Moucho+Moncho

Super green or solient green?

12 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer and why

super green. I haven't had a fish get floaty from it. :D

The disqualifier here is that I haven't fed gel food to my fish in over a year :rofl, but having said that, I prefer super green better, WITH THE CAVEAT there needs to be some sort of animal protein source to go with the super green, either mixed in or separately. From what I've read from the fish nutrition articles, some animal source protein is important, and you can easily do this by feeding frozen blood worms a few times a week.

Soilent green is not bad at all though, and my fish did very well on it for quite a while, until I got lazy. :rofl

:goldfish: Super green :goldfish:

I have been doing super green and FBW daily for the past month-ish... I love it.

I haven't tried super green yet, but my fish love soilent green and are doing very well with it.

I don't have to worry about buoyancy issues with my fish, but if your fish suffer from food-induced floatiness, than Super Green is the way to go.

That said, I still feed Super Green to my singletails ( to only one of them, actually. One fish hates it, no matter how many times I try to feed it to her, she'll spit it out. :rofl ) because they get a large portion of protein from their pellets, which make up a very large majority of their diet.

Soilent Green has animal proteins in it (thus having a higher protein content) whereas Super Green focuses on algae and plant matter. My fish don't get much greens in there diet, so I supplement with Super Green, just to give some variety.

I have mixed my super green and soilent green together. :idont It allows them to get the animal source of protein but makes it a more veggie based mix. I also feed frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and HL pellets so I'm not to awfully worried about the gel having the animal protein. I have one floaty girl but she seems fine with the mix probably because it is a gel and not solid. :)

I feed Soilent Green - it has animal AND vegetable components. I haven't felt the need to supplement with Super Green, but after hearing good things about it recently I might buy some. I really like gel food and Repashy's is high quality, no doubt. My fish that had occasional swim bladder problems stopped having them entirely once I switched to Soilent Green as the staple.

Soilent Green is also what Ken of Dandy Orandas uses and recommends, and the fish I purchased from him is the healthiest fish I have ever bought.

Edited by *Amanda*

Okay do you store the powder in the fridge or at room temp?

Okay do you store the powder in the fridge or at room temp?

I store the powder at room temp in the bag it came in (I order the largest size, 64 oz - saves money that way). I prepare 1/4 cup SG to 3/4 cup water, per the instructions on the bag. After preparing it, I store the gel in the fridge in a Tupperware container, and tear off pieces for feeding that I crumble up with my fingers in the tank water. What's cool is that I have a few fish that will come up and eat it out of my hand as I am doing this! Edited by *Amanda*

I have used both and also prefer super green. I think it's a great formula for older goldfish in particular. I do supplement with FBW and pellets.