*Amanda*

Eggs!

37 posts in this topic

No eggs would hatch for me without a heater. If the temperature is properly monitored you won't fry the eggs. Just put them in a separate bin of tank water and hatch. Temperature has a very real effect on the fry.

I am betting this is what happened. I wasn't able to get my hands on a heater for the first 3 days, and didn't want to remove the heater from the main tank in case the fish spawned again. It takes several days to heat and stabilize the main tank, since it's a large volume of water. I have always been told 75F is the ideal temp for eggs/fry. Last year it was closer to 80 and all fry hatched in less than 2 days.

Right now the heater in the main tank is turned up slightly to 73. I might add some floating plants, but will probably only be able to find anacharis locally. Last year when my fish spawned, they did so again two weeks later. I hope I will get another chance.

Is there a better material I could use to make a bottom spawning mop out of? I'm worried that if I get eggs, I won't be able to see them against the white filter bag. I'm checking daily, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Use acrylic yarn. Jennie on Solid Gold has a DIY Spawning Mop video you could check out.

I personally love water lettuce roots and water hyacinth roots as spawning mops. I can just move the entire plant over and leave it with the babies as a constant food source while they're still young.

If you can't grow that on your tank, try either the artificial mop or whatever bushy plants you can find. They don't necessarily need to float to catch eggs.

Chelsea, is this what you meant? I went and bought 2 water lettuce plants today and put them in my tank just now after sterilizing in 1:19 bleach:water, rinsing in water and then soaking in dechlorinated water.

Hopefully it will help trigger them to spawn - I find it impossible to tell if any of my females are gravid; the difference is too subtle for me to know.

yzenyqet.jpg

Yes. That's how I do it. :) I find that the natural roots not only hold eggs amazingly, but they don't injure the female because they're easy to break off. Don't be alarmed if the roots do come off after sterilization, as they will immediately regrow. It's a process the plant goes through. :)

The difference between a gravid and non-gravid fancy should be very apparent. From above, the fish will look quite a bit rounder, especially on one side. From the front, you should be able to tell too. It's easy to see in behavior, as they begin to slow down and do a lot more exaggerated 'waddling' when they swim. :) I suppose it's difficult to tell if you aren't as obsessively attentive to your fish as I am. :teehee

Yes. That's how I do it. :) I find that the natural roots not only hold eggs amazingly, but they don't injure the female because they're easy to break off. Don't be alarmed if the roots do come off after sterilization, as they will immediately regrow. It's a process the plant goes through. :)

The difference between a gravid and non-gravid fancy should be very apparent. From above, the fish will look quite a bit rounder, especially on one side. From the front, you should be able to tell too. It's easy to see in behavior, as they begin to slow down and do a lot more exaggerated 'waddling' when they swim. :) I suppose it's difficult to tell if you aren't as obsessively attentive to your fish as I am. :teehee

Thanks Chelsea. I'm very glad I was able to find the water lettuce! Yes, a lot of the roots did come off.

I had heard goldfish get more plump on the left side, so I've been looking for that, but is that not necessarily the case? I'm thinking my fish may not "show" as much because they don't lay nearly as many eggs as some of the numbers I've heard on this forum. I watched the entire spawning of one of my fish last year, and there were definitely <100 eggs. I heard the number of eggs peaks at a certain age and also goes up with subsequent egg-layings by that female. That's the only reason I can think of why I wouldn't be able to tell - I stare at my fish every day too! :)

Also, I've been researching about the eggs not hatching some more. Could it be that the eggs were crushed by the pressure change when I lifted the plants out of the main tank and put them in the new tank? A lot of them did look like they had been smashed. I initially thought it was fungus, but now not so sure. I didn't think at the time to pick them up in a cup of tank water, oops. I will do that if I get eggs again.

Thanks Chelsea. I'm very glad I was able to find the water lettuce! Yes, a lot of the roots did come off.

I had heard goldfish get more plump on the left side, so I've been looking for that, but is that not necessarily the case? I'm thinking my fish may not "show" as much because they don't lay nearly as many eggs as some of the numbers I've heard on this forum. I watched the entire spawning of one of my fish last year, and there were definitely <100 eggs. I heard the number of eggs peaks at a certain age and also goes up with subsequent egg-layings by that female. That's the only reason I can think of why I wouldn't be able to tell - I stare at my fish every day too! :)

Also, I've been researching about the eggs not hatching some more. Could it be that the eggs were crushed by the pressure change when I lifted the plants out of the main tank and put them in the new tank? A lot of them did look like they had been smashed. I initially thought it was fungus, but now not so sure. I didn't think at the time to pick them up in a cup of tank water, oops. I will do that if I get eggs again.

I don't think you need to worry about any pressure changes. They likely either came out that way or were eaten. I would suggest feeding more bloodworms during this time to add back some of the nutrition momma is losing laying so many eggs.

Just because they aren't visible doesn't mean the eggs aren't being laid. They get eaten very quickly or just aren't spotted. :) what looks like a hundred could very easily be three hundred. I learned that the hard way. :rofl

Right now my butterfly is pushing my veiltail into the water lettuce roots, but he's not doing it constantly and relentlessly like I've seen done in the past. He is pushing up against her belly and following really close, just like they would if spawning, but they only go up there every 5 min or so and then swim apart. I thought spawning behavior was supposed to be constant until all the eggs had been laid. Could they be preparing/practicing?

I would guess practicing but I have nothing to base that off of :rofl The only time that I've found eggs is when the chasing has been pretty rough, but during the days before the roughness my big male would kind of pester the female.

I would guess practicing but I have nothing to base that off of :rofl The only time that I've found eggs is when the chasing has been pretty rough, but during the days before the roughness my big male would kind of pester the female.

Ok, good. I hope all this flirting leads to something! :rofl

I've always found my eggs early in the morning, so keep an eye on them them then.

Spawning time seems to be around sunrise, before things warm up.

I think that she may be releasing a few pheromones but not enough to encourage a full-on spawn.

Spawning time seems to be around sunrise, before things warm up.

I think that she may be releasing a few pheromones but not enough to encourage a full-on spawn.

Interesting ... when I saw my other fish spawn it was around 10 p.m., and these fish last spawned in the middle of the afternoon! I must have weirdos. I'm keeping an eye out and hoping for eggs, whenever that will be! Maybe the timing is off because they are in an aquarium with a heater, so things don't "warm up" per se.

I examined my fish very closely this morning for signs of egginess. My veiltail and pompom both look sort of bigger on one side, but it's really hard to tell because they're plump on both sides to begin with. :idont

Which side would the extra weight be on? Is it always the left, or could it be the right? I also noticed both of their vents are protruding a little more than usual and the pompom does seem to be moving more slowly.

Edited by *Amanda*

I don't think it matters what side the weight is on. :idont I have fish that get heavy on the left and on the right. Most female fish will be heavier on one side to begin with, because they have the ability to get eggy.

It really isn't so much about observing them once, but observing them closely every day so that you can learn the subtle differences in each fish's body until you can tell when one thing is off even a little bit. That takes time.

Actually I am sorry to tell you this, but from the first pic, I can tell you that it was unfertilized and also that it has fungus on it. I have personally done a post on how you can tell the difference and it's exactly the first one pinned in this forum. It is not because the heater was not on or something like that (this time). The black thing you might have seen in the egg is the egg cell reducing its own size.

They are going to spawn many times, so don't worry at all. They even do it too much end you end up like " agaaaaain??? sgjawfa".

If you have doubts again whether the egg is a yes or no, ask me and I'll gladly tell you :).