dnalex

A (NEW) D&D Reminder To All - Please Read

17 posts in this topic

Greetings fellow Kokonuts,

Recently, I noticed that there has been a lot of arguing in the D&D thread, with not much moving forward as the result of such arguments. What DID happen was that we would then get pages to slog through, which can be very frustrating, not to mention unhelpful.

I would like to remind everyone of the following:

- please respect it when mods/helpers/senior members are helping in the thread. They are helping to coordinate things. Please do NOT make medication recommendations before getting all information, and it's best to wait for someone from the mod team. If help is not coming fast enough, use the report button, and admin will make sure it gets answered ASAP.

- once someone has asked for vital information, let's not inundate the OP with the same requests multiple times. It can be annoying at best and very off-putting at worst. Remember that we want to help, not to make everything look so daunting/intimidating that people just give up before they start.

- D&D threads are NOT places to argue about things.

- D&D threads really should be kept as trim and concise as possible, so that the OP and those helping can actually quickly read through it. Well wishes are of course welcome, and encouraged.

Thank you for your help, and attention, to this matter. I hope your summer/winters are all going splendidly! :)

Thanks Alex, agreed on all points. It's so important to be respectful at all times - we want to help the person, not scare them away!

I've never seen this report button, though - perhaps it's not visible on the platforms I'm using (Tapatalk on my phone and an iPad at home)?

The D&D checklist is also not visible on Tapatalk; you have to copy and paste it from another post into yours. Signatures also aren't visible - some people tell the OP to click on the link in a signature or to fill out the form at the top of the page, which we also can't see. I'm not sure if this is something that is fixable or not, but it might help newbies who are using this app to have a clearer pathway to the D&D checklist - unless of course it's just a limitation of the app.

The best option would be to use the iPad/Phone browser in full version. The site runs nicely on an iPad, for sure. :)

Thanks Alex, agreed on all points. It's so important to be respectful at all times - we want to help the person, not scare them away!

I've never seen this report button, though - perhaps it's not visible on the platforms I'm using (Tapatalk on my phone and an iPad at home)?

The D&D checklist is also not visible on Tapatalk; you have to copy and paste it from another post into yours. Signatures also aren't visible - some people tell the OP to click on the link in a signature or to fill out the form at the top of the page, which we also can't see. I'm not sure if this is something that is fixable or not, but it might help newbies who are using this app to have a clearer pathway to the D&D checklist - unless of course it's just a limitation of the app.

Hi Amanda,

The D&D checklist is no longer retrievable at the top of the D&D forum, so I made a link to a thread that has it, and put it in my sig. :)

The report button can be seen with Tapatalk. When you want to report in a given thread, switch the view to browser view (full version, as Cat had described), and you will see the button, right next to the edit button. :)

I found that the easiest way to quickly find the D&D list is to link it in my sig. :rofl3 No running to look for it--it's just there.

Hi Amanda,

The D&D checklist is no longer retrievable at the top of the D&D forum, so I made a link to a thread that has it, and put it in my sig. :)

The report button can be seen with Tapatalk. When you want to report in a given thread, switch the view to browser view (full version, as Cat had described), and you will see the button, right next to the edit button. :)

Ah! Found it, thank you!

It's in my sig, too :)

Giving this a bump, as it hasn't been up in awhile! :)

Bump!

This thread needs a periodic bump.  Dnalex did a good job of explaining how a d/d thread should run.  

The members of the moderating team consult with one another on most d/d threads.  If you feel we are missing something or have a treatment to suggest, do NOT bring it up on the thread.  At the bottom of each post is a report button.  Click that and a window comes in which you can communicate this to the mod team.

The OP who has a sick fish doesn't want a discussion of all the things that might be wrong with the fish and all of the possible ways of treating, but rather single answers to the questions, "What is wrong with my fish?" and "How can I fix it?"

While we all want to help and see sick fish as something very sad (I certainly do) - we need to realize that not all of us are truly qualified to help. This was made clear to me as a rookie Goldie owner. A moderator told me that points should only be offered based on experiences.

Say - if a certain med cured MY fish of a disease, it's okay to mention that if what I see looks similar, but not necessarily recommend it. Recommendations of treatment is best left to the mods. In these cases, I find that BUMPING the thread is useful as oftentimes threads pile up and some get overlooked.

Wish new fish owners well, and send your healing vibes their way (kind words). If you get to a thread first - it's okay to request they fill out the D&D form by pasting it into their thread for easy access. It's also okay to send them to the healthy fish guidelines. Let's all try to be helpful in our own way, leave diagnostics to the disease team, and kind words are ALWAYS USEFUL!

I just thought to post this as a reminder to myself and perhaps anybody else that may find it of use. Hear hear to happy, healthy gold fish!

Generally good advice, but please don't bump a D/D thread.  When threads get long, it becomes very difficult for someone trying to analyze the symptoms, changes, and treatments to date to find information.  If the mod team appears to have abandoned the thread, please use the report button and draw it to their attention.

Likewise, if you have an idea about what may be wrong or how to treat,  either from experience or reading, use the report button to tell the mod team about it.   It might be just what we were looking for.  People with sick fish feel panicky, as you know well, and alternative suggestions make it worse.  

Time to bump this thread again.  Everyone wants to help someone with a sick fish, but too much help can get confusing.  

When someone asks for help with a sick fish,  ask them to fill out the D/D form.

If you think you know what ails the fish and what treatment it should receive, report the post and give the mod team your recommendation. 

We have a lot of new members, so we need another reminder of D&D policy.  Everyone can help with sick fish.  

First, post the D&D form and ask the OP to fill it out.  While the instructions say to copy and paste, that doesn't work for some people.  They can also quote your post and fill out the form within the quote,  

We also have instructions for filling out the D/D form.  Link people to to these instructions, but please don't post them as "the form".  

We do NOT offer a diagnosis or treatment without a completed form.  If they don't have a test kit, you can recommend they take water samples to a fish store for testing (and get a test kit while they are there).

If you believe you know what ails the fish and how to treat it, please use the "Report post" button at the top to give your advice to the moderating team.  We will read and discuss your suggestions.  We do not want conflicting advice in a D/D thread.

If you believe the ailment results from poor water quality because of too many fish, too little water changed, or inadequate filtration, please ask the OP to read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Let them discover the problem on their own.

If the initial post has not received a response from the moderating team after a few hours, please use the report button to draw our attention to the post.

Edited by shakaho

For people posting threads in the disease section:

We understand that mistakes can be made and that things can slip by. For us to help you we need to know exactly what's going on. We ask that you please include all requested information and that all provided information is COMPLETELY accurate. Keep in mind that we can't help if we are misguided and all we seek to do is help. 

In addition, fish disease, injury, and illness can take a turn for the worse often surprisingly fast. Please reply to questions and follow instructions from assistants as quickly as possible. If you are not expressly told its safe to wait, then please do not wait. 

Lastly, we encourage you to ask as many questions as you need to ensure you're understanding well, but also please carefully read replies from assistants. Threads tend to get excessively long and can be confusing if they contain multiple posts repeating the same things. 

Thanks for using the Kokos forum. If you have any questions feel free to message a moderator. We wish you happy and healthy goldfish and a fun and rewarding goldfish keeping hobby!