Fish Of Gold

Fish Of Gold's Goldfish Journal

320 posts in this topic

Today has been 1 week since I bought my Fantail Goldfish Dreamsicle. :goldfish: I'm not sure if Dreamsicle is a Male of Female but I'll just say him/his/he till I find out for sure. :tbanana I did his first water change Saturday and he wasn't scared of the siphon hose of the vacuum one bit! Most of my tropical fish are scared when I vacuum their tanks, except my Bettas they are too curious and follow the siphon around the whole tank and getting in the way LOL! :unsure:

I gave him his first slice of cucumber Saturday also. He didn't start eating it right away but now he LOVES it! :g025: He sure loves to eat too, but I do not feed him more than he needs even if he begs me ha ha! :Scoff:

Dreamsicle has gravel in his tank right now but may change it to sand next month which looks better and is better for him. :fishtank I do not know what plants or decorations I will put in there yet. I am looking at bubblers to put in Dreamsicle's tank as well.

I hope I take the right care of him so he lives a long time, I need all the hints, tips and info I can get!

Dreamsicle came home on July 14th 2014. I love Dreamsicle already! :pease:

Dreamsicle12.jpg

Dreamsicle is a cutie

He looks very happy! Make sure you clean the gravel whenever you change the water until you get sand :) I'm excited how he grows!!! :nana

Dreamsicle is 2 inches long including his tail. He doesn't look any bigger yet, but it has only been 1 week LOL!

Dreamsicle has a split in his top fin now! Must have happened when my 5yr old Niece and 3yr Old Nephew were over the other day. I was showing them my goldfish when my Niece started knocking on the tank! Poor Dreamsicle got scared and started to zip all over the tank :( I explained that is not how you treat fish :stop:mad: She leaned over and said sorry to Dreamsicle :teehee They have never seen fish in a tank before and they are still young so they don't know how to treat fish. But they sure are old enough to learn proper pet care of fish and I will teach them ;)

Here is a picture of Dreamsicle's tank as of today (July 22nd 2014) He looks so tiny in there right now! :P

bd0375a9-1ba1-4e9f-a307-925f11b1ae83.jpg

I absolutely love how colorful your tank is! :)

Pretty tank and pretty fish :)

Dreamsicle is 2 inches long including his tail. He doesn't look any bigger yet, but it has only been 1 week LOL!

Dreamsicle has a split in his top fin now! Must have happened when my 5yr old Niece and 3yr Old Nephew were over the other day. I was showing them my goldfish when my Niece started knocking on the tank! Poor Dreamsicle got scared and started to zip all over the tank :( I explained that is not how you treat fish :stop:mad: She leaned over and said sorry to Dreamsicle :teehee They have never seen fish in a tank before and they are still young so they don't know how to treat fish. But they sure are old enough to learn proper pet care of fish and I will teach them ;)

Here is a picture of Dreamsicle's tank as of today (July 22nd 2014) He looks so tiny in there right now! :P

I think you're doing an awesome thing teaching them how to properly care for fish :):thumb:

I was wondering how that thing in the top right hand corner of your tank works? I was thinking of getting some great looking fish and tank by the way

I love his neon looking tank

I was wondering how that thing in the top right hand corner of your tank works? I was thinking of getting some great looking fish and tank by the way

It is an Ammonia Alert. It measures the amount of ammonia in your tank's water and goes from Safe, Alert, Alarm and Toxic depending on ammonia levels. I use it along with weekly aquarium ammonia test kit. It has been pretty accurate for my Tropical fish, but this is my first time using it with my Goldfish.

It is an Ammonia Alert. It measures the amount of ammonia in your tank's water and goes from Safe, Alert, Alarm and Toxic depending on ammonia levels. I use it along with weekly aquarium ammonia test kit. It has been pretty accurate for my Tropical fish, but this is my first time using it with my Goldfish.
ok cool!

Tomorrow is week 2 with Dreamsicle :) He is still doing great and his fin is healed up from being split last week! But I am still a nervous mom, looking in his tank in the middle of the night sometimes. :krazy: I can see faint movement in his tank from the light of the night light down the hall if I get up during the night.

I did my weekly water change today :D You are not kidding when you all say Goldfish are messy! He had tons of yucky stuff on top of the gravel everywhere! Ugh :huh: Got it all clean now. :rolleyes:

I have been thinking of my tank changing plans and making a shopping list. I looked at some stuff online for the tank redo and I am planning on buying the new aquarium things in less than a week. Not sure what things I will end up buying online. I been looking at Mopani drift wood because I like the 2 different colors it has on it. Also seen small artificial driftwood pieces with silk plants attached. An LED light with both white day lights and blue night lights built in. Color changing bubbler with LED light. I really want to try Repashy foods too! I will have too see what is available in the pet stores too. I need to buy some good Goldfish pellets as well. We have 7 good pet stores near us to treasure hunt at ;) I know that there shouldn't be lots of stuff in the tank like I have in my Tropical tanks, so it will be hard to settle on just a couple of things for in Dreamsicle's tank. :whistle

Dreamsicle today 7/27/14

Dreamsicle38.jpg

Dreamsicle is gorgeous and I can't wait to see the tank when it is revamped :)

Week 3 with Dreamsicle :) Did water changes today and he was as messy as ever! LOL Looks good still, no rips or holes this week. Thank goodness!

Dreamsicle today, August 3rd, 2014.

102_22262.jpg

I couldn't get everything that I wanted to get or everything he needed on this pet store trip. I'll have to go online to order some things. But I did get some goodies :D The new Marineland 350 filter that I bought was 50 dollars but on sale for only 24 dollars at PetSmart for 3 days only. How could I pass that up!? Got him a new green net, an aquarium tree, and some Omega One Flakes and Pellets. Plus a few other things you can see in the picture.

102_2208.jpg

I gave him some of the new Omega One pellets soaked in water. He loves them yay! :feedme I also gave him a shelled pea, he wasn't too sure about that but did eventually take a big nibble out of it. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure when I will be able to do the tank redecorating because I still need the sand that I could not find in any of the 7 pet stores that I went to yesterday. Still need some Prazi and I still want to try Repashy foods for all of my different fish plus a few other things first.

I want to get a 40 gallon breeder for Dreamsicle, but I seen a nice 65 gallon that I MIGHT consider. I also seen my dream tank, a 180 gallon tank! Dreamsicle would look like a new born fry in that tank! :rofl2

I just got my shipment from Drs Foster & Smith today! So now I finally have a bottle of PraziPro, a veggie clip for Dreamsicle's veggies. (And I ordered Heartguard Heartworm meds for my cat)

I got him a treasure chest too that came with another tank so I never used it before. Dreamsicle insisted that he wanted one! LOL!

102_2247.jpg

One Month Anniversary of bringing Dreamsicle home will be in 2 days on Monday August 11th! :happyA:

Wow time flies! I officially measured Dreamsicle today as I held him. He is 1 1/8 inches long not including his tail. He even looks longer :teehee

Today I started the Prazi treatments. I changed 75% of the water before adding Prazi and salt. Dreamsicle seemed stressed out while doing the water change, he'd dash around then he'd bottom sit for a long time breathing hard. After the tank was filled again all the way he seemed back to normal so I don't know why he was doing that. :idont

Dreamsicle today: 8/9/14

102_22683.jpg

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Your fish is adorable! ^_^ I hope all goes well for you and him!

Your fish is adorable! ^_^ I hope all goes well for you and him!

Thank you very much! :thanks

Happy (belated) one month anniversary!

Happy (belated) one month anniversary!

Thanks! :D

I love seeing all the pics of Dreamsicle :heart

Looking good! :)

I am continuing the Prazi treatments on Dreamsicle's tank. The next WC is on Monday and then Tuesday. It is tiring to do 50% water changes that often when I am used to once a week. But I know it is for his wellbeing. I take out 10 gallons each time. Then I was thinking that if I get a 40 gallon breeder tank I'll have to take out 20 gallons at each weekly WC.

When I mentioned that to my Fiancé who always helps me with weekly WCs he said that he does not want me to get the 40 gallon :( Partly because we already have 4 other tanks besides the Goldie tank and an ISO tank that we do WC on every week. So I have 6 tanks now. But if I get the 40, I can take down the 20 and 6.6 tank. The albino pleco is in the 6.6 tank and I was only keeping him in there till he got bigger. I bought him at a half inch long now today I measured him at 1 3/4 inches long now! I was hoping that he is big enough to be added to the 30 gallon soon, but first I have to figure out what is going on in my 30 with the crooked spines. (Which have gone away now). I was maybe thinking however if I get the 40, that I can still keep the 20 long running so I can put the 3 female Bettas in there from out of the 30 gallon tank. But I don't know, the Bettas seem extremely happy in the 30 though. :hmm We'll see :)

Here is Dreamsicle today August 16th, 2014: It seems that every good picture of Dreamsicle is when he is facing to the right so I finally got one of him facing to the left :lol3

102_2336.jpg

These are some of the new decorations that I got for Dreamsicle. One is a nice tree with silk leaves and the other one is a wishing well that I am going to have a bubble stone inside of it so bubbles come out of the well part or the bucket, maybe both. :teehee I am not sure If I will have both in this tank or wait till I get the 40 gallon tank. :hummm

102_2438.jpg

Omigosh that photo - he's got a little pout! Its like he's throwing a lil bit of blue steel in there! Lmao. I can't get over how well his name fits him, he looks like a mango and vanilla ice cream (maybe thats just me tho). He's stunning :)