Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Garrett

butterfly koi fin growth?

40 posts in this topic

I have two young butterfly koi in my pond and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to make sure their tales will be very flowing and long?

Hi Garrett,

As far as I know it is simply genetics. Even if you know what the parents look like, you really won't know how long their fins and tails will be until they're about 3 years old.

Thank you for the information. Mine are young but idk how young because I bought them at walmart but I'm thinking they're about 3 inches maybe?

Did you QT them before putting them in the pond? Walmart doesn't take the best of care of their fish at all.

Not just because they were from Walmart should you QT them, but any new fish should be QTed for 4-6 weeks at least. More if needed.

Edited by Mikey

I gave them each a 5 minute salt dip so they should be good. The fish were healthy just looked like they had all beat each other up in the tank so I picked the two with no damage. They have very good filtration as well. I have a fountain and an aerater for them. I've splurged so much on the four fish I have already lol they should be good

That is not enough. They need salt and prazi (at least 4-5 rounds).

I gave them each a 5 minute salt dip so they should be good. The fish were healthy just looked like they had all beat each other up in the tank so I picked the two with no damage. They have very good filtration as well. I have a fountain and an aerater for them. I've splurged so much on the four fish I have already lol they should be good

5 minute salt dips do not remove bacterial infections or some internal/external parasites, nor do they remove the flukes that we all should be regularly treating our fish for. When we Quarantine a fish, we do so to protect our current stock from being infected from new fish, as well as the new fish from anything our current stock may be carrying that they haven't been exposed to yet. By acclimating them to our water source over a period of time, it allows their bodies to be exposed to the water and reduces the stress of going between sources. Also, Quarantine being so long and involved will allow any diseases to surface, which some do not do so at first and can surface well into the second week of QT because they are brought on by the stress of transport or the change in water/environment.

I would encourage you to read this article by Tithra on how to QT and DnAlex's article on why. Though I highly doubt that these fish will be "good" or "fine" due to their very poor source, I do wish you the best with them.

-

Like MG said, I think that it's all in the genes.

While I can't say for sure, I could estimate your new fish are well under a year old based on how quickly mass-suppliers want to move their fish.

Edited by ChelseaM

He only has two fish so why does he need to quarantine and yes he still needs to do prazi Tec but they are his only fish so can't they just be put straight in the pond??

He only has two fish so why does he need to quarantine and yes he still needs to do prazi Tec but they are his only fish so can't they just be put straight in the pond??

He has two orandas in the pond as well with the koi. Even if they were to be the only two fish, they need to be QTed to get rid of any parasites or problems they may have. Edited by Mikey

Can you please remove this post accidentally posted twice

Edited by goldfishfanforever

He has two orandas in the pond as well with the koi. Even if they were to be the only two fish, they need to be QTed to get rid of any parasites or problems they may have.
Oh I thought he only had the two koi as it says he has 2 goldfish on the side which I thought might be his koi

5 minute salt dips do not remove bacterial infections or some internal/external parasites, nor do they remove the flukes that we all should be regularly treating our fish for. When we Quarantine a fish, we do so to protect our current stock from being infected from new fish, as well as the new fish from anything our current stock may be carrying that they haven't been exposed to yet. By acclimating them to our water source over a period of time, it allows their bodies to be exposed to the water and reduces the stress of going between sources. Also, Quarantine being so long and involved will allow any diseases to surface, which some do not do so at first and can surface well into the second week of QT because they are brought on by the stress of transport or the change in water/environment.

I would encourage you to read this article by Tithra on how to QT and DnAlex's article on why. Though I highly doubt that these fish will be "good" or "fine" due to their very poor source, I do wish you the best with them.

-

Like MG said, I think that it's all in the genes.

While I can't say for sure, I could estimate your new fish are well under a year old based on how quickly mass-suppliers want to move their fish.

Yes I would highly recommend checking out those two threads by tithra and DnAlex

I've only had the orandas for 3 months now and they've changed homes 3 times now lol. If they were going to die then it would have happened by now

I've only had the orandas for 3 months now and they've changed homes 3 times now lol. If they were going to die then it would have happened by now

Garrett, even though that the orandas have survived that, it doesn't mean they can survive anything. I highly recommend you listen to the people trying to help you and quarentine your koi. It's not benefiting any fish by not quarentining those koi.

Garrett, even though that the orandas have survived that, it doesn't mean they can survive anything. I highly recommend you listen to the people trying to help you and quarentine your koi. It's not benefiting any fish by not quarentining those koi.

Exactly, Paige.

Garrett, I am going to put it really simply for you.

Not quarantining is like putting two healthy people in a room with two people with flu. Maybe they'll get it, maybe they won't, but it's likely they will. Would you like to be one of those healthy people? Or would you hope that the people put in the room with you have been treated beforehand?

If you don't quarantine, each time you add a fish to the tank you risk losing every single fish in that tank. Believe me, I have been there with fish and so have very many others. It's not something to blow off and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

At this point, what's done is done, but in the future please take Quarantine into mind instead of blowing it off.

Edited by ChelseaM

The comments on this thread are not as nice as they could have been. Let's take a step back, and try to be nice to each other, please?

--

I have noticed, with my own fish, that their tails grow longer with age. If you keep the water quality pristine, and you take good care of them, they'll grow. :) Genetics certainly play a role, but you can maximize their potential with good husbandry.

Koi tails are really fast growing too. ;) not long after they reach a good size, their tails will start growing longer and longer :)

Like Tammy above (yafash) had said with time and pristine water that will help greatly. But genetics play a role also. I have other types of fish then you but when mine were younger their tails were short. They are long and flowing in the water as they swim now. :)

The comments on this thread are not as nice as they could have been. Let's take a step back, and try to be nice to each other, please?

I agree with being nice and all but at some point you just have to throw your hands up and tell it like it is. This Garrett obviously has no idea what he is talking about and yet refuses to listen to anyones good advice. Granted, advice was not asked for on how to QT anywhere in the original post but fortunately there are knowledgeable people on here trying to save the fishes lives. I would never buy fish from Walmart and I would surely never put them into a "pond" with a couple of other fish that I have proclaimed to have "splurged" on. It would be a shame for them all to die due to lack of care.

This is going to be a very quiet forum if people cannot post something without being flamed, having information jammed down their throats, and their right to make decisions for their own fish respected.

QT, the quality of fish sold in various locations, and communicable fish diseases are all topics covered in other posts on the site and forum. If an OP would like to learn about those topics all they need to do is search. Polite suggestions are nice but since when is anyone on this forum permitted to be accuser, judge, jury and executioner?

I'm getting kind of discouraged seeing posts of this nature all over the forum and I highly doubt anyone else's curiosity or willingness to learn is being encouraged by this behaviour.

I apologize to the OP and assure you that Kokos is here to help. If you have any questions feel free to search keywords or pm someone you have seen sharing information and feel comfortable asking. Assuming the new member hasn't run for the hills as is...

I agree with being nice and all but at some point you just have to throw your hands up and tell it like it is. This Garrett obviously has no idea what he is talking about and yet refuses to listen to anyones good advice. Granted, advice was not asked for on how to QT anywhere in the original post but fortunately there are knowledgeable people on here trying to save the fishes lives. I would never buy fish from Walmart and I would surely never put them into a "pond" with a couple of other fish that I have proclaimed to have "splurged" on. It would be a shame for them all to die due to lack of care.

Buying fish from Walmart really isn't all that different from buying them from a local pet store. Also, what makes a fish "fine" or "good", as implied earlier in this thread, is not being born on a Hawaiian Island, and fetching a 100+ price tag. Even those designer fish require QT, get sick at times, and eat.....just like ten cent feeders.

This thread had absolutely nothing to do with quarantine, so making someone else feel bad about not doing so is both uncalled for, and unnecessary. The OP asked a simple question, and was bashed for making a mistake. Mentioning once that QT is important, was all that was necessary.

We all started somewhere, and nobody is perfect.

Buying fish from Walmart really isn't all that different from buying them from a local pet store. Also, what makes a fish "fine" or "good", as implied earlier in this thread, is not being born on a Hawaiian Island, and fetching a 100+ price tag. Even those designer fish require QT, get sick at times, and eat.....just like ten cent feeders.

This thread had absolutely nothing to do with quarantine, so making someone else feel bad about not doing so is both uncalled for, and unnecessary. The OP asked a simple question, and was bashed for making a mistake. Mentioning once that QT is important, was all that was necessary.

I wouldnt call the responses bashing at all. They were trying to help, then the person came back with some incorrect info, which was then corrected again. Yeah we all (OK most) know fish need QT but have you ever even seen a Walmart fish lol? They're nearly dead before you even buy them. The OP did also ask for advice on how to be sure to grow long fins. Surely, the best advice would be to keep them alive and treat them for illnesses such as flukes etc which they no doubt have, which was what was suggested.

Edited by DieselPlower

This is going to be a very quiet forum if people cannot post something without being flamed, having information jammed down their throats, and their right to make decisions for their own fish respected.

QT, the quality of fish sold in various locations, and communicable fish diseases are all topics covered in other posts on the site and forum. If an OP would like to learn about those topics all they need to do is search. Polite suggestions are nice but since when is anyone on this forum permitted to be accuser, judge, jury and executioner?

I'm getting kind of discouraged seeing posts of this nature all over the forum and I highly doubt anyone else's curiosity or willingness to learn is being encouraged by this behaviour.

I apologize to the OP and assure you that Kokos is here to help. If you have any questions feel free to search keywords or pm someone you have seen sharing information and feel comfortable asking. Assuming the new member hasn't run for the hills as is...

It is quite obvious that the OP already thinks he knows everything he needs to know, and as such would not be searching around looking for info on proper QT. He already stated that a brief salt dip was good enough. Thank goodness the people who posted earlier gave the advice they dead, otherwise all 4 fish could easily end up dead. Do you think that would encourage the OP to continue fish keeping? Maybe. And if so, he would go out and buy more fish and kill them too. It amazes me how fragile young people are these day.

I wouldnt call the responses bashing at all. They were trying to help, then the person came back with some incorrect info, which was then corrected again. Yeah we all (OK most) know fish need QT but have you ever even seen a Walmart fish lol? They're nearly dead before you even buy them. The OP did also ask for advice on how to be sure to grow long fins. Surely, the best advice would be to keep them alive and treat them for illnesses such as flukes etc which they no doubt have, which was what was suggested.

One of Mikey's healthiest fish is from Walmart. Just sayin'!

We should not make blanket statements for ANY retailer. Just as not all Petsmart/Petco/LFS are created equal, Walmart shouldn't be dragged in the dirt. There's one by me that has a very well managed aquatic section. Isn't that something?

Two of my fish are from walmart both with minor cases of ick, and that's all I treated for; nothing else. I didn't know about QT too well when I got them and was just a beginner on here when I got my second walmart fish. Both are still living a year and a half later and thriving. You really can find some jewels at Walmart sometimes. Why don't you try and guess who I got from walmart? You will be surprised. One is nearing 2 years old, in fact.

Edited by Mikey