Fish Of Gold

Fish Vitamin gel?

29 posts in this topic

I seen this online, it is a vitamin treat for Goldfish. Could I use something like this for my Fantail?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24840

lg-78093-61590-pond.jpg

Also seen fruit treats for Koi and Goldfish, what do you think of this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28335

p-88352-74671-83-85-pond.jpg

You can, but I really don't think that you need it. Most (all) premium goldfish foods today should have more than enough Vitamin and nutrient requirements when fed properly. :)

Hmmm I have seen that too but if you are already feeding a good quality food there is no need to add extra vitamins to your goldfishes diet. And about the fruit thing, I read the ingredients and it really doesn't have what goldfish "need" in there diet

Edited by Moucho+Moncho

Can l feed all of the fruits that are in the Koi/Goldfish treat as fresh fruit then? Do Goldfish even like fresh fruit, or do they like just veggie stuffs?

Can l feed all of the fruits that are in the Koi/Goldfish treat as fresh fruit then? Do Goldfish even like fresh fruit, or do they like just veggie stuffs?

They like fruits but you should only feed them a small amount once a month

They love fruit, but the sugar is bad for them. I just give them a small amount of orange or grapefruit now and then as a treat, and to give them a little vitamin C.

Fruit is good in moderation. They love veggies and you can feed those quite often!

Not sure about goldfish, but I know with tortoises it's recommended to feed fruit no more than about once a month, if at all, because of the excess sugar and because it can cause bacterial blooms. I don't feed my tortoise any because to me it's just not worth the risk. These concerns may or may not be the same for fish, but at least the part about sugar seems logical for both species.

Another thing to consider is that goldfish wouldn't encounter fruit very often in the wild, if at all, so I wouldn't think it would need to be included in their diet.

And I agree about the vitamins - if you are feeding quality food, it already contains the appropriate doses and proportions. There is a real risk of overdosing on certain vitamins.

I'm not feeding a good food right now really. It is just a sample of Goldfish food flakes that came in my 5 gallon tank that I bought for my Betta fish. I want to get a good pellet food and buy some Repashy Superfoods too.

I'm not feeding a good food right now really. It is just a sample of Goldfish food flakes that came in my 5 gallon tank that I bought for my Betta fish. I want to get a good pellet food and buy some Repashy Superfoods too.

The flakes aren't horrible - they're still food for your goldfish - but many brands contain a lot of fillers, dyes and questionable ingredients, and often don't contain the best protein sources.

I recently bought some pellets that my fish like a lot. I love the fact that they're very small, sinking and less likely to cause digestive problems than the larger, floating pellets. They are:

1) New Life Spectrum Thera+A

2) Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish (considerably smaller than the other Hikari pellets, which caused floatiness in some of my fish)

3) Pro-Gold (available from Goldfish Connection)

You're unlikely to find any of these in stores (or at least I couldn't), but I'm sure they're much cheaper online anyway. I purchased the first two from thatpetplace.com. I believe our sponsor, TastyWorms, also carries them now, as well as all the Repashy gel foods. I checked a few days ago and they've really expanded their inventory since the last time I visited!

I recently started feeding my goldfish more of a variety and smaller amounts more frequently, and they seem much healthier!

Edited by *Amanda*

I found the Thera A+ at my local PetCo. :) Try there, first. I would also recommend Omega One Small Goldfish Pellets :)

The flakes aren't horrible - they're still food for your goldfish - but many brands contain a lot of fillers, dyes and questionable ingredients, and often don't contain the best protein sources.

I recently bought some pellets that my fish like a lot. I love the fact that they're very small, sinking and less likely to cause digestive problems than the larger, floating pellets. They are:

1) New Life Spectrum Thera+A

2) Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish (considerably smaller than the other Hikari pellets, which caused floatiness in some of my fish)

3) Pro-Gold (available from Goldfish Connection)

You're unlikely to find any of these in stores (or at least I couldn't), but I'm sure they're much cheaper online anyway. I purchased the first two from thatpetplace.com. I believe our sponsor, TastyWorms, also carries them now, as well as all the Repashy gel foods. I checked a few days ago and they've really expanded their inventory since the last time I visited!

I recently started feeding my goldfish more of a variety and smaller amounts more frequently, and they seem much healthier!

Very good info, I will look at these! :D

I found the Thera A+ at my local PetCo. :) Try there, first. I would also recommend Omega One Small Goldfish Pellets :)

I'll see if my local Petco has those foods, thanks! :D

Interesting! There's no Petco in my area; do they generally have more of a variety than Petsmart when it comes to food? I also keep hearing people talk about the Omega One pellets, but my local Petsmart only carries Omega One cichlid flakes. The LFSs have even less of a variety, and it's all really expensive.

Interesting! There's no Petco in my area; do they generally have more of a variety than Petsmart when it comes to food? I also keep hearing people talk about the Omega One pellets, but my local Petsmart only carries Omega One cichlid flakes. The LFSs have even less of a variety, and it's all really expensive.
My local PetCo offers a lot more goldfish food than my local Petsmart. I'm not sure about tropical. Both my local PetCo and Petsmart carry Omega One small goldfish pellets I'm pretty sure. I guess it varies on location and demand. I'm pretty sure the fish guy here pulls some strings because he is really good and really cares about the fish. That's why even though, generally, Petsmart has better fish, I buy fish from PetCo. He isn't shy about slapping the "Fish under observation" sign on the tank if something looks wrong.

If you don't want to spend as much on food then I would recommend:

•New life spectrum Thera A+

•New life spectrum goldfish pellets

•Omega one goldfish pellets

If you don't mind spending a little more then I'd recommend:

•Pro-gold

•saki-hikari (purple bag)

•Repashy solient green (if you don't want to supplement with some sort of protein)

• Repashy super green (be sure to supplement with frozen bloodworms etc to give your fish some protein

•Pro-gold

•Repashy solient green (if you don't want to supplement with some sort of protein)

• Repashy super green (be sure to supplement with frozen bloodworms etc to give your fish some protein

Yes I sure will check out those brands, I'm already planning on trying some of the Repashy foods :) What are the pellet sizes of those other brands do you know? My Goldfish is still just a little guy.

•Pro-gold

Yes I sure will check out those brands, I'm already planning on trying some of the Repashy foods :) What are the pellet sizes of those other brands do you know? My Goldfish is still just a little guy.

The Saki-Hikari are pretty small

New life spectrum comes in three different sizes. ( 1mm is what I use and my goldies are not very small )

And Omega one comes in three sizes as well. (1mm, 2mm, 3mm)

*I use a mix of NLS and Omega one*

Ahhh nice that they come in various sizes! :D What about the Pro Gold?

Pro gold comes in one size :)

Pro gold comes in one size :)

OK thank you, :D but what size is it...1mm? 2mm? etc....

I actually don't remember :o I haven't used it in a while now. :)

Pro gold is a medium size pellet it wouldn't be good for baby fish but medium fish to larger fish would do fine on it

Pro gold is a medium size pellet it wouldn't be good for baby fish but medium fish to larger fish would do fine on it

Is my fish still considered a baby? If so, should he be eating a food for baby goldfish, like a growth formula pellet?