Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Eggs!

I came home from work just now to find EGGS stuck to my java fern and hydrocotyle! I could see only about 15 or less; I am guessing the fish ate most of them.

When I got home, I commented to my mom that Gordo's (my purple butterfly) breeding stars looked much more pronounced than usual. Then, I saw the eggs. She said the fish had been splashing around earlier and she thought it was weird, but she didn't think much of it and doesn't know which fish were doing the splashing. I believe I have 1 male and 3 females (a pompom, a veiltail and a telescope). No one else had breeding stars.

In the morning, if there are still any eggs left, I'm going to set up my 10 gallon, add a heater set at 75F, and move the plants over to it.

I just wanted to share this; it was totally unplanned (well, for me at least! ). Coincidentally, I just bought Repashy Spawn & Grow just in case, and it arrived today. Talk about timing! At least I have all the supplies this time around, so let's see how it goes!

ehazajut.jpg

sudegega.jpg

And here's the dad:

yge5anat.jpg

How exciting! When you find eggs to pull out any that are white they should be removed as they are not fertilized. You want the clear eggs. The white ones will grow fungus that can spread to the viable eggs. If there aren't any good eggs left tomorrow just keep an eye out over the next week because it is likely they will spawn again, usually early in the morning.

Its also possible that there are more eggs than you see. I pulled out a plant that I saw 5 eggs on and ended up with at least 20 fry.

** edited for grammar and added stuff

Edited by Kulukan

Nice.

Good luck.

:)

Well done can't wait to see if there are any eggs tomorrow and I wish you the best raising the fry if there are :)

:popcorn I'll wait and watch to see if you will have possible fry. :carrot::interesting:

Congrats on finding some eggs.

My eggs still haven't hatched yet. :-(

When I hold my phone flashlight up to the fry tank, I can see little black things inside the eggs. They don't look white like they would if they were infertile. Sorry I can't get a good pic because I can't use the flashlight app and take a pic at the same time. For the first couple of days I had the tank at room temp because I needed to get the heater back from my boyfriend. It's now set at 75 and still no fry.

I just remember the first time I had eggs they hatched in 1 1/2-2 days, but the water was around 80. Will the eggs take longer to hatch because of the lower temp? It's been 4 days now.

I also have an air stone in there - should I leave it there or not?

Edited by *Amanda*

I actually was able to get a pic, using the flash. I can see the two black eyes and in this pic, the egg looks elongated, like the fry is trying to get out.

e9avyham.jpg

That is an awesome pic! Looks like you caught him/her in the act!

Edited by Thoughts

I read somewhere that it does take longer to hatch in cooler temperatures (don't know how true that is but I read it on the internet so it must be :rofl )

That is an awesome pic! Looks like you caught him/her in the act!

I sure hope so! It's hard to tell for sure since they're so tiny. They've been like this since I took that photo a few hours ago; nothing is swimming or on the tank walls yet. It's been over a year since I last had fry, so I would be devastated if none of these hatched. I've been watching the main tank for more eggs and haven't seen any yet. I made a spawning mop out of extra filter bags and put it in just in case.

I read somewhere that it does take longer to hatch in cooler temperatures (don't know how true that is but I read it on the internet so it must be :rofl )

LOL I read that too, but it wasn't on here so I wanted to confirm! I think it was on Yahoo Answers, and I take everything on there with a pound of salt!

I checked this morning and the fry still haven't moved.

It's okay, they still have time to hatch if they're not looking fuzzy! :nana

Very handsome dad. :teehee

I'm very sad ... none of the eggs hatched. They've got fuzzy stuff on them; it looks like fungus - even though I could see tiny black dots in the eggs, like they were going to hatch but got attacked by fungus? I didn't see any eggs that were obviously infertile, but couldn't tell for sure due to obstruction by the plants and water. It looked like the eggs were falling apart and there were no fry (believe me, I looked!) :(

I would like to know what caused this if at all possible, and what I could do better next time. I only had 8-10 eggs, and they were very far apart from each other. I put the plants that had eggs stuck to them in a 10-gallon tank, half full, with water from the main tank. Could the eggs have died as I removed the plants from the water to transport them?

Three days in, I added a heater set at 75F (it had been room temp) and an airstone. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were all 0, pH 7.9, GH 13, KH 10.

The last time I had fry (last year), I was fortunate enough to catch the fish spawning. I caught about 20 eggs as they fell from the female in a mesh breeding basket, and floated the basket in the main tank for the first few weeks. One of my mistakes was leaving the fry in the basket for too long; I should have transported them shortly after hatching but was worried I wouldn't be able to see them in the fry tank.

Now, I have a spawning mop I constructed out of a filter bag sitting on the bottom of the tank, anchored by some gravel. If my fish spawn again (fingers crossed), should I pick up the spawning mop in a container filled with tank water and transport it to the fry tank, or should I float it in a large mesh breeder in the main tank to ensure consistency in water temp/parameters? I want to ensure the best success possible, and am willing to get new supplies if needed.

Thanks!

It sounds like you did exactly what I did with my fry (timing on the heater and everything). The first eggs had a very low hatch rate (3 out of 10-15 eggs). The fish spawned again a few days later and those eggs immediately had a heater and a very good hatch rate. Maybe it was a battle between hurrying to hatch before the fungus got to them and without a heater for those days the fungus won.

I'm so sorry they didn't hatch the babies would have been beautiful :)

I'm very sad ... none of the eggs hatched. They've got fuzzy stuff on them; it looks like fungus - even though I could see tiny black dots in the eggs, like they were going to hatch but got attacked by fungus? I didn't see any eggs that were obviously infertile, but couldn't tell for sure due to obstruction by the plants and water. It looked like the eggs were falling apart and there were no fry (believe me, I looked!) :(

I would like to know what caused this if at all possible, and what I could do better next time. I only had 8-10 eggs, and they were very far apart from each other. I put the plants that had eggs stuck to them in a 10-gallon tank, half full, with water from the main tank. Could the eggs have died as I removed the plants from the water to transport them?

Three days in, I added a heater set at 75F (it had been room temp) and an airstone. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were all 0, pH 7.9, GH 13, KH 10.

The last time I had fry (last year), I was fortunate enough to catch the fish spawning. I caught about 20 eggs as they fell from the female in a mesh breeding basket, and floated the basket in the main tank for the first few weeks. One of my mistakes was leaving the fry in the basket for too long; I should have transported them shortly after hatching but was worried I wouldn't be able to see them in the fry tank.

Now, I have a spawning mop I constructed out of a filter bag sitting on the bottom of the tank, anchored by some gravel. If my fish spawn again (fingers crossed), should I pick up the spawning mop in a container filled with tank water and transport it to the fry tank, or should I float it in a large mesh breeder in the main tank to ensure consistency in water temp/parameters? I want to ensure the best success possible, and am willing to get new supplies if needed.

Thanks!

When I had fry, I was advised not to add a heater as with the tank not full it could essentially "fry" the eggs. Not sure if there is any truth to this or evidence to prove it but besides that I did nothing different to you when I removed eggs from my tank.

No eggs would hatch for me without a heater. If the temperature is properly monitored you won't fry the eggs. Just put them in a separate bin of tank water and hatch. Temperature has a very real effect on the fry.

No eggs would hatch for me without a heater. If the temperature is properly monitored you won't fry the eggs. Just put them in a separate bin of tank water and hatch. Temperature has a very real effect on the fry.

I am betting this is what happened. I wasn't able to get my hands on a heater for the first 3 days, and didn't want to remove the heater from the main tank in case the fish spawned again. It takes several days to heat and stabilize the main tank, since it's a large volume of water. I have always been told 75F is the ideal temp for eggs/fry. Last year it was closer to 80 and all fry hatched in less than 2 days.

Right now the heater in the main tank is turned up slightly to 73. I might add some floating plants, but will probably only be able to find anacharis locally. Last year when my fish spawned, they did so again two weeks later. I hope I will get another chance.

Is there a better material I could use to make a bottom spawning mop out of? I'm worried that if I get eggs, I won't be able to see them against the white filter bag. I'm checking daily, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Edited by *Amanda*

I am betting this is what happened. I wasn't able to get my hands on a heater for the first 3 days, and didn't want to remove the heater from the main tank in case the fish spawned again. It takes several days to heat and stabilize the main tank, since it's a large volume of water. I have always been told 75F is the ideal temp for eggs/fry. Last year it was closer to 80 and all fry hatched in less than 2 days.

Right now the heater in the main tank is turned up slightly to 73. I might add some floating plants, but will probably only be able to find anacharis locally. Last year when my fish spawned, they did so again two weeks later. I hope I will get another chance.

Is there a better material I could use to make a bottom spawning mop out of? I'm worried that if I get eggs, I won't be able to see them against the white filter bag. I'm checking daily, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Use acrylic yarn. Jennie on Solid Gold has a DIY Spawning Mop video you could check out.

I personally love water lettuce roots and water hyacinth roots as spawning mops. I can just move the entire plant over and leave it with the babies as a constant food source while they're still young.

If you can't grow that on your tank, try either the artificial mop or whatever bushy plants you can find. They don't necessarily need to float to catch eggs.

Hornwort!! My java and windelov ferns did a great job of catching eggs also. And doesn't make a huge mess of the tank when it adjusts. :rofl

(I'd still go with hornwort though, or something bushy like Chelsea said. If it serves a purpose then the potential mess might be worth it. :) )

And I'm sorry the eggs didn't hatch :hug

Sorry the eggs didn't hatch. Maybe next time they will :):goodluck

Use acrylic yarn. Jennie on Solid Gold has a DIY Spawning Mop video you could check out.

I personally love water lettuce roots and water hyacinth roots as spawning mops. I can just move the entire plant over and leave it with the babies as a constant food source while they're still young.

If you can't grow that on your tank, try either the artificial mop or whatever bushy plants you can find. They don't necessarily need to float to catch eggs.

Huh, it looks like they might sell these at Home Depot! That would be great. I will go look!

From my experience, having the spawning material floating or at the top of the water triggered spawning. So if you want to initiate spawning again, i would suggest floating the spawning mop just like Jennie's video.

I was lucky enough to wake up during the spawning and caught a little on video http://instagram.com/p/lmDjJewoF1/?modal=true