

You have to do this in water that has NOT been Primed, as Prime deactivates PP! Super important! hahaha! I leave mine in for about 4 hours. If the water goes from purple to a brownish color, then you need to readd more PP, to achieve your desired color.

- Does PP stain plants at all? What about sinks, bathtubs, etc.? What about skin? (I would be wearing gloves, anyway) If it does, how easily does it come off?

It will temporarily stain your plants, but that will go away. I never use it in any permanent fixture, so I couldn't tell you about staining those. My advice to you is to use a sterilite bin, or something that you won't get in trouble if it ruins. I do usually end up with some on my fingers, but it washes off in a day or two.

- I assume you dip the plants in dechlorinated water after the PP dip, yes?

You can actually just add prime to your PP water, but I prefer to put them in a different bin, and dump out the first

- How effective is PP at killing pond snails and snail eggs? What about algaes?

I don't know about the snails/eggs. I can tell you that I don't have any in my own tank? :idont Bleach is better for algae, I think. I don't have scientific data to back me up, so your mileage may vary. :rofl3

- Is PP irritating or damaging to the skin at all, if you accidentally get some on you?

I've had it splash on me, and I'm still here!

- How much should I buy? I don't buy plants too often, I'm not sure if I should just get a pound or a quarter of a pound, etc, etc.

I bought 8 oz, and I haven't used more than a tiny sprinkle. A little goes a long way! I would think that one 4 oz container that I linked you to earlier, would last you quite a while. :)

The amount depends on how big the container is you're PPing them in but it will be less than a teaspoon. And I don't make it opaque. You should be able to see that plants in there.

I typically PP for 4 hours but I'm just PPing anubias. :teehee The PP does stain, pretty much everything--plants (makes the anubias roots look brown at first but they green up), your hands (gives you a nice brown summer tan :rofl ), sinks, container you're PPing in, etc. If you wear gloves, it shouldn't be much of a problem as far as your skin although it does wash off eventually. I have one container I use for PPing/fish so I don't have to worry about the staining. And when I had a white sink, I could scrub out the staining with a little soft scrub if needed. :D After PPing, I rinse the plants in tap water. :idont You could certainly soak them in water if that would make you more comfortable. Toss in some Prime as Prime neutralizes the PP. And, remember, PP can be used as a bath for fish so even if there is a titch of it left on the plants, add some Prime and you'll be good.

I've never had any problems with irritation with getting PP on my skin and I'm not terribly careful about avoiding contact with the PP. The worst thing is brown fingernails and you can wash those. :rofl

I've had a 6 oz bottle for about as many years. :rofl3 And I used it quite extensively for treating my fish back in the day.

Sniped by Tammy!! :rofl3

Edited by fantailfan1

Those gals are so helpful! :)

Thank you both. I did not know you can make a "stock solution" with PP. I thought you just had to add powder to water, but this makes it a bit easier. I have been reading through this thread and it's very helpful.

So basically, you make your 'stock solution' and then add that to the bucket of water with your plants, correct? It's sorta like using Prime, and Prime is basically a stock solution of Safe. Am I making sense? :rofl3

Thank you both. I did not know you can make a "stock solution" with PP. I thought you just had to add powder to water, but this makes it a bit easier. I have been reading through this thread and it's very helpful.

So basically, you make your 'stock solution' and then add that to the bucket of water with your plants, correct? It's sorta like using Prime, and Prime is basically a stock solution of Safe. Am I making sense? :rofl3

Alex was nice enough to help me make a stock solution when I needed to treat my fish. When using it on actual fish, the concentration where it is helpful is quite close to the concentration that is dangerous, so having it at the proper level is important. I still have the recipe, and can help you whip up a batch.

What I do is I measure out some of the PP solution, with a syringe, and I add it to my bucket. If it doesn't look purple enough, I add a little more. If it's just plants, you are able to be less precise. :)

One thing that I'd like to reiterate: The solution should not be opaque. If you can't see your plants inside, then you've added too much.

Alex was nice enough to help me make a stock solution when I needed to treat my fish. When using it on actual fish, the concentration where it is helpful is quite close to the concentration that is dangerous, so having it at the proper level is important. I still have the recipe, and can help you whip up a batch.

What I do is I measure out some of the PP solution, with a syringe, and I add it to my bucket. If it doesn't look purple enough, I add a little more. If it's just plants, you are able to be less precise. :)

One thing that I'd like to reiterate: The solution should not be opaque. If you can't see your plants inside, then you've added too much.

"Measure out 2 Grams of Potassium Permanganate

Measure out 25 Grams of water. Do NOT use dechlorinator, as this will deactivate PP upon contact! :o

Add the two together, and then stir until dissolved."

Is this the recipe? I got it from Kate's thread. I actually think I have a syringe unopened, so I'm thinking to dedicate that to PP usage. ;)

And the stock solution only takes a few drops to turn the water into the appropriate color?

"Measure out 2 Grams of Potassium Permanganate

Measure out 25 Grams of water. Do NOT use dechlorinator, as this will deactivate PP upon contact! :o

Add the two together, and then stir until dissolved."

Is this the recipe? I got it from Kate's thread. I actually think I have a syringe unopened, so I'm thinking to dedicate that to PP usage. ;)

And the stock solution only takes a few drops to turn the water into the appropriate color?

That is my recipe for a stock solution, yes.

You would add 2 mL per 10 gallons for your plant dip.

So if I'm only sterilizing in a 2-3 gallon tub, I only need a couple of drops, essentially?

If worse comes to worse, I'll just add the powder straight to the bucket of water very slowly, as Lisa said, I'm probably not going to need more than a teaspoon. :idont

Thank goodness I didn't buy the pound, I'd probably have it for 20 years! :rofl3

For 2-3 gallons, you won't need nearly a tsp. You'd need a shake or two from what would come out of a salt shaker. :D

Does that make any sense to anyone but me?! :rofl2

I just found instructions for disinfecting duckweed with pp. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-grow-duckweed.html

You can disinfect the plant within a few seconds. All you have to do is to mix a teaspoon of potassium permanganate in twelve gallons of water. Immerse the plants in this water for around thirty seconds.
After that, take out the plants and immerse them in fresh water for another thirty seconds. You are done with the disinfecting part. This process will ensure that the plants are free of bacteria and aquatic pests.

I assume this works for other plants as well.

Not a bad idea, Lisa. I could get a salt shaker from the thrift store and use that. I just hope my gullible family members don't think it's some sort of rare spice and use it on their food. :o:rofl2

It's just hard to imagine that such a little amount of the powder can make the water such a vibrant purple. :idont

Thank you everyone helping me with my annoying questions and giving helpful advice so far. :heart Everything is beginning to make sense.... I think. :rofl

:rofl you'll believe it when you see it! It's awesome and beautiful. :D

All I do is tap the powder into a big bowl of water. Stir, and add a teeny bit more if it's not very dark. :)

Is the liquid PP that they sell at hardware stores different than the powder? I went in looking to buy some but it was $40 for a bottle(!) so I just bought the $3 bleach instead. Do most people use powdered PP for plants? I'm just curious because I only ever saw liquid PP for sale.

I hadn't seen a liquid pp. :idont

You can get it at Lowes. It's a powder and should be a lifetime supply.

This is a better deal.

Edited by shakaho

Is the liquid PP that they sell at hardware stores different than the powder? I went in looking to buy some but it was $40 for a bottle(!) so I just bought the $3 bleach instead. Do most people use powdered PP for plants? I'm just curious because I only ever saw liquid PP for sale.

It looks like the powder, by far, would be a better deal. If your using a small 2-3 gallon bucket, all you need is a very tiny sprinkle. You can also go the stock solution route, that Tammy mentioned. If you buy it (the liquid PP) at the hardware store, I'd imagine you're basically paying for a pre-made stock solution, that you can easily make yourself.

Powdered PP is very cheap on eBay.

It looks like the powder, by far, would be a better deal. If your using a small 2-3 gallon bucket, all you need is a very tiny sprinkle. You can also go the stock solution route, that Tammy mentioned. If you buy it (the liquid PP) at the hardware store, I'd imagine you're basically paying for a pre-made stock solution, that you can easily make yourself.

Powdered PP is very cheap on eBay.

Exactly Georgia

Basically for the the stock solution you are paying for the water, AND the PP but with the powder you can choose to make your OWN stock solution or just use it directly.

Either way it's cheaper in the long run to get the powder

You guys soak your plants for a long time!

I wonder if there is any sort of scientific support for how long you need to soak (for example, how long to kill snails, algae, bacteria etc.) I don't soak for very long, 30 min at most typically. Sharon's link said 30 sec. I have seen such a wide range of recommendations for soaking times for PP it's hard to know which is best and if it even matters.

Hi Jess!

Ironically, I was actually watching your old video the other day on how to sterilize plants to see how you did it. :rofl

One thing I noticed is your color looked much darker than others I've seen on the forum. It was a darker purple, almost opaque. But then you said you only dipped the plant for 30 minutes. :idont

This leads me to my next question, which would be more effective, when PPing fragile plants? Making a stronger solution, but soaking for a short amount of time, or making a much weaker solution and soaking for a longer period of time?

Hi Jess!

Ironically, I was actually watching your old video the other day on how to sterilize plants to see how you did it. :rofl

One thing I noticed is your color looked much darker than others I've seen on the forum. It was a darker purple, almost opaque. But then you said you only dipped the plant for 30 minutes. :idont

This leads me to my next question, which would be more effective, when PPing fragile plants? Making a stronger solution, but soaking for a short amount of time, or making a much weaker solution and soaking for a longer period of time?

I don't know :P I can't remember if I measured it out in that video or not? Most of the time I honestly just eyeball it :idont

4mg/liter is what I use (4 ppm) if I take the time to measure, I'm not sure how that compares to what Tammy does. I had found a few references that suggested 4ppm, so that's what I went with, but I have never been able to pin down a soak time, as there are so many varying suggestions on this.

Here, skeptical aquarist suggests a 10ppm dip for 90 min for plants! this is much more concentrated than my dip. http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate