Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bornagainnatural

Zeda & Zelda: Oranda & Red Cap Oranda

I have had Zeda for close to two months now. I purchased her from Petco. She wasn't well when I purchased her and am thankful for this forum as I have learned so much on maintaining and caring for fancy goldfish. I purchased her because she was cute. I wasn't aware that the few missing scales that she had were signs that she was rubbing against tank decorations due to ick. The meds that turned the tank blue did not work. I also noticed a tiny area of her fin that looked damaged which began to increase. Turned out to be tail rot which was easily treated with melafix and pimafix. The ick on the other hand was more disturbing for me than it prob was for her. Increased temps, aquarium salt, constant water changes...

I have learned to do my research before purchasing fish however I won't be purchasing anymore as these little guys grow to be rather large.

I bought Zelda (red cap) about two weeks later from a reputable family owned aquatic establishment and she has been our tank star.

Both fish are doing well and Zelda's wen is showing signs of growth. About two weeks ago she was floating near the top of the tank. Fed her shelled peas which took care of her buoyancy issue.

I love them both dearly and they are loads of fun, but they are ALOT of work. They produce more waste than I am use too so I change 20% of the water every week to week and a half. They are in a 30 gallon tank. In a few years I will upgrade to a 55 gallon tank. My filter can accommodate up to 70 gallons using two filters in one system along with a separate carbon bag.

I recently did a face lift on their tank by removing most of the gravel leaving open most of the tank floor. I did a 60% water change to complete this. I added large rocks to maintain the smaller sections of gravel. I decided to keep a section for the small bottom feeders that I have. Two are catfish and I can't recall what the other ones are but they have reached their adult size being an inch. They prefer hiding areas so the area with gravel is for them.

I added pots for the plants and overall like the look.

I am feeding them a homemade gelatin mixture with organic baby food (peas), brine shrimp (can't use alone as it doesn't sink), banana, and zuccini and they absolutely love it.

You can see the blue discoloration from the ick meds on the air pump tube that I originally tried and didn't work. I will reverse the tube for the air pump so that it isn't visible and change the section cups so that it isn't so noticeable.

uta3u5y6.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Your tank is pretty and you are to be congratulated on successfully treating Zeda's ick. It was a good idea to remove most of that gravel. I'm sure you found a lot of crud in the gravel. Many people here use a few larger stones in the bottom of the tank, however we recommend only a single layer of stones with space between them. The reason is that the spaces between the stones collect debris which doesn't get vacuumed up, rots and can foul the water. The fish love to push the scattered stones around.

Welcome to the forum! :D Both your orandas are very beautiful!

Just a few things I wanted to mention:

- the plant on the right looks terrestrial to me. If you keep it underwater for long enough, it will most likely perish. You can keep it in your filter basket, above your media. Not only will it look pretty, but it will aid in removing some nitrates.

- we recommend that goldfish keepers preform 50-90% water changes weekly, as goldfish create a very large amount of waste, as you mentioned. It's also a good practice because you are removing any built-up impurities and organic matter, along with replenishing minerals with fresh water.

- the pile of rocks looks very pretty, just make sure you routinely move them around a bit during each water change and vacuum any debris and poop, as they will get caught between the rocks very easily and decompose, which can lead to problems with your water quality. Scattering them around would probably be best, as Shadako mentioned.

- bottom-dwelling catfish aren't the best tankmates for goldies, as the goldfish themselves do a very good job at foraging and cleaning up, and as they grow, they might try to eat the catfish, resulting in death or injury to both the fish

Like your colourful tank.

Your fish look very nice.

Welcome to Koko's!!!

- the plant on the right looks terrestrial to me. If you keep it underwater for long enough, it will most likely perish. You can keep it in your filter basket, above your media. Not only will it look pretty, but it will aid in removing some nitrates.

- we recommend that goldfish keepers preform 50-90% water changes weekly, as goldfish create a very large amount of waste, as you mentioned. It's also a good practice because you are removing any built-up impurities and organic matter, along with replenishing minerals with fresh water.

- the pile of rocks looks very pretty, just make sure you routinely move them around a bit during each water change and vacuum any debris and poop, as they will get caught between the rocks very easily and decompose, which can lead to problems with your water quality. Scattering them around would probably be best, as Shadako mentioned.

- bottom-dwelling catfish aren't the best tankmates for goldies, as the goldfish themselves do a very good job at foraging and cleaning up, and as they grow, they might try to eat the catfish, resulting in death or injury to both the fish

Thank you. The catfish that I have grow to a maximum length of one inch. Do you think they may still pose a problem?

Welcome to the forum! Your tank is pretty and you are to be congratulated on successfully treating Zeda's ick. It was a good idea to remove most of that gravel. I'm sure you found a lot of crud in the gravel. Many people here use a few larger stones in the bottom of the tank, however we recommend only a single layer of stones with space between them. The reason is that the spaces between the stones collect debris which doesn't get vacuumed up, rots and can foul the water. The fish love to push the scattered stones around.

Thanks so much. I will more than likely remove all of the gravel possibly in a few weeks. My daughter has two small fish in a ten gallon tank and have been begging for the catfish.

Hi Georgia. Thanks so much. I am wondering about this plant myself. When I purchased it, it was in an plant aquarium and all of the plants were housed underwater. It does remind me though of a plant that my mother had when we were younger and it wasn't aquatic.

I will also increase the percentage on my water changes. I wasn't aware that 50% to 90% was okay for them. I read somewhere to be mindful of drastic water changes as it may aggravate fish. I don't believe they were goldfish though.

Thanks so much.

Your fish are adorable and I really like your colorful pots. Very pretty. I think that's great that your considering rehoming your catfish and taking out some of those rocks. Like mentioned above....it will be a great idea.

Welcome! :hi your fishies are adorable!

Your fish are adorable and I really like your colorful pots. Very pretty. I think that's great that your considering rehoming your catfish and taking out some of those rocks. Like mentioned above....it will be a great idea.

I am wondering if the catfish will pose a problem. They are small, growing to be an inch max.

Welcome! :hi your fishies are adorable!

OMG!!! Hashie and Edie are beautiful!!!

I'd say just keep an eye and have a separate tank/tub ready just in case. What kind of fish does your daughter have in her ten gallon? They might be able to go in there, possibly. If the goldies can't fit their mouths on any part of the catfish, it should be OK for a while, but I don't think it would work out permanently. Just keep in mind that corydoras catfish (I assume that's the species you have) have spines on their fins, which may injure the mouth of a curious goldfish if he starts pecking at it.

As for the plant, it reminds me of a ribbon plant, however I'm not positive if that is what it really is.

103859.033.jpgribbon_grass.jpg

And, yes, large water changes are 100% safe for goldies, as long as the temperature and pH are matched. This is very crucial. You have a couple degrees of wiggle room, it doesn't have to be exact. The recommendation for small WCs comes from the tropical side, where the fish are far more delicate, and change in water chemistry could mean disaster. They also do not create far as much waste as our goldies, hence the WCs simply aren't necessary.

I'd say just keep an eye and have a separate tank/tub ready just in case. What kind of fish does your daughter have in her ten gallon? They might be able to go in there, possibly. If the goldies can't fit their mouths on any part of the catfish, it should be OK for a while, but I don't think it would work out permanently. Just keep in mind that corydoras catfish (I assume that's the species you have) have spines on their fins, which may injure the mouth of a curious goldfish if he starts pecking at it.

As for the plant, it reminds me of a ribbon plant, however I'm not positive if that is what it really is.

103859.033.jpg ribbon_grass.jpg

And, yes, large water changes are 100% safe for goldies, as long as the temperature and pH are matched. This is very crucial. You have a couple degrees of wiggle room, it doesn't have to be exact. The recommendation for small WCs comes from the tropical side, where the fish are far more delicate, and change in water chemistry could mean disaster. They also do not create far as much waste as our goldies, hence the WCs simply aren't necessary.

a4u3egu9.jpg

Attached is a better pic of one of two catfish. I purchased them a few months before buying ZEDA. I bought them from Petco and they were labeled as catfish something another. They are bottom feeders.

Cories (what you have) are not compatible with goldfish. There has been more than one instance of a goldfish getting them stuck in their mouth or being injured attempting to nibble on. They have barbs that can easily get caught in the mouth of a hungry goldfish. I would either setup another tank (a tropical tank) or try to rehome. Cories should also be kept in groups as an fyi ;)

sorry! Best fish to keep with goldfish are generally other goldfish ;) the few exceptions are bristlenose and rubberlip plecos (other plecos are also bad news) Snails can make good tankmates as well.

Cories (what you have) are not compatible with goldfish. There has been more than one instance of a goldfish getting them stuck in their mouth or being injured attempting to nibble on. They have barbs that can easily get caught in the mouth of a hungry goldfish. I would either setup another tank (a tropical tank) or try to rehome. Cories should also be kept in groups as an fyi ;)

sorry! Best fish to keep with goldfish are generally other goldfish ;) the few exceptions are bristlenose and rubberlip plecos (other plecos are also bad news) Snails can make good tankmates as well.

Thank you. My daughter has a ten gallon tropical tank with two fish so I will regime them in her tank. Thanks so much.

just google 'cory stuck in goldfish mouth' and you'll see all sorts of horror stories

Thank you. My daughter has a ten gallon tropical tank with two fish so I will regime them in her tank. Thanks so much.

no problem :) There are certainly stories of those who have kept these fish together without issue, but I personally think it isn't worth the risk ;)

Zelda is a great fish name ;) Have one of my own.

Your tank is looking good. And daughter's tank is so cute! The cories will be happy there.

You may want to do a little research on corydoras. From the little I know they should be kept in groups of 4-5 and a sand substrate is best for them since they are bottom feeders and their barbells are sensitive. They like to sift through the sand. Your daughters 10 gallon would be fine for a group of 4-5 of them I believe, but I think you would be fully stocked at that point.

Hopefully others that are more into tropical fishkeeping here than I am will chime in on this, but I'd recommend at least doing a little searching around to make sure you're providing the best environment for these little guys. They are really cool little fish. I have toyed with getting some for my 40 gallon betta tank before.

Thanks so much everyone. I am loving the Cory's to my daughters tropical tank. I got them from Petco as well and was told that I should have a min. Of two of them so I purchased the minimum. She is wanting more fish so I may introduce two more to complete her tank

Welcome to Kokos. You have very pretty fish.

Thanks so much everyone. I am loving the Cory's to my daughters tropical tank. I got them from Petco as well and was told that I should have a min. Of two of them so I purchased the minimum. She is wanting more fish so I may introduce two more to complete her tank

One thing you'll learn quickly are that pet store employees, as well meaning as they might be, generally cannot be trusted for accurate information unfortunately

One thing you'll learn quickly are that pet store employees, as well meaning as they might be, generally cannot be trusted for accurate information unfortunately

Agreed 100%.

I really love your little planters and the layout of your tank. The things everyone's mentioned here are 100% on-target as to ways to make it even better for the fish that live there.

I can't wait to see update pics when you've finished the small remodel. Your orandas are both so beautiful. Please post photos of them often. :heart